PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which QB would you like to see the Patriots target in the draft?

I predict Jones or Trask, maybe Franks on day 3. Not sure which QB I like.
I used to be high on Trask but he was exposed badly without Pitts against Oklahoma. Franks we shouldn’t touch with ten 10 foot poles connected to one another. He is pure and utter garbage.

If there's any scenario they can grab Wilson then I'm all for it no matter the cost. If we send 3 1sts and it works out, then it'd be 3 low firsts anyway. Especially considering the returns on Pats 1st rounders the last 10 years. Then again that's what dug them into the hole 2019 and 2020...

I think they want trey lance. They sent their top scout to look at him, and it explains partially the cam newton deal. He has a similar play style and clearly is not ready to play year 1.

Whether they can trade up and get him is another story.

But if Bill thinks someone in this draft can be "the guy" he should have no qualms about trading his picks to get them.

Agree, Trask is trash. Having watched every snap Mac Jones has taken at Alabama(my daughter attends), I think people are underestimating him. The accuracy numbers are real. He did not pad his stats in a dink-and-dunk passing attack, nor did he always have wide-open receivers he could miss a little. His deep-ball numbers were helped by Devonta Smith because he is an absolute freak on contested balls, but I can't remember him underthrowing deep balls to his high-end speedster WRs. I've seen him squeeze throws into small windows, and routinely know where those windows are by reading the defense. You can say he only has around 15 starts under his belt, but running the scout team at Alabama before that gives him about 3 years of experience facing a pro level secondary on a daily basis.
Good info. The few times I watched Jones, he moved that offense with authority. He seemed to be mentally ahead of the action, making the right throws on time, hit every pass including a few on the move, and he was reasonably mobile and willing to run when necessary. I tried to discount what I was seeing to Alabama's talent, but he looked very talented too. The only question I have is does he have the arm strength to make a strong out pass?

Well now you have me curious. Good to see you back, by the way.
I was going to ask you whether you gave Lawrence the same ‘surrounding talent’ penalty as you do Mac Jones but the post came across as confrontational which was not my intent and sadly you can’t delete posts anymore.

And thank You. Missed the camaraderie of this place.

If you google Jones at the senior bowl, there are just as many people saying he was amazing as are saying he was bad. He didn't play so it is tough. And I don't follow the scouting group to know enough about who to trust. But I watched Moneyball the other day, and thought of this a bit. They have the baseball scouts who are saying don't draft so and so because he doesn't look like a baseball player. I think some scouts are judging him based upon his looks and athleticism, rather than his actual throwing abilities. Chris Sims ranks them all
  1. Zach Wilson, BYU
  2. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
  3. Mac Jones, Alabama
  4. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
  5. Justin Fields, Ohio State
  6. Trey Lance, North Dakota State
So I guess it goes back to who you trust doing your scouting.

If Wilson makes it past #2 I would hope they try all they can to go get him.

I love Wilson. He’s my favorite “attainable” QB in the draft. Something like only 13% of his throws were deemed “uncatchable” last year. That’s insane. But there is no way that he’s more pro-ready than Lawrence. Not even close.
I think when its all said and done,Wilson will have a better career

What track record tells you that?
What QB has BelichIck drafted in the first round?...i'll wait -Sure brady was here but Bill clearly has had no interest in the past 20 years to take a high profile QB and he likely won't this year - look for one in the 3rd or later as usual

What QB has BelichIck drafted in the first round?...i'll wait -Sure brady was here but Bill clearly has had no interest in the past 20 years to take a high profile QB and he likely won't this year - look for one in the 3rd or later as usual
When has belichick needed a qb?
Yes I agree in all the years that he didn’t need a qb he didn’t draft one in the first round.
Of course that’s totally irrelevant.

