PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which QB would you like to see the Patriots target in the draft?

A counterpoint is that no rookie is going to be much (or any) better than Cam this season. So if the early draft doesn't go our way and BB's choice becomes:
a) sacrifice the whole draft to take a risk on a rookie QB who's not your top choice and who won't be productive for a year
vs.
b) get a defensive stud who helps right away, keep the draft board intact, get Mills or Mond in round 2, and pick up a Minshew

Then "b" has to be given consideration.
I can see a rookie quarterback throwing more than eight touchdown passes. For instance, Joe Burrow only played 10 games last season and had thirteen TDs, five interceptions, and a rating of 89.8. Cam's numbers were 8, 10, and 82.9 for fifteen starts.

Pretty interesting breakdown someone else posted earlier.

There is no realistic situation where we could get Lawrence or Wilson, so I won't mention them.

I really like Mac Jones and Trey Lance, although they're very different beasts. I would be very happy to get either, whether via a trade up or if by some stroke of fortune one of them drop to 15.

I am not as big on Fields as others are, I wouldn't trade up for him personally. If he fell to us at 15, I'm still not sure I'd take him, depending who else is on the board. I get that this is very much a contrarian view, but I have concerns about his mental make up and think he has massive bust potential.

There is no other QB I'd consider in the 1st. I wouldn't hate Davis Mills or Kellen Mond in the 2nd, but I'd be happier if we got one of them in the 3rd. After that I'm not really sure there's anyone I'd be particularly interested in. Maybe Ehlinger. I don't like Jamie Newman and I think Kyle Trask is a wasted pick for whoever takes him. I might kick the tires on KJ Costello as an UDFA, because he's got some nice traits but is too streaky and inconsistent.

I think it’s clear Lawrence and Wilson are 1 and 2. I think it’s very unclear that a or some teams believe Fields or Lance are worthy of top 5.
Teams will have to give up a lot to move up there, they better be sure about the player, really need a QB and have a good enough roster around the QB to be able to trade so many picks.
Who do you think fits that?
many teams need quarterbacks.

I expect that 2 will overpay for Fields and Lance.

One is also likely to overpay for Jones.
==========
We keep saying "overpaid" as if this word has meaning. As in free agency, a player and/or a pick is what a team is willing to pay.

When you are picking in the top 7-10 you pick presuming you just drafted a career pro bowl caliber player.
Unless it’s a QB. Then you drafted on hope and overdrafted the player because of the position.
I do NOT believe that those picking 7-10 reasonably expect a "career pro bowl player". I suppose that we could look at draft a decade ago and see what percentage have become career pro-bowlers.

If that what such a pick is, then I guess that it is right to routinely trade down, unless in the position of extreme need.

I do NOT believe that those picking 7-10 reasonably expect a "career pro bowl player". I suppose that we could look at draft a decade ago and see what percentage have become career pro-bowlers.

If that what such a pick is, then I guess that it is right to routinely trade down, unless in the position of extreme need.
Really. Can you give me some examples of guys picked in the top 7-10 that teams chose expecting them to not be probowl caliber players?

many teams need quarterbacks.

I expect that 2 will overpay for Fields and Lance.

One is also likely to overpay for Jones.
==========
We keep saying "overpaid" as if this word has meaning. As in free agency, a player and/or a pick is what a team is willing to pay.
I define it in the draft as drafting a guy higher than his ranking among players because of the position he plays and the teams need/desperation to fill it. It’s why there are so many qb busts.

And I fully expect the patriots to overpay for a QB because they have a monumental need at the position on a team that is certainly a qb away.

I define it in the draft as drafting a guy higher than his ranking among players because of the position he plays and the teams need/desperation to fill it. It’s why there are so many qb busts.

And I fully expect the patriots to overpay for a QB because they have a monumental need at the position on a team that is certainly a qb away.
ranking among college players? where are those rankings?

But only to a point. Earlier you were saying the Pats "must" draft a QB in the first round. While that may be BB's goal as well, there's limits to what he'll pay, or a non-QB may fall that he loves (e.g., Waddle), or there may be trouble finding a trading partner. There's still a value proposition in play even when willing to overpay for a QB.

Chris Sims works hard looking at tape of all the top QB's in the upcoming draft. I know his opinion is just one guy's opinion, but he's a knowledgeable guy who has had a direct understanding of what the Pats look for when evaluating QB's Listening to his QB pod should be a must for everyone trying to opine on this topic. I think you should also look at post by our own draft gurus like BGS or LD or several others to do their own hard homework for our benefit.

All that being said, let me be the one to ring the bell of PATIENCE.

a. Wilson and Lawrence will go 1-2 in the draft. Take that to the bank. The Jets will either take one or trade the pick to someone, not us. But before you want to race to 7 with a bunch of picks, please remember that Lance, Fields and Jones are ALL one year wonders. And Lance's one year was a full year ago.

Lance and Wilson have a ton of physical attributes, but neither belongs in an NFL game before 2022. So all those assets that you give up won't be seen on the field this season. And as far as Jones goes he's more player ready, but also comes with a slew of warning alarms. 1. He played with 2 NFL ready receivers who will go in the first round. He played with an OL that will ALL be drafted when their time comes. His stats were more than impressive but it did come with a stacked team and down year for the SEC.

