2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
so far in the NFL the median numbers per game are
21 points
22/33 passing
225 NET passing yards
101 rushing yards
2 sacks

Is this considered the bar for good defense? Tonight?

For me it's let the offense get the lead and run the ball.

Frankly, a win, and not giving up several scores to the other team in the 4th quarter. I want to see the 2nd half adjustments BB and MP are so famous for, which have been sorely lacking thus far this year.

21 points
22/33 passing
225 NET passing yards
101 rushing yards
2 sacks

For me, tonight, it's one point fewer than the points that go on the board for the Patriots (adjusted for offensive and special teams scores as needed....).

Long-term (week 6 and beyond), with the Pats' offense if the team can perform at the median level then it should be decently set up for the rest of the season and could compete in the playoffs. Obviously we'd want better than that, but it is what it is.

For me it's not a certain amount of points or yards cuz the other guys get paid too. I want to see tight competitive coverage. I want to see no blown assignments. I want to see hard hitting and the team swarming to the ball. Basically I just want to see the defense play patriot football.

Less than 30 points please.

Yeah if we could hold the other team to only 21 points and under 1 billion yards that would be great.

With only allowing 21 points, this offense would easily win 12 games.

It should be noted that the defense from last year only allowed 21+ five time in nineteen games, or approx. 1/4 of the time. Can't count the SB due to the pick six thrown by Brady.

For the 2017 Pats? Anything better than the worst defense in NFL history would be a start. I have a feeling they'll take their first steps toward that goal tonight.

Let's start with covering your man and work from there.

For the 2017 Pats? Anything better than the worst defense in NFL history would be a start. I have a feeling they'll take their first steps toward that goal tonight.
That's not the question

The question is before the game starts what are we saying would be good.

I think better than the mean is a good bar.

If Evans is making Julio Jones type ridiculous catches and yet the coverage is good like Rowe's was in the SB I'm not as worried about it. Conversely if the Bucs receivers are wide open and somebody invokes the Dwayne Allen hands curse and they drop a crap load of passes I'll still be concerned.

It's more about the eye test than the stats test.

If Evans is making Julio Jones type ridiculous catches and yet the coverage is good like Rowe's was in the SB I'm not as worried about it. Conversely if the Bucs receivers are wide open and somebody invokes the Dwayne Allen hands curse and they drop a crap load of passes I'll still be concerned.

It's more about the eye test than the stats test.
Well that's part of the point.
If they play average defense they are allowing 22 conpletuons about 240 passing yards (gross) 100 rushing and 21 points and the "eye testers" would say they sucked.

21 points
22/33 passing
225 NET passing yards
101 rushing yards
2 sacks

I'll be pumped if we can hold them to that. 24 points or less and I'll be celebrating it as a major step forward for the defense.

I don't inherently care if Winston completes two thirds of his passes; as long as they aren't making big plays and putting up points, all is good. And <= 250 passing yards is a reasonably good day in the modern NFL. Even if we give up 300 I won't really care much as long as we're keeping them out of the end zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes