PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which school will we double dip our drafting stick into??

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which school are we eye f'n draft weekend??

• Michigan

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Alabama

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • SDST

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • PSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Minnesota

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Georgia

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Houston

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Clemson

• NDST

• Total voters
Coaches he trust.

Most definitely. Not always correctly (Urban Meyer, Florida).

I think he definitely looks at which school is running which scheme. Who's running stuff that translates.

This is much more debatable. Yes, of course, to the first sentence. But do you only take people who are doing stuff that is like what you'll be doing in the NFL? There is a huge difference between college and the pros for all sorts of reasons. You have to reckon with the gap and build it in. It will be different for different positions. But you can get value too if you make the difference work for you (taking Shaq Mason as a lineman, even if he hadn't pass protected in college). Whoever figured out that Justin Herbert would thrive in the pro offenses of the NFL was a genius -- or just very, very lucky.

Wish I was a fly on the wall.

Me too. Though it would mean more to you than it does to me! (My suspicion is that Bill doesn't actually share his thoughts fully even to his fellow-coaches, though. That's why he had Ernie Adams.)

Last edited:
Most definitely. Not always correctly (Urban Meyer, Florida).

This is much more debatable. Yes, of course, to the first sentence. But do you only take people who are doing stuff that is like what you'll be doing in the NFL? There is a huge difference between college and the pros for all sorts of reasons. You have to reckon with the gap and build it in. It will be different for different positions. But you can get value too if you make the difference work for you (taking Shaq Mason as a lineman, even if he hadn't pass protected in college). Whoever figured out that Justin Herbert would thrive in the pro offenses of the NFL was a genius -- or just very, very lucky.
No of course not that's where projection comes in. Guys like Herbert and Mason are great examples of "what you were asked to do vs what you can do." Somewhat similar to evaluating small school prospects. The competition might be terrible. They're running a certain scheme bc they have a bunch of similar types. Their system won't translate 100% but guys stick out.

Michael Thomas had about 100 rec in 4 years of college. One of the better examples projection. Taking a guy like Edelman who'll never make it as QB but seeing how shifty and tough he is.
Me too. Though it would mean more to you than it does to me! (My suspicion is that Bill doesn't actually share his thoughts fully even to his fellow-coaches, though. That's why he had Ernie Adams.)
Yea that'd a select select group.

Last year bb doubled up on Oklahoma picks.

It is impossible to watch Oklahoma defense tape and not notice asmoush making plays all over the field.

Georgia, and we probably won't have to wait too long to hit the double dip.

Anybody from Illinois worth taking?

HC Bret Bielema was assistant to BB and coached for Joe Judge.

Anybody from Illinois worth taking?

HC Bret Bielema was assistant to BB and coached for Joe Judge.

There is a day 3 offensive tackle named Lowe that has upside.

And there is a day 2 playmaking safety that might interest bb.

There is a day 3 offensive tackle named Lowe that has upside.

And there is a day 2 playmaking safety that might interest bb.
Just a thought.

BB likes the obscure puck.

Kentucky

How good is Georgia? Here are 11 draft picks that would all make the Pats roster...

Plus if you need a punter, they have the second best one in the draft.

To hell with double dipping, lets grab Zamir White too and go for a baker's dozen!

Arkansas - Pittman?? Stevenson, Wise, Flowers
Sam Pittman is doing an _incredible_ job transforming the Arkansas Razorbacks.

One has to go back to the early 1990s with Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin to see something similar.

Two years ago the program was 2-11.

Last year the Razorbacks curb stomped the Nittany Lions 24-10 without Treylon Burks at the Outback Bowl. Penn State has had elite recruiting classes for years.

So expect the nfl talent to start flowing hot and heavy out of Arkansas in the next few years like it is now with Georgia and Bama.

A bunch. Kerby Joesph wouldn't surprise me at all. Few other late round/ udfa guys like Hanson.

Like this guy

Stands to reason that Illinois might use a defense and offense similar to the Patriots.

Also, having worked together, Beilema could be a trusted source for who would fit in NE. Even a player from an opponent having scouted that team. I still believe that Nick Saban gave BB a heads up on Jamie Collins and BJGE.

University of Houston.

They’ve got an outside LBer, a CB, and a center that could all make the 53 man roster.

Georgia = Davis - Pickens.

Georgia = Dean - Pickens.

Was going to say, I wonder if he's gonna party like it's 2013 and draft Bo Melton and Isaih Pacheco (who prob will be udfa but that 4.37 and the fact that he's a former QB might get him some attention - can't get a consistent spelling for this guy's name). Both seem like great high character dudes who went to Rutgers with loyalty in mind. Plus he'd get the super inside scoop from Schiano. Can't speak to their play, though.

Edit: Current Pats Fellowship coach Ross Douglas was in Player Dev in Rutgers for a few years while they were there, so Pats'd have a serious inside scoop.

Edit2: Both these guys were captains at Rutgers (Bo 2x). Pacheco was a captain his frosh year in HS. Pacheco had dealt with a lot of adversity. Geez.
Bo Melton have excellent testing numbers he would be more talked about if he went to one of those other WR pipeline Schools. I would love Melton on double dip seems like we could get him in the Fourth possibly 5th Round great value. It would be nice to have some young WR's on Rookie contracts going forward.

A bunch. Kerby Joesph wouldn't surprise me at all. Few other late round/ udfa guys like Hanson.

Like this guy

Nice find he has very quick feet how is he at the point of attack?

Nice find he has very quick feet how is he at the point of attack?
Not bad actually. Hit or miss using leverage though which bothers me bc he's only 6'1/6'2 300. He can't lose many of those battles. He's a smart player. Moves very well. Probably specific to zone but he's got a little potential.

Georgia = Davis - Pickens.

Georgia = Dean - Pickens.
I would be very concerned about Pickens. It is really sad that a kid with so much raw talent is such a hot head and can't seem to control himself. He was ejected from a game against GT when they were up about 50 points for throwing punches! I mean seriously who does that? He also cost his team a huge penalty against TENN is a very close game by picking up a water bottle and spraying the water in a defenders face.
Of course he didn't play much last year due to injury and these events happened the year before, so maybe he has matured. Maybe the injury and time away will help him grow up.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back