How will the Pillsbury doughboy hold up under an NFL pass rush. Is he Tom Brady/Drew Bledsoe tough, or is he Tony Eason soft (a good QB who was beat to death under a bad OL and was never the same.) I wonder if the 23 year old is any more ready PHYSICALLY than Tom was in 2000.

So each of these come with a LOT of questions for us or anyone else who might be thinking of drafting them in the top 10 like a lot of mocks have all 4 going. But what if these other team's GM's are thinking the same thing. I mean think about it. I'd love to end up with Lance, but this is a kid who hasn't played a meaningful game since 2019 and when he did it was in a simplistic offensive system against division 2 or IA competition. His physical talents notwithstanding, isn't Lance the very DEFINITION of a reach in any part of the first round let alone in the top 7.

If they love him (or any of the others) and he's there at 15, I'd be OK with the pick knowing its a HUGE reach. But for now, I'm not willing to give up assets at the top of the draft when the reality of those players are smacking me in my face.

As far as Mond, Mills etc take them in the 2nd or third and I'm OK with that. BTW- Guess what, next year there are going to be 5-7 OTHER QB's to select.

As for me I'm all for staying pat for now and let the draft come to us. If none of our guys are there, then go get Minchew or the like to sit behind Cam I would have loved Trubitsky as a back up, but that ship has sailed (good pick up for Buffalo)

ranking among college players? where are those rankings?
In the minds of the people drafting the players and the scouting evaluations they work from. Come on don’t be obtuse.

But only to a point. Earlier you were saying the Pats "must" draft a QB in the first round. While that may be BB's goal as well, there's limits to what he'll pay, or a non-QB may fall that he loves (e.g., Waddle), or there may be trouble finding a trading partner. There's still a value proposition in play even when willing to overpay for a QB.
Then you trade up to get the one you want. You can’t spend all your money to paint your car and not have any gas.
Im saying no matter what it takes he has to get the QB.

In the minds of the people drafting the players and the scouting evaluations they work from. Come on don’t be obtuse.
Which QB's do you believe are considered top 10 worthy by your favorite scouting folks?

Whether a player is drafted 5 or 10 seems to depend much more on who will pay, and the availability of deals.

However, if there are 4 players "worthy of the top 10", then (if Bill agrees), he should get one if he can.

Of course, the issue comes in what I have called "red chip players" who could be drafted anywhere from 11 to the end of the round, depending on year. To be more clear, one year this group might be drafted 15-25 or a bit higher or lower depending on who sneaks in.

Which QB's do you believe are considered top 10 worthy by your favorite scouting folks?
[/QUOTE]
I am not an nfl GM, I have not evaluated the entire draft class, I have no scouts giving me recommendations or no reports from anyone.

What you are strawmanning away with here is the assumption that if i haven’t evaluated the entire draft class I can’t understand that it’s common for QBs to be drafted higher than their grade would indicate or that desperate teams reach to fill need.
I mean it’s kind of obvious.

Whether a player is drafted 5 or 10 seems to depend much more on who will pay, and the availability of deals.
This doesn’t make sense to me. Who will pay what?
However, if there are 4 players "worthy of the top 10", then (if Bill agrees), he should get one if he can.
If the only qb he can get is graded as 25 he should take him. That’s my point.
Of course, the issue comes in what I have called "red chip players" who could be drafted anywhere from 11 to the end of the round, depending on year. To be more clear, one year this group might be drafted 15-25 or a bit higher or lower depending on who sneaks in.
I don’t understand what you are trying to say here either.

I think Zach Wilson is the superior QB in this year's draft and more NFL ready than Lawrence or the others - that being said we have no chance to get him and based on Belichick's track record he won't move to take any early QB so my guess is a guy like Kyle Trask later on

BB has moved up to get players in the past. QB is a unique position. I'd bet if BB liked a QB he'd move up to get him. Which is what I think he's going to do.

I think we should trade up to get Bortles or Darnold at #3, Mariota or Wentz or Trubinsky at #2, or go all in to get Winston or Goff at #1. If I'm in a Good place, Bortles would be my main pick. Jimmy G would probably be the 5th QB taken, so maybe he'll slide to the 2nd Rnd if we can't get any of the above.

Whoever was projected by their handlers to go in the 1st but falls to the 2nd or 3rd round - likely Jones. If that doesn't happen, I'm thinking it's gonna be Newman in the 4th or 5th. Whom do I actually want that's relatively realistic that may not require trading up? Lance. That being said, BB is old and may just say F it and trade the next 4 1sts for Trevor. This dog (or Nike) is not messing around this year.

I'm still with Jones although I'd be very happy with Lance. Everybody talks about the talent around Jones, but they don't often mention the talent he was playing against and pretty much obliterating.

I'd like to see a trade for JG and draft Mac Jones. JG starts with Cam off the bench and Jones learning for the future.

I'd like to see a trade for JG and draft Mac Jones. JG starts with Cam off the bench and Jones learning for the future.
My guess is we will have Cam, Stidham, and a rookie. I can't see us trading for JG and taking a mediocre qb in the third round, why bother. Of course they may very well do that, but I am hopeful we won't.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back