PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is BB's biggest mistake as head coach/GM of Patriots?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is BB's single biggest mistake as Patriot's Head Coach/GM?

• Total voters

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
GOAT coach yes, but there have been big mistakes, particularly in last 5 years

No offense but your poll looks like it was built by a 14 year old.

1. Brady wasn't going to be offered a multi year deal. He may have, but his attitude changed years earlier. Brady wanted some kind of control even though he had it all with the TB12 facility and the whole thing in terms or what he'd already accomplished. I would imagine we'll hear later Kraft putting the TB12 facility on the property, meant Brady would expect more and more to satisfy his weird desire for more attention.
2. Butler had the flu, showed up late, told coaches to F Off, and then somehow cried after being told he wasn't in the starting lineup. He was unstable at that point. I don't understand how people can bring this up. Butler went off the rails and word was he faked the flu and arrived so late as contract leverage. The guy was delusional and wasn't the same after that.
3. BB gave Garoppolo a 7.5 mil 2018 contract to stay like a retainer, and since Brady and Jimmy had the same agent, Brady knew about this.
4. Lamar Jackson is not good for a future QB. I have no interest in a running back as my QB who runs play design and thinks it can be consistent.
5. Thuney, paying Flowers and Hightower instead, and 2 more rings makes this a very dumb premise.

BB going with the status quo (Caserio and whoever else) with regards to personnel in the back half of the 2010s. He can say we sold out cap wise to continue the run as long as we could but had the drafting been there the talent would’ve have dried up so quickly.

Credit to BB for the changes made this offseason. It’s early but the draft results look more promising than in recent years.

I forget if this guy is someone who changed his username. Sounds like a Pats stooge/schill
Careful, that could be Ernie or Berj, the Armenian enforcer.

Where's the option for All of the above? Lmao

3. BB gave Garoppolo a 7.5 mil 2018 contract to stay like a retainer, and since Brady and Jimmy had the same agent, Brady knew about this.
Assuming this happened (I haven't heard of this, and haven't seen anything suggesting it), it would be a shot in the dark, at best, from Belichick. Given the market for QBs, Don Yee would have been committing malpractice to recommend Garoppolo sign anything that didn't guarantee him at least the franchise tag number.

Assuming this happened (I haven't heard of this, and haven't seen anything suggesting it), it would be a shot in the dark, at best, from Belichick. Given the market for QBs, Don Yee would have been committing malpractice to recommend Garoppolo sign anything that didn't guarantee him at least the franchise tag number.

That's Bedard on 98.5 radio, 10.31.17. I heard it. I don't think Bedard would make up these random stories. Garoppolo rejected it because Yee knew the landscape and knew his client was about to be a FA. So, BB wasn't in a good spot there. The word was, BB was ready to move on from Brady after 2017. Kraft got involved and altered the situation.

So, this drama goes way back. It's not that offensive because a 2nd dynasty was formed.

Jimmy G looks like hot garbage. A game manager with no ceiling..

hope Mac is way better than that

Jimmy G looks like hot garbage. A game manager with no ceiling..

hope Mac is way better than that

He's actually not bad if he can consistently play 16 (now17) games a year.... 49ers win 75% of games that he starts. His problem is he's made of glass.

-Not giving Brady an extension
moving on from Brady wasn't a mistake because the guy wanted out of New England and if he stayed he would have continued to sulk and take up a good portion of the salary cap. At some point it was gonna be time to cross that bridge to move on for him Belichick took a year to get the salary cap straight and get a QB in a draft that was one of the the deepest top half of the draft for QBs ever.

-Trading Garoppolo
he won another SB from sticking with Brady and trading Garoppolo. Is winning SBs now a mistake?

-Not playing Malcolm Butler
There was clearly something that happened that made him unplayable.

-Not drafting Lamar Jackson
That wasn't a mistake, he wasn't a fit and wouldn't be able to run the system. Him sitting behind Brady for a couple of years would have been pointless because you would have had to implement another system. Ravens had to fire their OC after Jackson's fist year and bring in the guy that made Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor. Michel helped win a SB.

-Trading Chandler Jones
Trading a guy for a draft pick that became an anchor for your OL for 3 straight SB appearances is not a mistake. It's the opposite.

BB going with the status quo (Caserio and whoever else) with regards to personnel in the back half of the 2010s. He can say we sold out cap wise to continue the run as long as we could but had the drafting been there the talent would’ve have dried up so quickly.

Credit to BB for the changes made this offseason. It’s early but the draft results look more promising than in recent years.

SMH.. The revisionist history is astounding.

