PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where does J.C Jackson rank and what is he worth?

So much wrong in this post.
He plays well in zone when there is a pass rush. Shocking.

Stephan Diggs ate his lunch twice. Enough said.

He is a solid numbet 1cb. Great in zone, can't cover top receivers man to man. He is an awesome number 2.

I'd watch him walk and get over paid. Patriots do have a cb problem next year.
Just like said
Only, I think he will stay next year on tag cause BB don’t have anyone else and will try to find corner in draft

Jackson's pretty good. :)

That's not the problem.

Do we want to pay $20m+ APY on a top CB? Does he want to actually take money now instead of take next year's assumed improved market?

Both parties have reasons to break up this marriage, as much of a model couple as the Pats/JCJ look like.

Normally I would not support paying top dollar for any player that is impacting the team construction. But, he's available every game, he does provide close coverage and good ball skills and will make the tough tackle. He keeps his mouth shut and does his job. I don't see anyone on the horizon that can take his place. Sooo, maybe pay him or at least franchise.

JC is a horrible tackler, luckily for him the money is in interceptions!

pkx43zx80ab81.jpg

FI1bJu6WQAIN214

He plays well in zone when there is a pass rush. Shocking.

Stephan Diggs ate his lunch twice. Enough said.
It's really not "enough said". He's a very good man coverage corner. There's more to it than you over-weighing two games against the Bills, especially when you probably don't know the context of all of the plays. For example, on Diggs' glance TD last game, JC was playing for inside help from Dmac. Dmac was elsewhere and late getting there. On the Diggs conversion late in the game, JC was in zone while the rest of the defense was in man. While that's a very costly miscommunication/mistake, it's not related to his man coverage skills going forward.
With all of the plays that JC has been on the field for over the last four years, it's just not the right way to go about it to completely make up your mind based on his matchups with one WR. That's definitely over-weighing those games.
Plus, elite WRs get catches in today's NFL. Look comprehensively at how JC does and compare it to other CBs to see if he's adding value. People have posted the numbers here... He's doing very well.
This is confirmation bias where you only really focus on your team's corner, and then when you see someone get a catch near him, you think "see? not an elite CB"
My guess is you are not holding Ramsey, Lattimore, Diggs, etc to the same standards.

JC, aka

straight-cash-homey-randy-moss.gif

Patriots defense is going to suck without JC Jackson. Playing soft zone or cover-3 is smoke and mirrors.

Pats only win rings when they have an elite CB1 and play mostly press man cover-1.

JC Jackson is worth 20m/year. Maybe we could have afforded it if they didn't make horrific choices in Godchaux 10m/year, Wynn 11m/year, Jonnu 12m/year, Agholor 13m/year.

It's really not "enough said". He's a very good man coverage corner. There's more to it than you over-weighing two games against the Bills, especially when you probably don't know the context of all of the plays. For example, on Diggs' glance TD last game, JC was playing for inside help from Dmac. Dmac was elsewhere and late getting there. On the Diggs conversion late in the game, JC was in zone while the rest of the defense was in man. While that's a very costly miscommunication/mistake, it's not related to his man coverage skills going forward.
With all of the plays that JC has been on the field for over the last four years, it's just not the right way to go about it to completely make up your mind based on his matchups with one WR. That's definitely over-weighing those games.
Plus, elite WRs get catches in today's NFL. Look comprehensively at how JC does and compare it to other CBs to see if he's adding value. People have posted the numbers here... He's doing very well.
This is confirmation bias where you only really focus on your team's corner, and then when you see someone get a catch near him, you think "see? not an elite CB"
My guess is you are not holding Ramsey, Lattimore, Diggs, etc to the same standards.
I don't know know about those other guys. I watch the patriots. Jackson isn't even close to guys like Gilmore and Talib. To pay him like he plays like those guys is insane.

I don't know know about those other guys. I watch the patriots. Jackson isn't even close to guys like Gilmore and Talib. To pay him like he plays like those guys is insane.
If you only watch the Patriots and are judging JC vs guys that played 10 years ago, you're not really grading him on the scale of 2022 NFL corners. Plus, it's actually true that he is close to those guys. This was posted earlier in the thread:

JC Jackson vs. other pats CB1s:

51% comp
635 yards
3 TDs
8 INTs
47.8 rating

2019 Gilmore

49.5% comp
628 yards
1 TD
6 INTs
48.0 rating

2016 Butler

817 yards
56.2% comp
4 TDs
4 INTs
78.2 rating

2014 Revis

582 yards
51.8% comp
4 TDs
3 INTs
74.7 rating

2013 Talib

666 yards
54.7% comp
3 TDs
4 INTs
75.8 rating

I’ll add the PFF grade as another data point in reply to the guy deciding that JC isn’t good in man coverage.
1642008113603.png

Patriots defense is going to suck without JC Jackson. Playing soft zone or cover-3 is smoke and mirrors.

