PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where does J.C Jackson rank and what is he worth?

I wonder if the Pats can sign him now. He is playing on a FA tender, so I'm not sure if that is like the franchise tag and can't be extended. But if they can, the Pats have 4.7 mil left in cap space, maybe give him a boost of pay for this year and lock him up for a while.

Ive changed my mind after the year JC has been having. Before I said 15 mil for 4 years and no higher. I tend to underestimate what teams are willing to spend and what players are worth. Looking at the numbers instead of the eye test JC is elite a top 5 CB and deserves to be paid like one. Now an avg of 18 mil for 4 years would be ok with me and he is my #1 priority signing. Do what it takes BB

I'm willing to bet they tried last offseason and he said no.

I'm assuming even if they tried again now he'd say no.
Too bad, but probably true.

I really don't want to see Jackson leave but I trust that BB knows what he's doing. In the past Bill has been able to put together pretty good defenses even with injuries and unknown players. Hell, he's used WRs at DB and been successful with it. Defense is his strength.

Tag @ less than 18M$ would seem to be a good idea. I know it’s serious cash, but you can make it work by moving a player or two, changing a contract or two.

Having said that : I just think JC is moving out….

Tag @ less than 18M$ would seem to be a good idea. I know it’s serious cash, but you can make it work by moving a player or two, changing a contract or two.

The tag is going to be 18.566M..

JC isn't going anywhere unless it's via a trade because the Pats will franchise him..

JC isn't going anywhere unless it's via a trade because the Pats will franchise him..
That is expensive - but not in today’s nfl’s cb market. I just don’t know. BB is a weird dude and I could still see them passing on JC.

If he doesn't get Franchised, he's gone. There will be a team that would gladly pay a playmaking CB close to $20M per year.

That is expensive - but not in today’s nfl’s cb market. I just don’t know. BB is a weird dude and I could still see them passing on JC.
If a GM is going to shell out big money for a player it has to be when he is young at during his prime. It's important as if things go sideways teams still have time to redo deals and spread out the up front investment over future years.

JC is 26. If they are going to do it, now is the time.

I certainly dont care about Kraft's money, just the salary cap because it can be restrictive to work within its rules if you overpay players
I can't believe this needed to be spelled out

It would make Jackson the 4th highest paid CB.

It's also why I changed my tune from saying 4/64 to 4/72-5/92. The deal Miguel mentioned would also make Jackson the #4 paid CB, but with a higher percentage of guaranteed money than the other guys making up the top 5 salaries.

And not a Penny more
If you look at Jackson's stats, they are ridiculously good. I've included the stats of the top 7 paid CBs for comparison.. Bold means the person has the best stat of that category among the 8. RED means it's the worst. Jackson has one RED. The number of attempts QBs have taken against him. Despite having the most attempts against, Jackson leads in interceptions, passes defensed and opposing QB Rating. He's 2nd in completion % allowed and TDs allowed.

I'm just not sure how people can look at Jackson and say he's not worth it.

Opposing QBs are 36/72 for a 50% completion rate and 467 yards. This included 6 Interceptions and 15 passes defensed. He's allowed 1 TD. Opposing QB Rating is 40.7

Jalen Ramsey:
Opposing QBs are 33/56 for a 58.9% completion rate and 340 yards. This includes 3 interceptions, 9 passes defensed and 2 TDs allowed.
Opposing QB Rating is 66.1

Marlon Humphrey:
Opposing QBs are 32/51 for a 52.5% completion rate and 526 yards. This includes 1 interceptions, 10 passes defensed and 0TDs allowed.
Opposing QB Rating is 102.2

Marshon Lattimore:
Opposing QBs are 32/58 for a 55.2% completion rate and 551yards. This includes 1interceptions, 10 passes defensed and 4 TDs allowed.
Opposing QB Rating is 103.4

Tre'Devious White:
Opposing QBs are 28/57 for a 49.2% completion rate and 289 yards. This includes 1 interceptions, 4 passes defensed and 0 TDs allowed.
Opposing QB Rating is 56.8

