PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Patriot's legends do you wish had won a Championship with the Pats ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many Julius Adams, Randy Vataha, Darryl Stingley, Stanley Morgan, Russ Francis, Ben Coates, Steve Nelson on and on...

Always baffled me that Darryl Stingley never is mentioned in any of these conversations.. f... Jack Tatum and the rest of the Raiders..

Too long of a list but a few need to be Hog, Nellie, Brock, Grogs, Stingley, Steamer, Coates, Flutie, Gray, Jules Adams, Welker, Mankins, Moss, Armstrong, Tip, Blackmon, Mosi, RayClay

I especially like your mentions of: Julius Adams, Darryl Stingley, and Bruce Armstrong.

Totally agree with the Captain and robertweathers. I'd add Houston Antwine and Gino Cappelletti to this list also.

Totally agree with the Captain and robertweathers. I'd add Houston Antwine and Gino Cappelletti to this list also.
Two more very deserving players....

I dislike these discussions.
I dont think anyone who hasn't won a ring "deserves" one. It's an achievement and it's a select group. I think it takes away from those who earned them to say others who didn't deserved to.
Just my opinion and I get how people see it differently.

Wes may have been MVP of 42 though. It really ****ing sucks Denver won without him, there could have been one small good thing to come out of that. He was one of the few guys to show up and not quit in 48 also.
The 1976 World Champion New England Patriots

...if not for Dreith

I dont think anyone who hasn't won a ring "deserves" one. It's an achievement and it's a select group. I think it takes away from those who earned them to say others who didn't deserved to.
The word "deserve" is nowhere in the thread title.

There are so many Julius Adams, Randy Vataha, Darryl Stingley, Stanley Morgan, Russ Francis, Ben Coates, Steve Nelson on and on...

Always baffled me that Darryl Stingley never is mentioned in any of these conversations.. f... Jack Tatum and the rest of the Raiders..
Loved Darryl Stingley. Actually sent him a card after he got hurt.

The 1976 World Champion New England Patriots

...if not for Dreith
The worst thing about this ***hole, was decades later he actually admitted on a radio interview that he f##### the Patriots intentionally. I almost never feel pleased about people passing on, but I smiled when that prick Jack Tatum died and I'll grin when Dreith goes dirt-napping, too. RIP: Rot In Perpetuity...

The worst thing about this ***hole, was decades later he actually admitted on a radio interview that he f##### the Patriots intentionally. I almost never feel pleased about people passing on, but I smiled when that prick Jack Tatum died and I'll grin when Dreith goes dirt-napping, too. RIP: Rot In Perpetuity...
This clown was recklessly incompetent, but while he directly affected the outcome of that game, the whole game was miserable, including Francis being manhandled while the ball bounced off his chest, again preventing the game-clinching first down.

I think it was '79, not sure, when I saw him referee a Bengals-Oilers game. First, I wondered how the hell he could still be in the league (he sued the NFL after finally being fired in 1990). Second, that game deteriorated into the almost comical in the second half as both teams were distraught over crazily blown calls. But it wasn't in either team's favor, it was just a mess.

I read that at some reunion in Foxborough many years ago, Steve Grogan hugged Dreith and said, "It wasn't your fault" or "You made the right call" or something to that effect. I, personally, will never be of the level of character of Steve.

Yes, small, otherwise inconsequential mistakes were made by the Patriots that day, which occur in any game, and yes the Patriots were the youngest team in the league in 1976. None of that should have mattered; they were clearly better than Oakland or anybody else for that matter, in that season.

Drew Bledsoe. I was born in 1990 so I don't remember the guys from the OP but I remember Bledsoe. He was a class act when he got replaced by Tom and he has had our back when the national media makes up BS and tries to drag our name through the mud. I really appreciate that. Drew should have his number in the Pats HOF. He helped take the team from a joke to respectable before Brady and Bill turned us into a dynasty.

Logan Mankins amazingly spent 9 straight years with the Patriots during the Brady/Belichick era yet left with 0 rings.

Damn.

Welker. As much as the older guys were great in their own right, outside of a few flashes they really weren't part of a Super Bowl worthy time.

Welker was part of many Super Bowl worthy teams and his legacy was probably hurt more than any single player for not winning with the Patriots.

It really isn't and that's why Jimmy G, Brandon Bolden, and Cameron Fleming have two and Randy Moss has none.

Their combined career contribution to this team are less than what Moss contributed in 2007.

For example, Darrelle Revis has a ring because Hightower made the stop and Butler made the interception. Moss, Seau, Mankins and Welker don't because Merriweather and Samuel dropped them. Would Moss have deserved his ring if the Tyree catch didn't happen even though he had no influence on the outcome either way?

The Superbowl is a random game where a random player like Tyree can help or break legacies.

Bruce Armstrong. Guy is drafted right after the 86 playoff team so he doesn't sniff the playoffs for his first 7 years...some very dark years. Yet in 90 and 91 he's a Pro Bowler. Bruce Smith says he's the best left tackle he's faced. The Bledsoe years finally get him a taste of the postseason...plus 4 straight Pro Bowl nods as winning tends to raise your profile in the minds of voters; He probably would have been to more if they won more under Kiam. After 14 years, the Pats let him go due to a combination of salary and decline...right before the 01 title run.

Six head coaches, 4 owners, second most games played in team history, bridged the gap from Grogan/Eason to Brady, his entire career spent in Foxborough...I would have loved to see him get a ring.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft