PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is BB's biggest mistake as head coach/GM of Patriots?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is BB's single biggest mistake as Patriot's Head Coach/GM?

• Total voters
He didn't ignore it. He gave Manboobs the middle finger after the Jets violated the rule with 2 cameras. Teams can't use 2. A normal commissioner would have punished both based on the knowledge they had a falling out and fined each and moved on similar the both the Yankees and Red Sox getting a punishment each for the shenanigans in 2017.

Again, Goodell is the cheater.

F Goodell no doubt. Spygate was not a big deal, BUT BB could have just realized that the league would have been all over the Pats like flies on sheet and just start breaking down signals using the all-22 and the TV tapes. We would have avoided 750K in fines and kept a first round pick....

IMO, BB interpreted the rule more accurately....but should have realized that Goodell was gonna serve the other owners and clamp down on the Pats for winning so damn much...

F Goodell no doubt. Spygate was not a big deal, BUT BB could have just realized that the league would have been all over the Pats like flies on sheet and just start breaking down signals using the all-22 and the TV tapes. We would have avoided 750K in fines and kept a first round pick....

IMO, BB interpreted the rule more accurately....but should have realized that Goodell was gonna serve the other owners and clamp down on the Pats for winning so damn much...
I agree. I just think at the time, I am not sure anyone in the Pats organization would have nary a clue that these other owners literally told Woody Johnson to hire a new commissioner, colluding behind Kraft's back like that.

They "interviewed" Goodell and no one else because Goodell was willing to be unethical and stand up there and tap dance like a lawyer, lie and be a fraud, and do it for 30 million a year. It's funny to me how this day, other fanbases don't know they've been duped.

His admission in a federal court about Article 46 proves this. The NFL's testimony said it didn't matter what the truth is. You'd think the general public would be smart enough to understand what that means.

I still can't believe Goebbels had the stones to dock them a pick for the documentary shots in Cincy either. And, Kraft just sits there.

We could probably make a list of 15-20 unbelievably egregious calls at end of games where he cheated the Pats too with his orders to ref crews in trying to manipulate the outcome of a game, that are nowhere the "oh, that was a subjectively bad call" type play that every fanbase deals with.

biggest mistakes?

1. No Brainer - Not extending Brady... not sure if i posted it here, but i was on the record in 2018 saying at least a 4 year 100 million dollar extension, two option years to lower the cap hit.

2. After watching Brady tear it up with Moss, not going after a high caliber #1 wr.

3. Letting the cupboard run bare in 2019.

4. This is a twofer - Duane Starks & Monty Beisel... 'nuff said

5. Malcolm Butler / LI ... could have been, should have been 3 in a row. Even if he sat him for half the game, I think he would have sparked a flagging D by entering the game...

Not sure if this fits the bill, but i always have wondered if there was some kind of adjustment to be made in 42 that was missed... Having not rewatched that game, i'm hard pressed to remember much detail...
This is like saying the cupboard "ran bare" in 2009 or 2010. No, it's called rebuilding. He did it in 2000/2001, 2010/2011 and he just did it again. It's what he does. It's a macro 10 year span kind of a thing.

90% of NFL teams don't even know how to do it once.

This is like saying the cupboard "ran bare" in 2009 or 2010. No, it's called rebuilding. He did it in 2000/2001, 2010/2011 and he just did it again. It's what he does. It's a macro 10 year span kind of a thing.

90% of NFL teams don't even know how to do it once.
phrase it how you'd like, no matter... money was low, talent was low... its all the same thing

No offense but your poll looks like it was built by a 14 year old.

1. Brady wasn't going to be offered a multi year deal. He may have, but his attitude changed years earlier. Brady wanted some kind of control even though he had it all with the TB12 facility and the whole thing in terms or what he'd already accomplished. I would imagine we'll hear later Kraft putting the TB12 facility on the property, meant Brady would expect more and more to satisfy his weird desire for more attention.
2. Butler had the flu, showed up late, told coaches to F Off, and then somehow cried after being told he wasn't in the starting lineup. He was unstable at that point. I don't understand how people can bring this up. Butler went off the rails and word was he faked the flu and arrived so late as contract leverage. The guy was delusional and wasn't the same after that.
3. BB gave Garoppolo a 7.5 mil 2018 contract to stay like a retainer, and since Brady and Jimmy had the same agent, Brady knew about this.
4. Lamar Jackson is not good for a future QB. I have no interest in a running back as my QB who runs play design and thinks it can be consistent.
5. Thuney, paying Flowers and Hightower instead, and 2 more rings makes this a very dumb premise.

