• Raiders

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Nowhere (Retire)

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect a signed contract by March 2 or perhaps the 9th

I hope that you’re right, but it seems to me that Brady wants to be a free agent. He wants to test the market, and both sides have understood this since last summer. The whole thing would be pointless if he signs an extension here without going through that process.

Or, no?

I hope that you’re right, but it seems to me that Brady wants to be a free agent. He wants to test the market, and both sides have understood this since last summer. The whole thing would be pointless if he signs an extension here without going through that process.
Well, unless he's satisfied that the threat of being able to test the market has forced the Patriots to cough up an acceptable sum.

Well, unless he's satisfied that the threat of being able to test the market has forced the Patriots to cough up an acceptable sum.
I think this is one of those “feel free to see what’s out there and get back to us” type of attempts to set the market, but as we’ve often seen, that also suggests a willingness to move on. Something tells me that Bill Belichick isn’t up late worrying about the situation like we are.

As far as Brady just using this for leverage—I don’t know what to think. It’s certainly possible, but one would think that he could have chosen a similar path at a better time, if that’s what he wanted to do. We’ll see.

~$60 million in cap space with Carr release/trade
dome stadium
multiple first round picks

Tyrell Williams
Hunter Renfrow
Darren Waller & Fabian Moreau
Josh Jacobs & Jalen Richard

Kolton Miller
Richie Incognito
Rodney Hudson
Gabe Jackson
Trent Brown

I don’t know how much defense the Raiders can pitch to Brady but the offense has everything but a WR1:
  • elite receiving TE
  • elite RB
  • capable receiving RB
  • upside TE2
  • upside slot WR
  • deep threat WR
  • above average veteran OL
That offense could be elite with a move for Diggs, Odell, etc.

For some strange reason, I have a feeling that #12 will not be returning to the Patriots.
IF this is the case, I would rather NOT have an interim QB (second-rate) and just throw Stidham in and see if he floats/sinks/swim.

Of course, they should also draft another QB.

Worst thing can happen is they get a high draft pick....

dome stadium

Tyrell Williams
Hunter Renfrow

Kolton Miller
Richie Incognito
Rodney Hudson
Gabe Jackson
Trent Brown

I don’t know how much defense the Raiders can pitch to Brady but the offense has everything but a WR1:
  • elite receiving TE
  • elite RB
  • capable receiving RB
  • upside TE2
  • upside slot WR
  • deep threat WR
Coaching is a major concern, though. You just described why they were the 9th best scoring offense in the first half of games last season, but Gruden’s play calling is why they were the second to worst scoring offense in the second half of games. They got destroyed in the third quarter, with an NFL-worst 27 points scored all season compared to their second to worst 111 points allowed.

So, do we think Fauria knows anything or is this just another hot take? (Fauria's on the radio claiming NE is virtually certain to move on from Brady).
https://nypost.com/2020/02/12/patri...h-tom-brady-former-teammate-christian-fauria/
https://nypost.com/2020/02/12/patri...h-tom-brady-former-teammate-christian-fauria/

Everything that is wrong with the media right here.

He slams Ian Rapoport for fake news...which is correct because it’s obvious Rapoport is claiming to be an insider despite not having a leg to stand on. Kraft was angry that Rapoport reported the 30M+ figure and claimed no one said that.

Now that Fauria has let us know that Rapoport is a phony, what does he do? Acts like he is an authority on the Patriots thinking and comes up with an even more ludicrous, unsubstantiated claim, just barfing up a headline that’s the opposite of what Rapoport stated.

dome stadium

Tyrell Williams
Hunter Renfrow

Kolton Miller
Richie Incognito
Rodney Hudson
Gabe Jackson
Trent Brown

• elite receiving TE
  • elite RB
  • capable receiving RB
  • upside TE2
  • upside slot WR
  • deep threat WR

jesus they have 2 1sts and cap space with an elite RB and Oline and need Brady to get fans in Vegas. Think about if AB at the minimum salary gets them Brady why the he’ll wouldn’t they do it, they’d sell out every game and Gruden loves Brady. They could trade a 1st for Diggs and sign AB that’s a top 3 offense right there, where did there defense rank last year? Imagine defending AB/Diggs/Waller with Jacobs in the backfield and an elite offensive line

smh Raiders play in New England next year as well

Look.....use a 6th round pick on a guy, get 12 AFCC visits, 9 SB visits, and 6 rings, then flip him for a 3rd round comp pick....very belichikian

I know this is horrible logic but I am ready to move on.
I just don't see us 1 year away from a Super Bowl ... too many issues.

im there.....even the greatest movies lose something if you watch it for 20 years

Sometimes I feel that way, but then I remember that they almost had a first round bye with no one but #11 to catch any passes. If they just improve upon the WR and TE options, there’s no reason to think they can’t score 28-30 points per game (ave. 26 this season).

When you consider the fact that the defense is usually a top 10 scoring unit, I think it’s possible to go back to some point (choose your preferred time period) like 2010-2013 where they can remain competitive. We’ve seen bad years before like 2002, 2005, 2009, and as bad as they were last year, they still went 12-4. One big name WR in the draft or free agency would go a long way, and they can potentially swap a guy like Dorsett for a guy like Amendola.

They’ll need to free up some more cap space and hit on some draft picks of course, but I don’t necessarily feel as though the dynasty is over unless Brady leaves. If that happens, it’s all going to be done. It’s hard to see Belichick being able to bounce back from a 2-3 year rebuild at his age.

Was thinking about the question in the thread topic this morning.

Part of me thinks that Brady already knows what he's going to do. He either wants to come back to the Pats or doesn't. He doesn't need to "think about it". What additional information could he get that would make him decide whether to stay or not -- he's had 20 years with the franchise and knows all the pros and cons already. Surely he's not going to make his decision based on a two hour PowerPoint presentation from Jon Gruden....right?

So with that said, does anyone think that Brady knows he wants to come back, but is interested in seeing what the process of being a free agent is like, just because he's never had to do it before? Maybe watching Pink Head go through the process in 2012 was interesting to him. I wonder if Brady tells the Pats he's coming back but let him go through the process just for that experience. He could do it during the legal tampering period to avoid the cap hit dynamics if he re-signs after March 18th.

Does that sound ridiculous?

...or no?

It's pretty obvious Brady is not coming back. You don't play contract chicken/hardball with a guy like Bill Belichick. LOL I mean c'mon really? The house is on the market and Brady has known for the longest time he's not coming back.

Coaching is a major concern, though. You just described why they were the 9th best scoring offense in the first half of games last season, but Gruden’s play calling is why they were the second to worst scoring offense in the second half of games. They got destroyed in the third quarter, with an NFL-worst 27 points scored all season compared to their second to worst 111 points allowed.
And Gruden has run his specific version of the west coast offense for 30 years now. Hard to see this as a situation where Tom comes in and takes over, although anything’s possible at this point.

All the Pats need are Brady and a stud TE and WR and they are back in business...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye