PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is BB's biggest mistake as head coach/GM of Patriots?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is BB's single biggest mistake as Patriot's Head Coach/GM?

• Total voters
Now the 2008 team was old and feeble? You come up with the worst spins. I'd be embarrassed.

Yeah 16-0 to 11-5 is the exact same dropoff in wins as 11-5 to 6-10. Stands out when you think of it that way.

Cassel wasn't bad but the defense was kinda terrible that year and that didn't help either. The Deltha O'Neal days... fun.
This. Losing 5 more games does not mean you did good. If most teams lose 5 more games the next year, it usually shows something really bad happened.

Now the 2008 team was old and feeble? You come up with the worst spins. I'd be embarrassed.
Yeah the 16-0 super team pats were all of the sudden old and done a year later and Cassel thanks to Bill dragged their carcuses to out of the playoffs.

Yeah 16-0 to 11-5 is the exact same dropoff in wins as 11-5 to 6-10. Stands out when you think of it that way.

Cassel wasn't bad but the defense was kinda terrible that year and that didn't help either. The Deltha O'Neal days... fun.

Also being sacked 47 times didn't help.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Also being sacked 47 times didn't help.
Behind the same oline. Its as if something changed... The defense was the same, the difference was, the offense was putting up 40 points a game, tends to make the defenses job a little easier to play when teams are trying to come back.

Yeah 16-0 to 11-5 is the exact same dropoff as 11-5 to 6-10. Stands out when you think of it that way.

Correct. They were old and the rebuild was underway in 2009.

You seem to think, like a child would, that you snap your fingers and move on from a dynasty immediately. It's just childish. 90% of the NFL is so poorly managed, yet you hold BB to this bizarre and unrealstic standard as if these humans playing the sports are plug and play robots in a video game.

Do you watch the NFL?

The vast majority of franchises have never even sniffed trying to get to a SB 2 years in a row, or even being a true playoff contender year to year for that matter, yet you want an overnight, immediate reset from a team that had just formed a dynasty. The chokejob in SB 42 by Brady and that offense, after he ran his mouth before the game, certainly didn't help the vibe in 2008, and after Brady took 5 minutes to rear back and underthrow Moss again out of the shotgun when he got hurt, well, that didn't help that season either. Certainly, none of that was good.

But, it had nothing to do with the point that when BB works DAILY with a QB he picks, the results are good or GREAT (Brady). Get it?

Go back to rooting for whichever team you bandwagoned over from.

You seem to think, like a child would, that you snap your fingers and move on from a dynasty immediately. It's just childish. 90% of the NFL is so poorly managed, yet you hold BB to this bizarre and unrealstic standard as if these humans playing the sports are plug and play robots in a video game.

Do you watch the NFL?

The vast majority of franchises have never even sniffed trying to get to a SB 2 years in a row, or even being a true playoff contender year to year for that matter, yet you want an overnight, immediate reset from a team that had just formed a dynasty. The chokejob in SB 42 by Brady and that offense, after he ran his mouth before the game, certainly didn't help the vibe in 2008, and after Brady took 5 minutes to rear back and underthrow Moss again out of the shotgun when he got hurt, well, that didn't help that season either. Certainly, none of that was good.

But, it had nothing to do with the point that when BB works DAILY with a QB he picks, the results are good or GREAT (Brady). Get it?

Incorrect. The team was stacked

Do you watch the NFL?

The choke job by Brady. lol. So, I guess my question is...if its BB works with QB they turn into goat, why have none of them done that? Also why when the pats lose its Brady's fault, and when they win it was because of belichick?

NewEraQuack
These kinds of people always have the same gimmick too, they tell you that you dont know anything about football and then proceed to say the most stupid crap you have ever heard. I like to mess around with those kinds, but I just do not really take them serious.

The 2008 team was stacked? No, they weren't. Bruschi should have retired but he was doing BB a favor by transitioning to Mayo and then Adalius Thomas whined about his move to MLB with Vrabel as well. Vrabel was old and slow and dealt the next year as a result.

The loss of Seau, Harrison and Samuel were enormous and the rebuild was underway. The team was nowhere near stacked. The transition to a youth movemement was underway. If they hadn't blown SB 42, it wouldn't have stung as much.