When has belichick needed a qb?
Yes I agree in all the years that he didn’t need a qb he didn’t draft one in the first round.
Of course that’s totally irrelevant.
Belichick has said multiple times in the past that he picks the player he feels is the best talent and fit on the board for the Patriots at the time of their selection regardless of position...if you never heard that you must have been sleeping the past 2 decades....with that being said if at #15 Belichick sees one of these QBs as the best talent on the board he might draft one - if its a TE or S he might take them,no one knows what is in his mind - thats the way he has conducted drafts since 2000 and I doubt he changes his philosophy whether we agree with his picks or not

Belichick has said multiple times in the past that he picks the player he feels is the best talent and fit on the board for the Patriots at the time of their selection regardless of position...if you never heard that you must have been sleeping the past 2 decades....with that being said if at #15 Belichick sees one of these QBs as the best talent on the board he might draft one - if its a TE or S he might take them,no one knows what is in his mind - thats the way he has conducted drafts since 2000 and I doubt he changes his philosophy whether we agree with his picks or not
Belichick says a lot of things. If you are so obtuse to think that belichick publicly states the philosophy he uses so that everyone can predict what he will do you have been asleep for a long time.
He NEEDS to fix the QB problem. It is far and away the biggest hole and will prevent this team from going anywhere. He knows that. He has ALWAYS factored need into his draft picks. ALWAYS. Today the need at QB is greater than all other needs combined. He has often traded into the spot where need meets value, up or down.
If he has to trade up and give up this years 1 and 2 and next years 1 and 2, so be it. He has to fix the gaping hole that he has at QB if he expects to win. He is well aware that having the worst QB in the nfl is the biggest handicap any team can have.

The Jets at #2 will take Wilson, restart the rookie wage scale, and get a 2nd or 3rd for Darnold from a Wash or SF. Miami at #3 will stay pat and take a position player, there's a lot of great talent besides QB's and they've got plenty of picks so I don't see them trading down. Both the Jets and Phins should worry us with the draft capital they have and their competent new coaches.

Our best trade-up opportunity to get Lance is with either Atlanta at #4 or Cinci at #5, as neither wants a QB and they both have a lot of needs. To move up 10 spots in the upper half of the 1st round should be possible for a 3rd or 4th this year, and our 2022 1st. Any package to move up that far would have to include next year's 1st. I think that's our best shot.

Philly at #6 has a QB and hopefully will stay pat and draft a position player. If we can't make the deal for 4 or 5, then at #7 is Detroit who now has Goff and will not be looking for a QB. A deal with them could be done with just this year's capital - a 2nd plus a 4th. But if Lance is still around at 7, there will be other bidders and it may be harder to close that deal.

Carolina at #8 is competition, they need a QB. Denver at #9 is hard to read - are they going QB or will they stay with Lock who looked pretty good against us last year.

Lance seems like a top 5 prospect. Jones is in the 10-15 range. The guy I'm having the hardest time figuring is Fields: is he a good fit for us, and at what spot in the draft?

Belichick says a lot of things. If you are so obtuse to think that belichick publicly states the philosophy he uses so that everyone can predict what he will do you have been asleep for a long time.
He NEEDS to fix the QB problem. It is far and away the biggest hole and will prevent this team from going anywhere. He knows that. He has ALWAYS factored need into his draft picks. ALWAYS. Today the need at QB is greater than all other needs combined. He has often traded into the spot where need meets value, up or down.
If he has to trade up and give up this years 1 and 2 and next years 1 and 2, so be it. He has to fix the gaping hole that he has at QB if he expects to win. He is well aware that having the worst QB in the nfl is the biggest handicap any team can have.
I do agree that we have the biggest smelling pile of garbage at starting QB in the NFL and Cam is embarrasing to watch but don't rule out a move to come before the draft,that will change everything - I see no sense that Bill picked up 2 of the best TEs in the NFL and 2 mid depth WRs only to have a piece of washed up dung throwing them the ball and he likely won't rely on a rookie to do it either so I think something is in the cards soon with a big QB trade/pickup in FA - Jimmy,Watson ect

The Jets at #2 will take Wilson, restart the rookie wage scale, and get a 2nd or 3rd for Darnold from a Wash or SF. Miami at #3 will stay pat and take a position player, there's a lot of great talent besides QB's and they've got plenty of picks so I don't see them trading down. Both the Jets and Phins should worry us with the draft capital they have and their competent new coaches.

Our best trade-up opportunity to get Lance is with either Atlanta at #4 or Cinci at #5, as neither wants a QB and they both have a lot of needs. To move up 10 spots in the upper half of the 1st round should be possible for a 3rd or 4th this year, and our 2022 1st. Any package to move up that far would have to include next year's 1st. I think that's our best shot.

