PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which All-Pro FA comes to Pats for Ring run

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is off topic, but I wanted to comment on this.

In 2008 Brady was injured for almost the entire season. In 2009, we traded Cassell to KC. Did Belichick make sure we had an experienced back up in 2010? No, we went with an undrafted rookie free agent.

Sure we signed a former second round pick (Andrew Walter) and he was beaten out by that undrafted rookie free agent (Bryan Hoyer), but it's been a long time since we've had a veteran back up.

It's a fair point. Kevin O'Connell was also part of that competition in 2009 that Hoyer won, as well as former UDFA Matt Gutierrez, who had a few years in the system before getting cut.

I think that BB is treating the QB position the same way he treats the coordinator positions, developing from within so they grow up in the system. They have brought in other free agents to look at, but have kept UDFAs and top draft picks who have familiarity in the system as the main backups, Hoyer excepted.

Live in MN and see a lot of the Vikings. Adrian Peterson is/was a great player, but he's about as one dimensional as they come. Things he does well--break tackles, run fast, make highlight reel plays, occasionally put the team on his back.

Things he doesn't do well---block, catch, run out of the shotgun, run on any play in which he's not at full sprint when he gets the ball, think, play well in playoff games or in any clutch situation (where he's suddenly running into the backs of guards and fumbling all the time), be accountable in any way for anything he's ever done, think, not run a charity that's a giant scam and doesn't donate to the causes they claim to donate to, not use the funds from that charity to pay hookers for an orgy that he participated in with his own brother, think, stay healthy for long stretches, and think.

Do. Not. Want. Plus there's no way this man will come here unless he's getting paid a ton of money. He's past his prime, overpaid injury prone, and he's stupid. He's not going to be able to run the no huddle, or adjust on the fly to Brady audibles. No, no, no.

In 2008 Brady was injured for almost the entire season. In 2009, we traded Cassell to KC. Did Belichick make sure we had an experienced back up in 2010? No, we went with an undrafted rookie free agent.

Sure we signed a former second round pick (Andrew Walter) and he was beaten out by that undrafted rookie free agent (Bryan Hoyer), but it's been a long time since we've had a veteran back up.
The difference between 2008 (the Cassell season) and 2016 are obvious and it begins with the number of candles on Tom Brady's next birthday cake.

If they trade away JG, and I think they will, Jacoby Brissett is still too green to take the reins up himself the way Cassell did. He showed good mental toughness and poise when he played, but he just doesn't have his skills up to level. I would hope that BB was willing to invest in a stopgap don't-lose QB to stand ahead of Brissett if Brady can't for some reason.

I think Jacoby Brissett has the tools to become an excellent QB -- but not next year. And I don't think having Jacoby Brissett one bad ankle sprain away from having to carry the team for X number of weeks is fair to the kid. He just isn't ready yet.

Mario Addison resigned with the panthers. Does anyone think management's making any contact with hightower to get a deal done?

I just read that the Bills may cut DT Kyle Williams... he's a guy similar in build to Alan Branch.. a solid veteran who has never sniffed a championship

I just read that the Bills may cut DT Kyle Williams... he's a guy similar in build to Alan Branch.. a solid veteran who has never sniffed a championship

Gonna be 34 in a couple of months. How much he has left?

Mario Addison resigned with the panthers. Does anyone think management's making any contact with hightower to get a deal done?
I imagine they stay in contact but it's fairly clear that he wants to test the market barring a monster deal. We got 2 SB out of the cheap years of him. Now we'll have to overpay so I'm ambivalent about keeping him, leaning towards letting him go unless he gets less than expected.

I'd actually be on the phone with teams seeing if someone would trade us a #2 for a Franchised Hightower.

I imagine they stay in contact but it's fairly clear that he wants to test the market barring a monster deal. We got 2 SB out of the cheap years of him. Now we'll have to overpay so I'm ambivalent about keeping him, leaning towards letting him go unless he gets less than expected.

I'd actually be on the phone with teams seeing if someone would trade us a #2 for a Franchised Hightower.

It depends what the pats are offering him here. The guy's worth around 12 mil per. I just don't like rebuilding again on defense with an experience nucleus already there. I would hate to lose both ryan and hightower.

I would have loved to see Steve Smith Sr. play for us.

BB is a great coach, but not a fortune teller, why are you talking about the his statement regarding what happened to the colts in 2012, with his team in 2010?

Here, Here on AP. Yes, he can still play. How do you double team Gronk and our WR with AP? He also can catch out of the backfield.

As far as All Pro FA's, Calais Campbell comes to mind. 6'8" 300lbs and aggressive. All Pro this year. I love Long but he'd be an upgrade on long and I hate to say, the fading Nink. Think Seymour. Campbell 8 sacks in 2016.

Under the Radar FA? Ingram

Non Pro Bowl players that could assist the Pats in 2017 they could steal? Mychal Kendricks. OLB who can cover and run. Another Eagles cast off.

How about a trade shocker? Antonio Brown for our #32? There is a little friction there in Pitt. There has been some under the breath discontent (see Randy Moss). You have all heard the rumors. Big Ben even talking retirement? Why? What a great parting gift for Mr. Brady in AB? Almost "Branch like". The "Commish" would probably void it........The scoreboard would light up like a pinball machine.
DW Toys

Brandon Marshall WR - NY Jets. They need cap space so bad and cutting him frees up 7.5 million. I think he'd be the same as or a little better than Michael Floyd for one year. Floyd would be better on a longer term deal because he's so young.

Adrian Peterson RB - Minnesota Vikings. I bet he has one year left in the tank. If not, so long as he comes on a deal with incentives and per game bonuses, it would at least an interesting lottery ticket.
Assuming you're serious, Brandon Marshall hasn't excited a lot of people in NY and Peterson is damaged goods.

Here, Here on AP. Yes, he can still play. How do you double team Gronk and our WR with AP? He also can catch out of the backfield.

As far as All Pro FA's, Calais Campbell comes to mind. 6'8" 300lbs and aggressive. All Pro this year. I love Long but he'd be an upgrade on long and I hate to say, the fading Nink. Think Seymour. Campbell 8 sacks in 2016.

Under the Radar FA? Ingram

Non Pro Bowl players that could assist the Pats in 2017 they could steal? Mychal Kendricks. OLB who can cover and run. Another Eagles cast off.

How about a trade shocker? Antonio Brown for our #32? There is a little friction there in Pitt. There has been some under the breath discontent (see Randy Moss). You have all heard the rumors. Big Ben even talking retirement? Why? What a great parting gift for Mr. Brady in AB? Almost "Branch like". The "Commish" would probably void it........The scoreboard would light up like a pinball machine.
DW Toys
I think the Pats draw the line somewhere and Adrian Peterson is on the other side of that line. Just my opinion.
The Antonio Brown idea is a good one if only for the "annoyance" factor, but I don't see it happening from either the Pats or Steelers perspective.

I would have loved to see Steve Smith Sr. play for us.

I'm sure he would have loved to see it, too, since he completely failed at jumping to a team in his remaining years to win a ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back