PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would be Gilmore’s trade value?

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
If Bill ultimately were to decide to trade him this offseason. What would we get in return?

This doesn’t mean I want us to make the move, but I’m curious what his value appears to be at the moment.

Is a 1st out of the question? Or does his contract/age make that a little out of reach. Maybe a team picking late in the 1st round has a desperate need for CB help? (Thinking Cleveland, maybe Green Bay)

A 30 year old corner in a year where the cap is going down and you have to give up picks to get him. Likely a lot less than people think. If you can get a second for him I think you do it. If you only get a 3rd rounder I think you give him a raise to keep him happy and then let him play out the one year and go to FA and get the same third the year after.

A 30 year old corner in a year where the cap is going down and you have to give up picks to get him. Likely a lot less than people think. If you can get a second for him I think you do it. If you only get a 3rd rounder I think you give him a raise to keep him happy and then let him play out the one year and go to FA and get the same third the year after.
Kinda my thinking. It’d be nice to free up our cap space, but I’d hate to give up Gilmore for nothing but a mid rounder. I’d want at least a 2nd, otherwise I’d rather we keep him around.

4th is my guess due to age, and him wanting more money every darned year.

4th is my guess due to age, and him wanting more money every darned year.
We can get a 3rd comp pick by just keeping him around for a year though. Maybe freeing our cap space is a factor here, but idk.

I think we would be lucky to get a third but probably a fourth. He will be 31, coming off an injury, and looking for a payday. Maybe Seattle or Green Bay would take him? A team in win now mode looking to get over the hump.

I think he stays. BB is winning now

I wouldn’t give him up for anything less than a first. If no one gives it then keep him.

Assuming his age and salary cap 3rd round would be a success.

Probably a 3rd at most

In this contract year, will he.....

1) Demand a trade?
2) Hold out or threaten to hold out while demanding more 2021 money?
3) Hold out or threaten to hold while demanding an extension
4) Bust his ass all season to impress future suitors?
5) Go into self preservation mode making sure he's a healthy free agent after 2021?

I vote #1, #2, #3, not necessarily in that order, and #5

Unless he becomes difficult, I’d hold on to him unless someone dangles a #2+... so if (1) someone wants to win now and get kinda cooky, great but (2) if they are offering a #3 or worse - why bother ?

I think he stays. BB is winning now
Cousin, Good morning, Had a nice hearty Saturday breakfast of a sausage, egg and cheese casserole with mild salsa on the side and a thick slice of buttered blueberry bread, coffee and juice. o.k., I am ready............
Perhaps you have a point.
My consideration and in my humble opinion?
The only way I think you get fair compensation is to trade him in a player swap.Draft pick trade? CAP is the roadblock. You might get a third rounder but why not keep him for a comp then? Keep him might be the baked in answer.
BB had his face slapped by TB12. Now he can go three ways. Use the Draft, but remember, in his history he is a mid pack (generous) Drafter although I blame most of that on Monte and Nick C. Take the last two years. Bailey and Winovich are the only two that seem to have gotten it from 2019. One or two MIGHT come on but who knows like maybe Harris and .......Henry?
In 2020 Onwenu, Dugger and Uche are the best vof a mediocre lot. No splashes. Onewu might be the best.They have the best chance. Now Cousins tell me.....does it look like we are capable of turning this Team around with the 2021 Draft class? Really? One starter. a sub package player and a punter in two years?
Look at your Mock Drafts. How many of you did much better the last two years? Don't get me going on the 2018 Draft. We could have had D.J. Moore, Lamar Jackson and Mark Andrews but Monte and the boys knew better.
O,K, Let me reiterate.....you are going to trust the Patriots to Draft their way to the "playoffs"?
Nyet!

Wampum to trade:
Gilmore($16mm)
Michel
Hightower($12.5mm)
Cannon ($9.5mm???)

Players we need to resign:
Guy
Butler
David Andrews
J.C. Jackson (RFA)
Bethel (ST love)
Thuney? If we can trade Cannon and his contract ,perhaps make Thuney an offer.
Maybe? Wise

Raises:
Meyers

Start in the trenchs. Isn't J.J. Watt the ultimate Patriots pick up? Team leader. Plays hard. Love the game. Harrison was about the same age and Seau was even older, This might be the most important FA signing.
Here is my formula if anyone cares with Watt as a start.

