PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would be acceptable defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not the question

The question is before the game starts what are we saying would be good.

I think better than the mean is a good bar.
The question is "what is acceptable defense?" My answer to that question will change week to week as I expect to see the defense improve. Through 4 weeks, this is the worst defense in NFL history. Therefore, anything better than that is where I start. If they do what I expect them to do, which is play better tonight, then I will give you a new answer next week.

Not sure really, how much can you fix in two practices traveling on a short week. If they can hold TB to under 24 points (their season average) hopefully around 20, I will consider that an improvement.

Anything under 20 I would consider a miracle at this point.

Well that's part of the point.
If they play average defense they are allowing 22 conpletuons about 240 passing yards (gross) 100 rushing and 21 points and the "eye testers" would say they sucked.

Some will. They could pitch a shutout and some will. The SB is a great example. The defense considering the opponent and some of the throws and catches played much better than the 21 points they gave up. If they played that type of game right now I'd be thrilled. I'd take the NO game.

"Do Your Job" get on same page and don't stray from your lanes and keep talking and a pass rush with pressure/sack/strip sack would do wonders. Need to get stops on 3rd down and no excuse for dumb penalties depending of course how refs are targeting.

For this team?

Under 300 yards passing

under 100 yards rushing

under 30 points

Somehow that would be improvement

so far in the NFL the median numbers per game are
21 points
22/33 passing
225 NET passing yards
101 rushing yards
2 sacks

Is this considered the bar for good defense? Tonight?
This would be a start. I'd add top 10 in the league in preventing 3rd down conversions, a better pass rush (not just sacks, but consistent pressure that makes the opposing QB get rid of the ball before he wants to, and a D that can make a stop with the game on the line in the 4th.

no jerome booger will help

Not sure really, how much can you fix in two practices traveling on a short week. If they can hold TB to under 24 points (their season average) hopefully around 20, I will consider that an improvement.

Anything under 20 I would consider a miracle at this point.
They'll likely play more man than they have in the last two weeks and that should actually simplify things for the secondary. In the end, not playing absolutely terrified of a mobile quarterback alone should account for an improvement.

No excuses for this defense. I expect them to step up tonight. I know it's a short week but I expect them to play better.

WHAT WE JUST SAW...ALL SEASON :D

So far this has been acceptable defense. Two punts.

Through one half, we look a lot more like I expected for this year. Our run defense has been a little porous, but we've only let them score because of fairly dumb, though accurate, penalties. Guys are hustling to the ball, and the secondary looks MUCH improved. Yards and points allowed are quite acceptable, I'd say.

J. Winston 8/16 71 0 0

Keep it up, guys!

An acceptable D would not be the one we saw tonight. Another 300 passer from an average at best QB. Another 40+ yard play. Bad penalties that would have hurt if not for an epic fail by the other guy's kicker.

An acceptable D would not be the one we saw tonight. Another 300 passer from an average at best QB. Another 40+ yard play. Bad penalties that would have hurt if not for an epic fail by the other guy's kicker.
It was still an improvement. Held the opposition to 14, kept their WR1 in check, and forced a lot of punts.

Still lots of things to improve upon like pressure, stopping some big plays, reeling in the penalties, and hopefully causing some turnovers.

It was still an improvement. Held the opposition to 14, kept their WR1 in check, and forced a lot of punts.

Still lots of things to improve upon like pressure, stopping some big plays, reeling in the penalties, and hopefully causing some turnovers.

Exactly Sup. No it wasn't the 85 Bears we saw last night but it was clearly an improvement. Winston has put up 300+ in 3 of his 4 games and his 56% comp% is his lowest of the season. Fyi, the game he didn't put up 300 the Bucs jumped out to a 26 to 0 lead before half then ran the ball like crazy in the second half.

On a scale of 1 to 10 the D up until last night has been at best a 1.5. Last night we saw something closer to 5.5. Still not where it needs to be/far from perfect but it was a clear and unambiguous performance improvement over previous performance level. Why some posters have this visceral need for gloom is perplexing.

Minus letting Doug Martin average 5.7 YPC it was a great performance until garbage time. That part of it was frustrating because they backed off so much they almost blew the lead. The prevent you from winning defense. If the offense does it's job in the red zone it's not an issue but still. My favorite moment defensively was after the ST penalty on Bolden they held. Too often this year there's been a penalty on 3rd down and they they give up a big drive. Yes some of those calls have been awful but that doesn't change what comes after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents