PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are your top 5 "most important" players for 2022?

1) Mac Jones-While he doesn’t have top talent at the skill positions he has what he needs to make a good second year jump. He now has WR’s who can stretch the field both vertically and horizontally, and that should open things up for everyone.

2) Christian Barmore-While they still need to stop the run better having a disruptive force up the middle is a big deal, and once again that benefits all around him.

3) Cole Strange-Taking a guard in the first was shocking, but it shows just how important it is to keep defenders from blowing up the interior pocket.

4) Matt Judon-He’s the new leader on this defense, and it’s tough to lead if you aren’t producing. If he’s producing it once again benefits everyone else by drawing attention away from them, and making the overall defense better.

5) Kyle Duggars-He’s a superior athlete, and he needs to become the leader of that secondary. They need big plays from him to lead their secondary.

This is the real changing of the guard from the Brady Patriots to Jones Patriots. They are building new leadership on every unit, and those leaders have to do so by example to be effective. It will be another year where they battle for a playoff spot, and hopefully they get there and win a playoff game in the process. They have gotten younger and now they have to get better to go with that. They are still a year or two away from being a legitimate super bowl contender, but hopefully they show enough across the board to only need a few more pieces to be a true contender no the coming years.

Several list Butler. I'm not sure that he is a favorite to make the 53.

I don’t believe Butler makes this team. This is a youth movement and I think the CB draft picks are kept over Butler and Williams.

I don’t believe Butler makes this team. This is a youth movement and I think the CB draft picks are kept over Butler and Williams.
Both can happen.
Mills
Butler
Jones
Jones
Jones
One spot still open

1) Mac Jones-While he doesn’t have top talent at the skill positions he has what he needs to make a good second year jump. He now has WR’s who can stretch the field both vertically and horizontally, and that should open things up for everyone.
What!? Mac Jones has as good an arm as anyone in the NFL. He is not as mobile as a lot of new QBs, but he has a superior arm. Last year the problem was the the Patriots did not have anyone who could get open (let's twist the knife here a little--the Patriots could have drafted Deebo Samuel and A. J. Brown, but nooooooooooo, Bill had to have his main man Harry). Whether the Patriots have addressed their WR problems remains to be seen, but I have high hope for Thornton, at least until he get injured.

What!? Mac Jones has as good an arm as anyone in the NFL. He is not as mobile as a lot of new QBs, but he has a superior arm. Last year the problem was the the Patriots did not have anyone who could get open (let's twist the knife here a little--the Patriots could have drafted Deebo Samuel and A. J. Brown, but nooooooooooo, Bill had to have his main man Harry). Whether the Patriots have addressed their WR problems remains to be seen, but I have high hope for Thornton, at least until he get injured.
Welll, he has lots of skills and positive traits... but he's not at the top of anybody's list for "laser rocket arm."

We all know that our last guy wasn't either, and he did okay. We will see how much the arm strength develops - it's not as if you go from "this guy in the dorm" to "gym rat" without gaining something on the field.

As for the famous "weapons" (main point of the post) we'll see how these guys do but I like everything I've seen about Thornton so far. Hopefully the optimism is reality-based. Our "main 3 guys" (Bourne, Meyers, Parker) need to get open, move chains, and hit the usual occasional homer... Thornton has the potential to be a disruptive force, but I'm just being seduced by happy horsestuff takes from the draft and an amazing 40 time. If we get a different Agholor in year 2 than year 1, this can be a dangerous unit... assuming O line success.

Fingers crossed

The most important players on this team are Mac Jones, Trent Brown, Davante Parker, Jonnu Smith and Rhamondre Stevenson.

All offense. The defense is what it is, a work in progress that will be hopefully completed next year. This year is about developing your QB, and you need a functional offense to do that.

Jones is the obvious answer, but Trent Brown's health and consistency are vital to Jones' growth. We need high level performance from two healthy tackles. Parker and Smith are the two missing pieces to the offensive skill positions. If Parker can emerge as the hard nosed physical WR we expected Harry to be, and if Smith can regain the respect of defenses as a Swiss army knife who can make a big play out of any situation, then we have the rest of the offensive pieces to paper cut defenses to submission. If they don't, we're stuck in a 2021 style holding pattern.

At no point have I ever said Mac Jones has a weak arm. What I have said is that they had no one who could stretch the field deep or wide, and they addressed both issues with Parker and Thornton. I think Jobescwas a great pick. I also wanted Samuel in that draft, but expected Harryvwould be better than the bust he turned out to be. You can criticize my take any time, but don’t make **** up: I have been a Jones supporter from the start.

What!? Mac Jones has as good an arm as anyone in the NFL. He is not as mobile as a lot of new QBs, but he has a superior arm.

giphy.gif

At no point have I ever said Mac Jones has a weak arm. What I have said is that they had no one who could stretch the field deep or wide, and they addressed both issues with Parker and Thornton. I think Jobescwas a great pick. I also wanted Samuel in that draft, but expected Harryvwould be better than the bust he turned out to be. You can criticize my take any time, but don’t make **** up: I have been a Jones supporter from the start.
Yeah, I know, you have been a solid Jones fan as I have been. Let's see what he can do with better WRs. I was so hoping that Jameson Williams dropped to the Patriots, but maybe Thornton will be the guy who can take the top off the defense.

Yeah, I know, you have been a solid Jones fan as I have been. Let's see what he can do with better WRs. I was so hoping that Jameson Williams dropped to the Patriots, but maybe Thornton will be the guy who can take the top off the defense.

Same here, but hopefully Thornton can give them that threat at the lower cost. I also think Bourne and a smith are going to have much better seasons. Bourne is a unit leader imo, and that’s always a big deal,

What makes you think Mac has a "superior arm" to any of the newer QBs? I would say his arm may be on par with Burrow's but he's carrying a pea shooter compared to Josh Allen, Mahomes, and Justin Herbert.

We can love Mac and be honest with ourselves at the same time

What makes you think Mac has a "superior arm" to any of the newer QBs? I would say his arm may be on par with Burrow's but he's carrying a pea shooter compared to Josh Allen, Mahomes, and Justin Herbert.

giphy.gif

@FredFromDartmouth is a good dude but out of his mind sometimes. I appreciate his ability to drop a bomb and just walk away. Probably slept like a baby that night he posted that.

In reality, if we're really looking at velocity, accuracy, placement, arm angles, strength, tight window passes etc I'm not sure where he'd be. I could see him making real improvements but based on what we saw, what's on film, last year. I'm not sure where you'd place him. Probably somewhere around where he is as a QB, 17-20 range.

@FredFromDartmouth is a good dude but out of his mind sometimes. I appreciate his ability to drop a bomb and just walk away. Probably slept like a baby that night he posted that.

In reality, if we're really looking at velocity, accuracy, placement, arm angles, strength, tight window passes etc I'm not sure where he'd be. I could see him making real improvements but based on what we saw, what's on film, last year. I'm not sure where you'd place him. Probably somewhere around where he is as a QB, 17-20 range.
Josh Allen can throw it from anywhere with multiple delivery points he's simply amazing. :cool:

I'll leave Jones and the OL out.

Barmore
Parker
Stevenson
McMillian
McGrone

Uche - Need some presence on the other edge
Barmore - Could become our next Seymour type
Mac Jones - Team goes where he goes
Marcus/ Jack Jones - hopefully we have two of our future corners. Plus Marcus Jones could be electric on special teams

Didn't expect to see Godchaux show up on anyone's list. I am expecting him to get cut as I believe they would save $5 million on the cap.
Did not age well.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back