Philly at #6 has a QB and hopefully will stay pat and draft a position player. If we can't make the deal for 4 or 5, then at #7 is Detroit who now has Goff and will not be looking for a QB. A deal with them could be done with just this year's capital - a 2nd plus a 4th. But if Lance is still around at 7, there will be other bidders and it may be harder to close that deal.

Carolina at #8 is competition, they need a QB. Denver at #9 is hard to read - are they going QB or will they stay with Lock who looked pretty good against us last year.

Lance seems like a top 5 prospect. Jones is in the 10-15 range. The guy I'm having the hardest time figuring is Fields: is he a good fit for us, and at what spot in the draft?
While I think the idea that everyone is drafting QBs is very exaggerated, I would disagree that Philly has a QB. They have a 2nd round pick that was likely a pick to be a slash type player who played a couple of games as a rookie and really didn’t look very good. Philly has one of the most unsettled QB situations in the league. They are basically hoping on a long shot.
Detriot took Goff because they had to in order to get the picks. He has a ridiculous contract and could be retraded or cut. He is not an entrenched Qb deemed the answer.

I do agree that we have the biggest smelling pile of garbage at starting QB in the NFL and Cam is embarrasing to watch but don't rule out a move to come before the draft,that will change everything - I see no sense that Bill picked up 2 of the best TEs in the NFL and 2 mid depth WRs only to have a piece of washed up dung throwing them the ball and he likely won't rely on a rookie to do it either so I think something is in the cards soon with a big QB trade/pickup in FA - Jimmy,Watson ect
That move is the draft. Watson is untraceable right now. Jimmy can’t stay on the field. Even healthy Jimmy doesn’t project to be better than the guy we draft who will be on a rookie contract. Jimmy would require a first round pick as well because he can’t be relied on which damns the plan to get his 25 mill cap number down by converting it to a bonus, extending and spreading it out.
Jimmy on a low 1 year deal plus a 1st round qb? Sure. But that isn’t possible.

While I think the idea that everyone is drafting QBs is very exaggerated, I would disagree that Philly has a QB. They have a 2nd round pick that was likely a pick to be a slash type player who played a couple of games as a rookie and really didn’t look very good. Philly has one of the most unsettled QB situations in the league. They are basically hoping on a long shot.
Detriot took Goff because they had to in order to get the picks. He has a ridiculous contract and could be retraded or cut. He is not an entrenched Qb deemed the answer.
I don't disagree with either point which is more reason to try to deal with Atlanta or Cinci.

I don't disagree with either point which is more reason to try to deal with Atlanta or Cinci.
It depends on who we want. Assume we are good with Lance, Jones and Fields. I think jones is there at 15. I’m starting to believe fields will be as well.
But WE MUST GET THE QB.
I would go in with a framework in place with a number of teams and let it run. But once only 1 guy we want is left, go get him. I would rather trade up to 7 to get a guy who most likely would still be there at 15 then lose all of them.

That move is the draft. Watson is untraceable right now. Jimmy can’t stay on the field. Even healthy Jimmy doesn’t project to be better than the guy we draft who will be on a rookie contract. Jimmy would require a first round pick as well because he can’t be relied on which damns the plan to get his 25 mill cap number down by converting it to a bonus, extending and spreading it out.
Jimmy on a low 1 year deal plus a 1st round qb? Sure. But that isn’t possible.
We will never take Watson even if available at a discount given Kraft's massage parlor incident.

Jimmy G would be a great fit here, but if it's not done before draft day, or at least before Atlanta is on the clock, then it seems unlikely cause we can't sit back and hope. The only way I see that happening in time for us is if SF likes Darnold and can trade with the Jets before the draft, then flip Jimmy to us to recoup the draft choice(s). Both of them are incented to do it before the draft starts so they can get usable picks this year. There's a decent chance of it happening if SF likes Darnold.

It depends on who we want. Assume we are good with Lance, Jones and Fields. I think jones is there at 15. I’m starting to believe fields will be as well.
But WE MUST GET THE QB.
I would go in with a framework in place with a number of teams and let it run. But once only 1 guy we want is left, go get him. I would rather trade up to 7 to get a guy who most likely would still be there at 15 then lose all of them.
The thing working against is there's 5-6 teams ahead of us who are or could be looking QB: Jags, Jets, maybe Philly, maybe Lions, Panthers, maybe Broncos, maybe SF. Behind us there's only Wash at 19.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back