The Patriots went to 8straight AFC Championships. They won 5 of those 8. 4 of the 5 wins took place from 2014-2019. During that time, they won 3 of the 5 Super Bowls. So, that back half of the 2010s accounted for HALF of the SB rings BB has earned with the Pats. This idea of yours that the "talent dried up so quickly" isn't actually supported by fact.

You're also forgetting the draft picks that were stolen because of the FALSE accusations by the COLTS known as "DeflateGate". And you're ignoring that winning those SBs and being in 8 consecutive AFC Championships put the Pats drafting in the bottom 4 picks of the draft for 8 consecutive years. If you don't think that had an affect on the talent available to them, I don't know what to tell you..

The Patriots hated the talent in the 2017 draft so much, that they traded away their 1st and 3rd round picks for Brandin Cooks. They traded away their 2nd round pick for Kony Ealy and a 3rd. And lastly they traded a 5th round pick of James O'Shaughnessy and a 6th round pick. They 3rd and 6th round picks also ended up getting traded.

There were no "changes" this off-season except that a lot of dead money came off the books. And BB mentioned this already.

The timing of this thread is quite funny after a win. This would’ve been better during the off-season.

However, Bill’s biggest mistake was not keeping talent or surrounding Tom with talent while the nucleus that Bill built was still intact from 2005-2009 which started the 10 year drought. They should’ve won at least two rings between 2005-2009. He let guys walk without replacements, failed to address weaknesses, signed some really bad players, traded 3 players between 2006-2010 he shouldn’t have (who am I referring to) and drafted guys who weren’t needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: sb1
SMH.. The revisionist history is astounding.

The Patriots went to 8straight AFC Championships. They won 5 of those 8. 4 of the 5 wins took place from 2014-2019. During that time, they won 3 of the 5 Super Bowls. So, that back half of the 2010s accounted for HALF of the SB rings BB has earned with the Pats. This idea of yours that the "talent dried up so quickly" isn't actually supported by fact.

You're also forgetting the draft picks that were stolen because of the FALSE accusations by the COLTS known as "DeflateGate". And you're ignoring that winning those SBs and being in 8 consecutive AFC Championships put the Pats drafting in the bottom 4 picks of the draft for 8 consecutive years. If you don't think that had an affect on the talent available to them, I don't know what to tell you..

The Patriots hated the talent in the 2017 draft so much, that they traded away their 1st and 3rd round picks for Brandin Cooks. They traded away their 2nd round pick for Kony Ealy and a 3rd. And lastly they traded a 5th round pick of James O'Shaughnessy and a 6th round pick. They 3rd and 6th round picks also ended up getting traded.

There were no "changes" this off-season except that a lot of dead money came off the books. And BB mentioned this already.

I will say Caserio leaving and Ziegler, Groh and Wolf taking on more prominent roles constitutes change.

And yes I am aware of the lost deflate gate pick. I’m going off the picks/trades we were able to make. The whole we draft in the last few spots every year doesn’t hold up when we’ve been doing that for 2 decades and you see a noticeable drop in talent in the 2016-19 drafts compared to the 2010-15 drafts. The previous 4 drafts prior to 2010 were pretty craptastic as well.

Regardless this is nitpicking because this game is about wins and losses and BB is the best to ever do it.But the question was asked on what his biggest miscue was and my response geared toward the draft.

I'd say it was lack of flexibility. For as flexible as Bill can be with schemes and acqisition depending on circumstamcrs, he shows a remarkable lack of ability to manager players depending on the situation. While it brings a stability and predictability which can be helpful, it also brings a rigidness. It goes back to the way he does everything. Nearly every poor decision he has made has been due to his inability to bend when needed. He has also failed to build his team appropriately at times. His love affair with special teams is a slight detriment to the team. Many times we've seen players sit for less skilled guys cause they are better special teamers. I'm not saying don't have specialiat, but how good your special teams are is usually a factor of your kicker, punter and return man. They are GM choices. Not coaching and game day choices. You don't need to worry about your 8th best player in kick return coverage. If you can't coach a more promising player up over a less promising one ( in respect to offense and defense) so that he won't get exposed doing one of the less demanding jobs. That's on you.

The time and energu devoted to these ubits, not to mention the personnel spots, seem to be a massive waste of resources. Particularly when we lack one of the big 3 spots on special teams.

BB's biggest failure is not listening to some of the future HOF GM's that currently reside here. These are not men of idle opinion, this is the way to dominance. A complete lack of respect, not even an invite to hang out on his boat. He's completely inflexible in that matter, go figure. Think of all the priceless memes he could bring to his boring press conferences. Why worry about dulling the age of husbandry? It's time he goes and let some of the better minds and memes lead the way to ignominy. How do you guys feel about Hans Abrahamsen?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back