Darius Slay:
Opposing QBs are 38/56 for a 67.9% completion rate and 347 yards. This includes 2 interceptions, 3 passes defensed and 3TDs allowed.
Opposing QB Rating is 87.4

Byron Jones:
Opposing QBs are 38/62 for a 62.3% completion rate and 448 yards. This includes 0 interceptions, 7 passes defensed and 2TDs allowed.
Opposing QB Rating is 95.5

Xavien Howard:
Opposing QBs are 37/64 for a 57.8% completion rate and 456 yards. This includes 2 interceptions, 10 passes defensed and 6TDs allowed.
Opposing QB Rating is 98.2

His mom thinks he’s the best.

If you look at Jackson's stats, they are ridiculously good. I've included the stats of the top 7 paid CBs for comparison.. Bold means the person has the best stat of that category among the 8. RED means it's the worst. Jackson has one RED. The number of attempts QBs have taken against him. Despite having the most attempts against, Jackson leads in interceptions, passes defensed and opposing QB Rating. He's 2nd in completion % allowed and TDs allowed.

Opposing QBs are 36/72 for a 50% completion rate and 467 yards. This included 6 Interceptions and 15 passes defensed. He's allowed 1 TD. Opposing QB Rating is 40.7

Jalen Ramsey:
Opposing QBs are 33/56 for a 58.9% completion rate and 340 yards. This includes 3 interceptions, 9 passes defensed and 2 TDs allowed.

Marlon Humphrey:
Opposing QBs are 32/51 for a 52.5% completion rate and 526 yards. This includes 1 interceptions, 10 passes defensed and 0TDs allowed.

Marshon Lattimore:
Opposing QBs are 32/58 for a 55.2% completion rate and 551yards. This includes 1interceptions, 10 passes defensed and 4 TDs allowed.

Tre'Devious White:
Opposing QBs are 28/57 for a 49.2% completion rate and 289 yards. This includes 1 interceptions, 4 passes defensed and 0 TDs allowed.

Darius Slay:
Opposing QBs are 38/56 for a 67.9% completion rate and 347 yards. This includes 2 interceptions, 3 passes defensed and 3TDs allowed.

Byron Jones:
Opposing QBs are 38/62 for a 62.3% completion rate and 448 yards. This includes 0 interceptions, 7 passes defensed and 2TDs allowed.

Xavien Howard:
Opposing QBs are 37/64 for a 57.8% completion rate and 456 yards. This includes 2 interceptions, 10 passes defensed and 6TDs allowed.

If he hits the market and with how the cap is gonna jump up , he's getting "most money for a CB ever" type deal (which will just be broken by someone signing an extension or the year after). Some team gonna offer him 6/105m

If you don’t pay him what’s plan B?
Exactly. Not sure what we can do here and if we stay this good through the season I’m in win now or “sell out” mode as bb calls it. Why not pay him and somebody else?

If he hits the market and with how the cap is gonna jump up , he's getting "most money for a CB ever" type deal (which will just be broken by someone signing an extension or the year after). Some team gonna offer him 6/105m
The only way he's hitting the market is in 2024 after 2 years of the franchise tag. No one is going to sign him to a 6yr deal AND pay multiple 1st round picks for him. And I highly doubt he gets a 6 year offer when he's 28 years old.

Next, the only way the cap is going above 208.2M in 2022 is if the league got a S**T ton of extra cash that they didn't expect. The new TV contracts don't start until 2023. And the Patriots would still have control over Jackson at that point.

Jalen Ramsey:

Marlon Humphrey:

Marshon Lattimore:

Tre'Devious White:

Darius Slay:

Byron Jones:

Xavien Howard:
Appears ppl are trying him more than the others but he’s still holding up. $12m avg per year, 3 years? And draft cb this draft and next?

I’ll be interested in this topic in mid-Feb 2022.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Back