Ok it's confirmed. "NewEraWithMac" is BB, or one of his kids.

-Not giving Brady an extension
moving on from Brady wasn't a mistake because the guy wanted out of New England and if he stayed he would have continued to sulk and take up a good portion of the salary cap. At some point it was gonna be time to cross that bridge to move on for him Belichick took a year to get the salary cap straight and get a QB in a draft that was one of the the deepest top half of the draft for QBs ever.

-Trading Garoppolo
he won another SB from sticking with Brady and trading Garoppolo. Is winning SBs now a mistake?

-Not playing Malcolm Butler
There was clearly something that happened that made him unplayable.

-Not drafting Lamar Jackson
That wasn't a mistake, he wasn't a fit and wouldn't be able to run the system. Him sitting behind Brady for a couple of years would have been pointless because you would have had to implement another system. Ravens had to fire their OC after Jackson's fist year and bring in the guy that made Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor. Michel helped win a SB.

-Trading Chandler Jones
Trading a guy for a draft pick that became an anchor for your OL for 3 straight SB appearances is not a mistake. It's the opposite.

If Brady ends up winning MVP I think we can definitively say that moving on from Brady was an unmitigated disaster. He only wanted a 2 year deal and BB wanted to go year to year since his assessment of Brady's 2nd year contract demand (2021 year, current year) was that Brady would collapse. If instead Brady is having an MVP type year, it just tells you BB royally ****ed up in his assessment. Brady was worth the money he was asking and then some. We could have had him for $50m for 2 years. Instead we offered $23m for 1. Even after last year's run for Brady everyone was saying that the Bucs will now suffer having offered him a multiyear deal which BB refused to. I think so far this season is showing that we can stop debating this and just move on. BB bungled his assessment of and market value of Brady for these last 2 years. **** happens. BB isn't god. So be it.

Let's hope Mac works well and let's move on. But no need to sugarcoat what was done. The FO can make mistakes. Our assessment of and handling of Brady was one such mistake.

biggest mistakes?

1. No Brainer - Not extending Brady... not sure if i posted it here, but i was on the record in 2018 saying at least a 4 year 100 million dollar extension, two option years to lower the cap hit.

2. After watching Brady tear it up with Moss, not going after a high caliber #1 wr.

3. Letting the cupboard run bare in 2019.

4. This is a twofer - Duane Starks & Monty Beisel... 'nuff said

5. Malcolm Butler / LI ... could have been, should have been 3 in a row. Even if he sat him for half the game, I think he would have sparked a flagging D by entering the game...

Not sure if this fits the bill, but i always have wondered if there was some kind of adjustment to be made in 42 that was missed... Having not rewatched that game, i'm hard pressed to remember much detail...
1. There MIGHT have been a chance to extend Brady during the preseason of 2018, but even then the forces the NFL put on teams with the salary cap were working on them. In retrospect by the off season of 2019 I think that ship had sailed. Wasn't that when we first heard that Brady put his Brookline house up for sales.

Plus I think Bill DID try to help Brady out. Didn't he us #1 on a WR for the first time ever. Didn't he overpay to bring Sanu in. Those were BOTH moves made to placate Tom, who had one foot out the door after Brown self destructed. I believe strongly that Tom was out the door and looking for new pastures with better offensive weapons and a warm climate. I think some Pats fans and the media are wrong when they think that if the Pats had only "paid" him, he would still have been here.

Granted Tom is a freakin' miracle, but who knew anyone could perform at this level at 43 and 44. Bill didn't think so when he drafted Jimmy, back in 2014, but had to change his mind when Brady exited camp every year as the best QB on the field. No cliffs, Max But only a desperate team pays a QB at that age big money, and the Bucs were the perfect storm. Just traded their QB. They had a ton of offensive talent, and a desperate owner with an empty stadium. Personally I was THRILLED when I heard of the signing. I felt Brady was going to a great situation, and the Pats were going to go through a reboot of a couple of years that would have wasted what little time Brady had left.

2. Like I said they got what they thought was the best WR left with their first pick. It didn't work out, but the effort was there.

3. Well the cupboard was bare after 20 years and a bad string of drafts that every club goes through. That and the cap.

4. Right on this one

5. The more I learn about this one, the less I question their decision, though I think not dressing him would have been kinder.

1. There MIGHT have been a chance to extend Brady

2. Like I said they got what they thought was the best WR left with their first pick. It didn't work out, but the effort was there.