Pats only win rings when they have an elite CB1 and play mostly press man cover-1.

JC Jackson is worth 20m/year. Maybe we could have afforded it if they didn't make horrific choices in Godchaux 10m/year, Wynn 11m/year, Jonnu 12m/year, Agholor 13m/year.

+1 on this. Pats D seems much mote of an aggressive version of bend but don‘t break when they have a number 1 press corner on their roster. They should have paid JC last year. They need to pay him this (coming) year.

If you only watch the Patriots and are judging JC vs guys that played 10 years ago, you're not really grading him on the scale of 2022 NFL corners. Plus, it's actually true that he is close to those guys. This was posted earlier in the thread:

JC Jackson vs. other pats CB1s:

51% comp
635 yards
3 TDs
8 INTs
47.8 rating

2019 Gilmore

49.5% comp
628 yards
1 TD
6 INTs
48.0 rating

2016 Butler

817 yards
56.2% comp
4 TDs
4 INTs
78.2 rating

2014 Revis

582 yards
51.8% comp
4 TDs
3 INTs
74.7 rating

2013 Talib

666 yards
54.7% comp
3 TDs
4 INTs
75.8 rating
These guys were playing man against the best wr. Jackson is playing against lesser competition, gets help, and plays more zone this year. I mean. Just watch him. He isn't even close to those guys.

But, you are doing a great job as his agent.

These guys were playing man against the best wr. Jackson is playing against lesser competition, gets help, and plays more zone this year. I mean. Just watch him. He isn't even close to those guys.

Jackson's man defense passer rating against is better than Ramsey's. Not sure if you even know what you want in a CB. He's way ahead of when Gilmore got his big contract. If everything was perfect then you'd say we can't pay 25m for 1 player. Get ready for the Pats to suck after he leaves post-franchise-tag

I’ll say one more time, JC i very good corner but he is not elite. His INT and PFF numbers are better then his game and are mostly against crappy QBs and WRs. And same numbers are saying that we have best or second best defence in the league which is BS. They didn’t give us one stop when we needed in multiple games this year. Same applies to JC, especially his game against Bills. PI in the end zone, TD Diggs, missed/terrible tackles on 4th and 1 on Allen and 3rd and long on Diggs.
I’ll give him 4/60 or tag and try to find new corner through draft/offseason. We can play zone without him

You just said you don’t watch those guys and just watch the patriots, and then you said “he isn’t even close to those guys” and made assertions about their play styles and their coverage responsibilities?? Ok… sound logic.

I also don’t agree with the assertion that we don’t use JC as a number 1 corner. We don’t agree on this topic clearly, I’ll leave it here

I’ll say one more time, JC i very good corner but he is not elite. His INT and PFF numbers are better then his game and are mostly against crappy QBs and WRs. And same numbers are saying that we have best or second best defence in the league which is BS. They didn’t give us one stop when we needed in multiple games this year. Same applies to JC, especially his game against Bills. PI in the end zone, TD Diggs, missed/terrible tackles on 4th and 1 on Allen and 3rd and long on Diggs.
I’ll give him 4/60 or tag and try to find new corner through draft/offseason. We can play zone without him

You would go zone for a full season?

It’s maddening. Tbh, he’s shown flashes in his career as a very solid dependable 2. He’s also looked like a number 1 at times. Any one here up until this season who thought he was going to be one of the defacto number 1 Cb’s in the league is clairvoyant. Last year? No way if I was in charge would he be getting paid like Ramsey. Now? yeah, in hindsight they should of absolutely extended/signed him because now the brinks truck is coming. Good for him, he earned it. He’s easily top 3 no question.

JC is going to get All Pro honors soon which will guarantee teams will be rolling out the red carpet for him in FA.

Nobody on this board should be mad when he goes from undrafted FA to one of the highest CB in the league. It’s well deserved. I think some other team outbids Bill who either has bad team with a lot of money or a contending team that cheats the cap.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back