PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the Patriots highest position of need for 2023?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is the Patriots highest position of need for 2023?

• QB

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • WR

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • OL

Votes: 43 89.6%
  • RB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TE

• DT

• DE

• LB

• S

• CB

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
Boy I like Skoronski. I wouldn't wait around either. Great footwork, and Quickness, explosive too. Not worried about arm length when you have his athleticism and power.
Yeah, after T-Rex Thuney has produced so admirably arm length, which used to be held up so high as an important metric, isn’t quite as vital.

It’s possibly the only mistake Captain Stone has made when he criticized the selection of Joe Thuney out of NC State. He has ridiculous short arms for a 6’5” guy. But none of us could measure the Ohio-born and -raised guy’s heart, competitive desire, and durability.

He was worth resigning.

Last edited:
I know Brian Hartline, the OSU receivers coach and blue chip recruiter, calls Jaxon Smith-Njigba his most talented guy yet. That carries a lot of weight for me.

CORRECTION. He’s now the offensive coordinator.

I think we should trade down. But if we stay at 14 JSN should DEFINITELY be on the table along with my binky Christian Gonzalez and OTs.

I would also consider a small trade-down, especially if JSN is off the board and depending on how many CBs & LTs are still on it...

Yeah, after T-Rex Thuney has produced so admirably arm length, which used to be held up so high as an important metric, isn’t quite as vital.

That's why he was switched from LT at NC State to LG for the NEP.

It’s possibly the only mistake Captain Stone has made when he criticized the selection of Joe Thuney out of NC State. He has ridiculous short arms for a 6’5” guy. But none of us could measure the Ohio-born and -raised guy’s heart, competitive desire, and durability.

Yeah I remember thinking that he could've been taken later, as in the end of the 3rd round instead of predictable bust Not My Cousin Vinnie Valentine...
I was right about Cyrus the Virus, however.

He was worth resigning.

Absolutely... Littles Billy & Nicky weren't exactly forward-thinking when they decided to commit to Shack Mason, that's for sure.

I know Brian Hartline, the OSU receivers coach and blue chip recruiter, calls Jaxon Smith-Njigba his most talented guy yet. That carries a lot of weight for me.

CORRECTION. He’s now the offensive coordinator.

I think we should trade down. But if we stay at 14 JSN should DEFINITELY be on the table along with my binky Christian Gonzalez and OTs.
Gonzalez is my preferred CB at 14 as well assuming he's available.

I would also consider a small trade-down, especially if JSN is off the board and depending on how many CBs & LTs are still on it...
I agree. We have so many roster weaknesses. I mean Ferentz and Myles Bryant better be displaced by new, better blood on next year’s roster.

And it’s not as if we have a lot of picks. But it’s going to be intriguing. Because someone like a Christian Gonzalez or JSN or a stud LT like the guy from Georgia could slip down to 14. If so, stay and go with one of those impact players.

If Gonzales is gone by 14, Would you take Joey Porter jr?
Either Gonzalez or Whiterspoon at 14 if you go with CB there, else any CB only in case you trade down and they are still on the board around pick 20-30...
For pick 14 either one of the above mentioned CBs, OT Paris Johnson (don't like Skoronski as LT pick here, thus has not the right value for me) or WR Quintin Johnston (will be gone), perhaps JSM but not fully bought in on him but when fit a great addition, I love Zay Flowers (next to Johnston) but 14 might be a bit to high, however I doubt he will be around when we pick again in round two so perhaps a trade down if the 2 CBs, LT Johnson and WR Johnston are gone and take Flowers around pick 25 (if not picked by pick 28 he will land at KC and flourish, so I'd love him rather here)

Lotta folks saying we *gotta* go OT at 14. Though if McGlinchy becomes a FA and we can snag him, it can open up our first round options.