In a "NOT-GONNA-HAPPEN" scenario.
For Watson form Texans:
Rumor is they want two 1st, 2 2nds and two players
2021 #15 in the first plus Hightower and Michel (they need RBs)
2022 1st and 3rd (offer)
2023 2nd and 4th
Trade for someone his caliber? Sure
Now change this around a little. Change 2023 for a 1st and 3rd and throw in WR Bradin Cooks (was decent here. Knows the system)

Trade Gilmore to Eagles for TE Ertz

Now dip into free agency with some first tier and second tier guys after Watt signing
FIRST TIER-
LB Matt Milano
DE Melvin Ingram
DT Leonard Williams

SECOND TIER-
TE Gerald Everett
DE Hassan Reddck

THIRD TIER-
WR Tyrell Williams
WR RIshard Higgins
LB Alex Anzalone

DW Toys

We can get a 3rd comp pick by just keeping him around for a year though. Maybe freeing our cap space is a factor here, but idk.
He’ll have 10 accrued seasons after 2021, so the “Alan Faneca Rule” makes the best possible comp pick a 5th.

(QBs are excluded, so the Brady pick will still be a 3rd.)

If the Pats don't get a QB worth a damn, then trade Gilmore because the Pats won't be contending next year or for a few more years. I usually don't like trading talent and creating a hole when you don't need to, but this is an exception because of his age. Also, if Gilmore doesn't want to be here, then grant him his wish and get a 2nd rounder out of him.

Coming off of a MAJOR injury. Not much unfortunately. Remember when we were shocked when we got a 3rd for Collins and a 2nd for Jimmy G ? Well don’t be shocked if we only got a 3rd for Gilmore. Best case scenario would be a 2nd. I rather keep him. Plus Belichick is HORRIBLE at getting good value for assets. The only time he got decent value was with Brandin Cooks.

The pay raise this past year was just a holdover, he wants a lot more money right away. Teams know that. Considering the odd cap year it is, it'll be hard to move a guy you've gotta pay right away.

IMO - I was on board with trading him for a while, but at this point I actually think they should pay him. He's still elite. If you manage to trade him, you end up with $9m of dead cap and only save $7m in space. Just give him $25m more on a 1-year extension so it spreads over the next 2 years and he can leave after that and sign one more big deal elsewhere. Hopefully by that point they'll be inking a big deal for Jackson.

Coming off of a MAJOR injury. Not much unfortunately. Remember when we were shocked when we got a 3rd for Collins and a 2nd for Jimmy G ? Well don’t be shocked if we only got a 3rd for Gilmore. Best case scenario would be a 2nd. I rather keep him. Plus Belichick is HORRIBLE at getting good value for assets. The only time he got decent value was with Brandin Cooks.

I’m not sure that his injury needs to be put in all caps. A partially torn quad is a significant injury but I wouldn’t expect this to affect his trade value. While complete rupture of the quadriceps tendon right at insertion site above the knee is indeed MAJOR (I believe that Victor Oladipo suffered this injury), Gilmores does not sound to be nearly as serious as this variant or as serious as a torn ACL/PCL, torn patellar tendon, torn Achilles or Lisfranc fracture.

Patriots' Stephon Gilmore to undergo surgery on torn quad, star corner to miss rest of 2020 season, per report

From this report, he is expected to be ready for training camp and possibly participate in the off-season program, if there is one.

Maybe I’m wrong but I find it hard to believe that a contender who is in dire need of a CB wouldn’t be willing to give up a late second for Gilmore, who likely has two more top 5 CB seasons in him and another two starting level seasons. If not a 2nd, maybe a 3rd and a 5th (I wouldn’t trade him for anything less than that).

Teams with a need a CB and enough cap space to realistically take on his salary (rules out Green Bay and KC):

COLTS. They would be my first call....need for a vet stud CB1 to go along with their stud slot guy (whom Bill should have kept in the 53 over a safety whose name shall not be mentioned) and have 70M in cap space.
Tampa
Cleveland
Washington FT

Bill may be able to even convince Jerry that the Cowboys can be contenders this year. How about Gilmore for Gallup? I'm sure that they like Gallup but seems to me that he should be a trade chip, to fill an area of greater need. Cooper would be tough for them to trade because of his bloated contract and they already have Lamb as the guy opposite him. Boom! I just filled a major area of need for the Pats.

Gilmore will be 31 in September.

He has a $15m cap hit

They save $7.3m if he is off the payroll.

Healthy he is still a Top 10 CB

There is no way in hell BB gives him an extension.

He is as good as gone.

Might fetch a 2nd to a CB needy contender but it also depends on what the new team wants to commit to for cash.

I mentioned Gilmore for Gallup but this may be more realistic:

Gilmore for OBJ! Both coming off of injuries, salaries match up pretty well. Both players would probably like a change of scenery. Gilmore across from Ward would improve Cleveland’s pass D significantly and BB would get a WR whom he (reportedly) loves.

1613257694452.gif

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back