PS After Seymour's knee injury he wasn't the same player which is why BB dealt him to Oakland. Well, that and his outrageous salary demands.

The choke job by Brady. lol. So, I guess my question is...if its BB works with QB they turn into goat, why have none of them done that? Also why when the pats lose its Brady's fault, and when they win it was because of belichick?
Yes. CHOKE JOB by Brady. Running his mouth in the press before the SB about points scored and then proceeds to dribble out 7 points in each half in an offensive league. Yes. Choke job. Poo poo running down his leg.

As for BB working daily with a QB of his choosing....Because they aren't here to work with him daily? Cassel was dealt as was JimmyG. My goodness.

Try to keep up.

The concept is working with the GREATEST COACH IN NFL HISTORY EVERYDAY. That means something. He gave Brady all the answers to the test everyday, building his career every year. Get it?

If you have the greatest defensive mind ever telling you WHY you should do or not do something, how, in your ****oo bird world, why would that not have any value?

I apologize in advance if you have a learning disability.

Last edited:
They still were solid on offense, but defensively there were pretty bad at LB and the secondary. BruschiI was just about done and Vrabel fell off a cliff. Thomas getting injured didn’t help. However, the D did settle down and was at least competent later in the year.

With that being said, had Brady not got cheap shotted, they win the Super Bowl that year. 2008 was the worst year of football I’ve ever seen.
then Adalius Thomas whined about his move to MLB with Vrabel as well.
Thomas was signed to play MLB which he did in 2007 so Colvin could be out on the field playing OLB. He was mad after the way he broke his arm in 2008 and had enough of whatever Bill wanted him to do in 2009.

They still were solid on offense, but defensively there were pretty bad at LB and the secondary. BruschiI was just about done and Vrabel fell off a cliff. Thomas getting injured didn’t help. However, the D did settle down and was at least competent later in the year.

With that being said, had Brady not got cheap shotted, they win the Super Bowl that year. 2008 was the worst year of football I’ve ever seen.

Thomas was signed to play MLB which he did in 2007 so Colvin could be out on the field playing OLB. He was mad after the way he broke his arm in 2008 and had enough of whatever Bill wanted him to do in 2009.
Oh for sure the pats win the superbowl in 08. In fact they probably go 16-0 again.

Can you stop with the utterly disingenuous reasoning?

Logic...is dead.

The latest missive:

"The only reason the current Patriots Offensive Coordinator was any good, at any time, was when he had Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski."

"The best Offensive Coordinator in the league right now is Byron Leftwich, but it has nothing to do with the fact he has Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski."
Winning has been, is now and forever will be, about the players who perform the best, not the coaches.

I watched one game where a team was up by two TDs late in the 3rd and the leading HC decides to go for it on 4th down from well inside his own territory. His team gets stopped and the other team gets a TD and the game ends up going right down to the end. The trailing team actually had a chance to win.

It's OK to change your mind.

Now will you please inform Robert Kraft of this, regarding our logo and uniforms...I feel he'll pay more attention to you than me.
You want me to give Kraft a call?

Yeah well here is what actually happened. **** Rehbein was the reason Brady was drafted. Bill had no intention of drafting him. Brady was brought in as a throw away camp body and he worked his way all the way up to being the first on the field when Bledsoe went down. So if it was Bill that developed all of that, why didnt he do it with the QB's that were already on the roster? Did you know that where you are drafted does not dictate what you will be. Is Julian Edelman **** too because he was drafted in the 7th round? Montana was crap, 3rd rounder. But Sam Bradford was the bomb cause he was drafted first.
The Rehbein angle is interesting. According to his widow, **** didn't just like Brady. He predicted his greatness. Then we have Bill saying that they were hesitant to draft Tom because his college coach had him splitting time. That makes it sound like **** had some influence on Bill.

As for the question of why, if Bill's so great at player development, didn't he do it with other players. That one's too difficult for @NewEraWithMac and he'll probably just play dumb.

The draft is a crap shoot but I'm glad that so many fans enjoy it. I can also see how it might be fun to make guesses on each player. I don't bother because I don't follow college football, though I've been rethinking that now that they're paying the players.

putting his kids on his staff...stupid move
I agree, they need to make a name for themselves elsewhere like others. People always resent the kids and/or not take them seriously when Daddy's the boss.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back