PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What trade moves should the Patriots make before the deadline?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What should the Patriots do before the trade deadline?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You get what you can. Pats have no leverage, and teams know that. You get what you can, or you get nothing when he walks in the offseason. I’d take a 2nd and a 3rd. Knowing Belichick’s trade history, we’d be lucky to get a 3rd for Thuney and a 3rd for Gilmore. Unfortunately Belichick is horrible at these kind of trades.
Gilmore is under contract next season. His situation is nothing like Thuney's.

If i should decide between Thuney and Gilmore NOW i keep Thuney
I'd also keep Thuney by a mile. And to those thinking Gilmore commands a 1st, you'd be sorely disappointed if a trade actually happens because nobody is giving a first for him. At best, he could fetch a 2nd rounder.

Get Julio Jones or Michael Thomas. This team has been unable to develop wide receivers forever. Also, see if Tampa will swap Scotty Miller for Jules. Pats could use the youth and Brady would probably like to add his buddy to the super friends. Get a lot of draft capital for Gilmore.
None of this post is plausible. I actually say that with respect. But none of these scenarios is happening.

Gilmore is under contract next season. His situation is nothing like Thuney's.
Exactly, I would only consider trading people in the final years of their contract. I don’t EXPECT this team to be contending by next season, but you can never rule out a 2001.

Always knew this day would come after a near 20 year run. Didn't think it would be this fast. Sad. Wonder how long belichick is good for. Was hoping he'd break shula's win record.

Always knew this day would come after a near 20 year run. Didn't think it would be this fast. Sad. Wonder how long belichick is good for. Was hoping he'd break shula's win record.
Honestly, if they go 4-12, Kraft may go another direction. Or may give him one more year due to a weird year due to Covid. But he’ll be 70 soon, I don’t think he’ll wanna coach another 5 years, and honestly, he may GET retired. I wouldn’t be surprised if 2021 is his last year. Maybe pass the HC position to McDaniels or some young hotshot.

Do you think we are gonna resign Thuney? I didn’t see that happening, so a trade would make sense IF they got a decent haul. If not, wait out the comp pick.

To me, if you're not signing a vet QB you leave yourself with the cap space to sign a vet Oline man.

I have no idea what they're going to do but keeping a top ranked gaurd seems to be a priority to me.

Honestly, if they go 4-12, Kraft may go another direction. Or may give him one more year due to a weird year due to Covid. But he’ll be 70 soon, I don’t think he’ll wanna coach another 5 years, and honestly, he may GET retired. I wouldn’t be surprised if 2021 is his last year. Maybe pass the HC position to McDaniels or some young hotshot.

The franchise is doomed with McDaniels. Keep Belichick for a couple more years and get a new coordinator.

To me, if you're not signing a vet QB you leave yourself with the cap space to sign a vet Oline man.

I have no idea what they're going to do but keeping a top ranked gaurd seems to be a priority to me.
Any idea why a contract hasn’t happened yet? Does Thuney even want to re-sign?

Everyone want's to stockpile draft picks but what we gonna do when BB ignores all the top WR/QBs in the draft and drafts defensive players only til the 4th round?

Why isn't "trade for a QB" an option, it's the biggest need position on the team?

Because the trade deadline is coming up next week and BB clearly and unambiguously said that Newton is the starting QB of this team because he is the best player they have.

Thuney is worth a 1st and 4th anything less then that is a giveaway

#4 best guard in the NFL who can play all 5 spots on the o-line.

I would be more than happy to tag him again next year.

On a tag with about 8-9 games left he is not worth much more than the third round comp pick he would fetch in a year if he leaves.

And nobody should be rooting for spending about 17M on a second tag for Thuney next year. That is just bad cap management. At that point you might as well extend him because this at least changes his trade value.

Why isn't "trade for a QB" an option, it's the biggest need position on the team?

I could see them trading older valuable assets like Gilmore or Thuney, just don't like or envision the trade to Titans part. We'll have to play these players for the next few years... look to the NFC.

Cam sucks, Stidham can possibly develop into something, maybe not... but he isn't a QB right now. This is a developmental and reloading year, forget the playoffs because they don't have a QB.

With a QB this is an instant playoff team, but you don't find these guys midseason and they won't find one before they're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It doesn't mean I wouldn't immediately take Matt Ryan for next year though...
What QB are they trading for?

Remember that the Pats only get a comp pick for Thuney if they have a net loss in FA. With all their cap space my assumption is they will be active so they risk losing Thuney for nothing. He is an excellent player but the Pats know what he will command $ wise and since they failed to lock him up this off season am not sure they want to make that kind of long term commitment.

They should trade and try to stockpile picks.
Gilmore has some nice value left.
You could use the money to rebuild the offense as a whole.
If we can get something for an aging Jules that would be nice too. Guy would fit perfectly in many NFC teams, I think he has deserved another shot to a SB contender team.

I hope we can get our o line healthy again.

Lol @ people thinking we will get some major windfall for Thuney. Yes he is very good but he is still a guard and someone will have to pay him. Maybe we get a second for him but I’d assume a third or they just hold on to him and let him walk for a comp third.

Same thing with Edelman. I don’t think there is any chance we get anything other than a late round pick for him. He’s got a banged up knee and outside of one game hasn’t looked great. He’s 34 and been a major part of what made us who we were. I would let him ride it out here and then get his red jacket in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back