3. Well the cupboard was bare after 20 years and a bad string of drafts that every club goes through. That and the cap.

4. Right on this one

5. The more I learn about this one, the less I question their decision, though I think not dressing him would have been kinder.
1. yeah, it needed to be done prior to the 2018 season. should have been more clear on that

2. should have been more clear - circa 2009 forward on the wr

3. it happens. no doubt.

5. until one or the other writes a book, i dont think we will ever truly know

I like facts and reality. Are you denying Curran saw what he saw and what I saw in real time on NFL.com with the Chris Jones "penalty" that wasn't a penalty.

It's kinda suspicious this huge game changing calls affect our team at the end of games or as TDs on the scoreboard, don't ya think? I don't recall these "events" when Rozelle or Tagliabue were commissioner.
So you believe that Goodell has conspired with NFL refs to make blatant wrong calls against the Patriots for years just because Woody asked him to do so?

That's why asked about the flying saucers.

So you believe that Goodell has conspired with NFL refs to make blatant wrong calls against the Patriots for years just because Woody asked him to do so?

That's why asked about the flying saucers.
No, I know there is proof of a clear cut bias against the Patriots that started on 9.6.06 Goodell's first day on the job. This just so happened to coincide with Mangin's scumbag move stealing some of BB's staff and Mangini needing to be locked out of the facility. These aren't coincidences. And, yes, Johnson "volunteered" to vet the new commissioner. That's for starters, not to mention all the rule changes every year. Cam Chancellor was the first guy I ever saw jump the line of scrimmage and then Jamie Collins did it in 2013 in his rookie year in Indy, and people complained when he did it, and the rule was changed only then.

I mean, there's just so many examples of the harassment since Goodell took over.

When Deflategate happened, Sal Palantonio said Goodell receives calls regularly about the Pats "have to be cheating". The jealousy and whining led to the framing of Brady and the Pats, "coincidentally" on the heels of Brady telling Harbaugh to "check the rule book". The NFL likely didn't like that honesty from Brady.

You seem to not like facts.

These aren't conspiracies. This is about jealousy, ego and money. The more balanced the winning is, the more money all the owners make. Yes, Goodell was hired to make this a reality. Dynasties are bad for business. And, yes, I do believe ref crews are "coached" which would explain all the creepy calls or non-calls that magically went against this team in the last 15 years. I can probably make a list 15-20 deep of absolutely bizarre wrong calls, including in the SB vs the Eagles. Everyone and their mother knows the catch rule and Michaels and Collinsworth are 100% sure Clement shifted the ball with some jostling involved, because you know, that's what the replay showed. Even when they use replay, they still lie to the NFL customer.

Next, the refusal to include booth reviews and how they write rules with a huge grey area are dead giveaways that Goodell wants his henchmen to be able to operate.

Absolutely.

Even MLB is better at this wanting to get it right, reviewing close calls. The NFL doesn't want it because it would affect what Goodell wants to be able to do.

In 2012 during the ref lockout there was an unnamed replacement ref who talked about being coached before the Seattle/GB game that caused so much controversy, so there is proof that stuff exists whether you're naive enough not to believe it or not.

Ok it's confirmed. "NewEraWithMac" is BB, or one of his kids.
Nope. I just know BB is the GM and Coach and responsible for a large part of our joy the last 20 years. I kinda like it when the GM and Coach of my teams are really great at what they do.

I can see everybody else already said "whattayamean mistakes"

I feel left out :(

If Brady ends up winning MVP I think we can definitively say that moving on from Brady was an unmitigated disaster. He only wanted a 2 year deal and BB wanted to go year to year since his assessment of Brady's 2nd year contract demand (2021 year, current year) was that Brady would collapse. If instead Brady is having an MVP type year, it just tells you BB royally ****ed up in his assessment. Brady was worth the money he was asking and then some. We could have had him for $50m for 2 years. Instead we offered $23m for 1. Even after last year's run for Brady everyone was saying that the Bucs will now suffer having offered him a multiyear deal which BB refused to. I think so far this season is showing that we can stop debating this and just move on. BB bungled his assessment of and market value of Brady for these last 2 years. **** happens. BB isn't god. So be it.

Let's hope Mac works well and let's move on. But no need to sugarcoat what was done. The FO can make mistakes. Our assessment of and handling of Brady was one such mistake.
Tom was in the twilight of his career...

Was dumping AB on Bill, or Kraft?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back