PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are your top 5 "most important" players for 2022?

I get Jonnu or even another offensive target but I'm very comfortable giving Henry & Bourne 20-30 more targets each. Our passing game should run through them. Between Jakobi, Parker and Agholor we have plenty of targets to work with but each of those guys are our #1 & 2 options imo. I don't think it's essential for Smith to step up although it would be much welcomed. Improved blocking and a little more in the passing game would be perfect.

Wanted to say Dugger. Even though I think he'll show improvement yet again Barmore is our War / Big Daddy on defense. My favorite position is pass rush but having an elite IDL on your team is just as or more important than any position on defense. If he really breaks out that's the best news we can get besides Mac being a top 10 QB.

Rham gets on that list with a injury to Harris.

Our CB's are probably the biggest question mark on the team with the possible exception for LB. So Jack Jones and Al Wilson or Mcgrone should be up there.

My boy Marcus Jones bc he's essentially replacing two people eventually having a role on D & ST. Possibly a few snaps on O. He a good one. Especially with the CB group the way it is.

I am hoping one of the young guys out of McGrone, Uche, Perkins, and Jennings step up to give us some sort of return on investment.
Let s imagine if all 4 step up in a significant way all season... this would make a massive improvement for the overall team and a probable very interesting season on the horizon...we need on defense this season something better from last one...probably a must if we want be contenders in a tough conference

Let s imagine if all 4 step up in a significant way all season... this would make a massive improvement for the overall team and a probable very interesting season on the horizon...we need on defense this season something better from last one...probably a must if we want be contenders in a tough conference

I agree completely. BB usually drafts guys or signs veteran FAs if he thinks some guys are busts. Since he didn't draft on Defense (to everyone's surprise) let's hope that he knows (and we don't) that Uche, Perkins, Jennings, and McGrone will be OK and grow with the season. Fingers crossed.

At this point I am just glad the old LBs are out of the way. Van Noy, Collins, and as much as I loved what he did here, Hightower, needed to go and make room for the young guys. I know the argument that if the young guys were better they would have beat out the vets but I think they need playing time in order to get better. The old guys are what Parcells used to call "progress stoppers".

1. Mac Jones - obvious.

2. Trent Brown - if he's truly going to LT, we need the big guy healthy. Difference maker.

3. Any of the linebackers - someone needs to step up and take control of the room. Defense had no teeth last year and by seasons end we were pushed around by lousy rushing teams. Prime Hightower is not walking through that door - Bentley, McMillian, Uche, Wilson, McGrone...whatever. Someone needs to make an impact here.

4. Barmore - I love a guy who plays with an edge and controlled violence. If he keeps ascending - watch out.

5. Bourne - If last season was just scratching the surface , then there's alot of untapped potential here. Maybe not the traditional wr1 where he just lines up and goes to get it vs anyone but he can be schemed to be a constant threat/big time contributor. Think Deebo Samuel. What's a little scary is.....that's going to depend on the OCs.

BONUS*** Coaches who are now working with new titles and position groups.

Wynn - needs to play better and more consistent
Parker - needs to add that #1 WR to the offense
Smith - Needs to be the TE we expected
Stevenson - will take over the #1 RB slot soon (no knock on Harris)
Mac10 - we go as he goes

My list:

1.) Mac Jones - We ain't going anywhere if he does not step up.
2.) Matthew Judon - We can't afford for him to get hurt or gassed out like he was in the end of last season.
3.) Josh Uche - We need his pressure.....no excuses for this season.
4.) Kyle Dugger - We need him to step up in a BIG way.
5.) Christian Barmore - We need him to dominate the LOS!

Good list. BB is gonna hear a lot of questions if Strange doesn't look like a first round pick.

Harris and Rham also need to stay healthy.
Harris will miss time with injuries after getting planted running upright, like he does every year. Each year, he's had odd "finishes" to runs where he sheds contact but inexplicably ends up getting stopped cold by someone he apparently didn't see/expect the contact from. I don't think that is going to change as the miles add up.

Rham needs to stay healthy. He's a god damned animal.

White being available at all could be doubtful at this point. Hip injuries don't usually bode well.

I think the rookie will get opportunities due to injuries.

I just deleted a long post that wasn't directly responsive to the quesiton.

The answer is,
1) Mac Jones.

2) [Your name(s) here] excelling in the WR corps. The best bet right now is probably Tyquant. Quant because of the measurables. Live up to them, and this is a different team. What's exciting is that this role could be filled by the other faster receivers we have around, including if Agholor takes a step up. Then we have a whole vertical dimension. I don't usually get all starry eyed about this possibility but it really seems possible with Mac Progress, a lilttle O Line help, and the speed infusion. Camp will telll, or ultimately, game play will tell.

In the RB room, I share a hope that Rhamimal stays healthy but they are on a "next man up" hot streak. One strength of this team is resilience at the RB position. They have the committee down to a science.