Lotta folks saying we *gotta* go OT at 14. Though if McGlinchy becomes a FA and we can snag him, it can open up our first round options.
yeah the point is we need a LT, McGlinchy is RT, not everybody excells when switching the position though he has some experience in college as LT but thats another level, I don't mind bringing him in, but you have Brown and others on RT but not really one on blind side, thus a real LT would be great and if you could snag one in the draft that could be plug-and-play would be awesome, even if you play Brown as LT you'd need him to find his form back and still only one year contract so preferbly you take the chance and take the best available LT when you are able to in the Draft and with first round you have at least 5 year control of LT, that changes things going further also in coming drafts

yeah the point is we need a LT, McGlinchy is RT, not everybody excells when switching the position though he has some experience in college as LT but thats another level, I don't mind bringing him in, but you have Brown and others on RT but not really one on blind side, thus a real LT would be great and if you could snag one in the draft that could be plug-and-play would be awesome, even if you play Brown as LT you'd need him to find his form back and still only one year contract so preferbly you take the chance and take the best available LT when you are able to in the Draft and with first round you have at least 5 year control of LT, that changes things going further also in coming drafts

Not a fan of signing McGlinchey, for the reasons stated above... Convince Trent Brown to "restructure" his contract and return him to RT; his days as an NFL LT are over...

Re-sign McDermott for the vet minimum to compete for the Swing Tackle role; he's not starter-quality, and I don't know how many snaps at LT he's actually ever taken, but he could probably hold-up until real help arrives while not getting his QB killed...

Our LT of 2023 & Beyond will almost assuredly come from the first 3 rounds of this draft; signing one as a UFA is extremely expensive, as is trading for one... Matt Light stepped-in immediately, so if he can do it why not somebody like Skoronski, Harrison, Wright, Broderick Jones or Matt Bergeron?

I'm in the minority here, but I'm warming up to the idea of CB being a more immediate need.

Obviously OL was THE issue in 2022, but I suspect a new regime can coach many of the problems away. We know what Trent Brown's MO is, he plays hard when he's in a situation where is it worthwhile to play hard, and he mails it in when times get lean. I could see him being perfectly competent playing for an OC and an OL coach that he believes in. Competent is all we need.

This is also a very deep draft for OTs with real value available in the 25 - 50 range. Is the guy who's available at 14 that much better than the guy who's available at 30?

The prospect of Devon Witherspoon at 14 has grown on me, though I would not be surprised if he jumps up the draft boards, especially given Sauce Gardner's impact this past year. If we had a lockdown CB we beat Minnesota and maybe Buffalo too. I think this is the spot on the roster where one guy may be able to make the greatest imapct overall.

The flipside to this, of course, is the part of me that says maybe Brown is a cancer and we need to cut the stiff. That is also a very realistic possibility, and if it happens, then OL shoots to the top need.

Yep, and there should be some worthy ones fitting that description in our range: Gonzales, Porter, Ringo, Cameron Smith & Witherspoon... A couple of them will be gone by then, but a couple of others should still be available... LTs Broderick Jones & Anton Harrison might also be available at 14, as well as WR Jaxon Smith Njigba... All depends on what's done during free agency to address those three issues before the draft...
Coach cap: Smith Ninja doesn't impress me that much at all especially in Round 1 Addison and Hyatt are much better.

Coach cap: Smith Ninja doesn't impress me that much at all especially in Round 1 Addison and Hyatt are much better.

Addison is simply too small for me to consider him with the 14th overall pick in the entire draft.

Agreed and there might be some other right tackles, but none of them replace our gigantic need at left tackle.

Agreed and there might be some other right tackles, but none of them replace our gigantic need at left tackle.

Yep, and it looks like that LT's gonna have to come from the draft, because I don't see anyone on this list whom I would be in any particular hurry to sign... Orlando Brown is too expensive AND too fat for my liking.

Yep, and it looks like that LT's gonna have to come from the draft, because I don't see anyone on this list whom I would be in any particular hurry to sign... Orlando Brown is too expensive AND too fat for my liking.

Imagine Orlando Brown and Trent Brown at the all you can eat buffet. They would eat Patricia under the table.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back