I cannot name a single player, including Judon, who can make or break the defense next year. I don't know what it will look like yet. Ask me in January or February who it was on defense.

We have 4 receivers that have to perform as well as last year. For the 4th of them, Agholor, I'd love a bump. They're only important if they fail to do so. One can fail. Two cannot.

3) If Strange is special enough to play a leadership role on the O-line, as an anchor, then yeah him too. But again that's assuming 4 other guys plus subs also doing their job

4) and (5), tell you next year.

We're building to be a tough out during a long season. That is a decrement to the "star system" and we might be ahead of the curve in this.

I agree with a lot of the names listed but I'd like to throw in Nick Folk. He was money last season. We don't have a powerhouse offense so every point we can get is going to be critical.

Several list Butler. I'm not sure that he is a favorite to make the 53.

I agree with a lot of the names listed but I'd like to throw in Nick Folk. He was money last season. We don't have a powerhouse offense so every point we can get is going to be critical.
I was tempted to have him at 5. Hard to imagine he can keep up that pace at this age but we will really need him to.

A) Mac Jones - the team rises or sinks based on his play
B) Wynn being on blindside of Mac needs to be exemplary.
C) agholor/ Parker to rise to ocassion to become defacto WR 1 or stretch the field threat
D) Barmore / Judon to amp up the pass rush threat
E) Josh uche coming to his own and leading the line backing corps.

1 Patricia - New schemes take time and this NE offense enters uncharted waters with MP. It does not matter how good the players are with suspect play calling.
2 Stevie B - Unless something has changed, I expect him to be the DC calling the defense. The challenge is bigger this year in the absence of JC Jackson.
3 Thornton - The new offense depends on him and his big play ability. If he can come through, it will make life easier for Agahlor and others.
4 Judon - Was an absolute force last season until injury. The NE defense naturally fell off after Judon was hurt and less effective.
5 Jones - Thornton, Agahlor, Parker will not thrive without arm strength. Dinking and dunking must be limited.

Yeah keeping my eye on Judon too. Has to stay healthy. Still unhappy with the defense's decline last December and January especially ending with that historic playoff loss but if he really was hurt then that makes me feel better. Barmore like Mac hopefully takes a huge second year jump.

I think the secondary will surprise in a good way. Bill usually doesn't have a problem patching together one if he needs to.

Anytime I think of the secondary being a question mark I go back to 2015 where they let Revis, Browner & Arrington walk. They played CB4/CB5 Butler Ryan outside & picked up rookie UDFA Justin Coleman off the street to man the slot. They were above average (I think people forget the CB talent wasn’t that great 2015-2016). They need one player to step up next to Mills & Jones.

1. Mac Jones - obvious. The team’s upside this season & beyond is mostly with him.

2. Christian Barmore - The defense completely changes if he turns into an All-Pro type on the interior:

He played as well as you could for a rookie DT. He should start finishing sacks & improve against the run.

3. DeVante Parker - The most talented WR on the team. He’d help take passing offense to another level.

4. Josh Uche - He’s flashed his rookie season & the start of last year before disappearing. The team needs a consistent 3rd pass rusher to nake up for the deficiencies in the secondary.

5. Trent Brown - has to stay healthy. The offense was noticeably better when he was in the lineup.

It’s Mac & Barmore by a mile IMO.

1) Mac Jones
2) Mack Wilson
3) Jonathan Jones
4) Marcus Jones
5) Jack Jones

4 of those 5 have to play at a high level, and I think the top 4 will at least.

1.) Mac jones - it is imperative that this offense is scoring early and often and is much more prolific than last year!
2.) Mac jones - our defense has more leaks than the titanic (post ice berg). Jones has to put points on the board similar to what he did at alabama!
3.) Mac jones - Our coaching staff or lack thereof is filled with retreads and nepotism! Jones has to lead the qb room and master the offense on his own while bb is changing his diaper; fat mat is enjoying his 3rd lunch and judge is coaching special teams to a confused looking hoyer and zappe. Jones must put tons of points on the board.
4.) Mac jones - our wide receiver core has a bunch of slot receivers, an outside guy that breaks down more often than a jets fan taking the Mensa test and it had a Speedy rookie that can hide behind a pencil and is one hit from a year on the trainers table. It is critical that jones gets this collection of yugo’s to over achieve and score mega points.
5.) Mac jones - the offense line is in flux. Andrews is coming off shoulder surgery, we have two new guards and our left and right tackles switched places. They could be good run blockers, but the pass protection is downright frightening. Jones has to make quick reads and get the ball very quickly because his career could be over on any given snap. Thanks bb! Scoring early and often will allow us to run the ball more and keep jones out of the emergency room.

1. Jones
  2. Barmore's DT partner
  3. CB1
  4. LT
  5. Parker

Probably in that order, and assuming good health.

Health = "Luck" in football. They need to be healthy first.

Beyond that the middle of the defense, how about Uche or McGrone... one of them has to work for team success in 2022.

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back