PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is BB's biggest mistake as head coach/GM of Patriots?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is BB's single biggest mistake as Patriot's Head Coach/GM?

• Total voters
That’s two different questions.

As coach in the past 5 years that’s easy. Butler benching. Cost a SB and helped push his generational QB and TE out the door. Overall not just in the last 5 years- it was Spygate. Brought down misery not just on his franchise but us fans too. I really think chances are not zero that he does not make the HOF on the first ballot because of that. Lesser coaches get fired from those two incidents.

As GM there is plenty of material. Not giving Brady an extension stands out. Not trusting in your once in a lifetime QB that he can still be elite and going all in for him. Pats don’t win the SB last season with Brady but they do this year. I really believe that. Also C Jones would be a monster here if they didn’t trade him for peanuts. The draft failures too numerous to count.

OT defer to the NYJ in 2015. Lost game. Lost HFA. Lost at DEN. Stupid.
2015 is a good answer.

I vividly remember thinking the last 4-5 games his coaching in those games were head scratching. Especially that Miami one. It was the only time I was genuinely confused with his thinking in some of those games.

Biggest mistake : thinking that bringing craploads of titles to town would be enough for fans.
Kinda related but kinda not.. Remember that."Is Belichick autistic?" thread? We were in the middle of our second dynasty and winning rings and not even that was enough for some people. That thread was so bad lol

The timing of this thread is quite funny after a win. This would’ve been better during the off-season.

However, Bill’s biggest mistake was not keeping talent or surrounding Tom with talent while the nucleus that Bill built was still intact from 2005-2009 which started the 10 year drought. They should’ve won at least two rings between 2005-2009. He let guys walk without replacements, failed to address weaknesses, signed some really bad players, traded 3 players between 2006-2010 he shouldn’t have (who am I referring to) and drafted guys who weren’t needed.

Just about every GM has done as “badly” or worse, even Todd Licht, who took nearly a decade to build his team - and then only after learning from BB.

Just about every GM has done as “badly” or worse, even Todd Licht, who took nearly a decade to build his team - and then only after learning from BB.
...and where are the "Licht, Arians, Leftwich" are useless it's all Tom" people... TBay won the SB. They've been great on offense and adequate on D. We are over a month away from Halloween and people are reay to say Tampa is the greatest dynasty in history.

2015 is a good answer.

I vividly remember thinking the last 4-5 games his coaching in those games were head scratching. Especially that Miami one. It was the only time I was genuinely confused with his thinking in some of those games.
I kinda understood the MIA game plan. Bill was giving the run game some work and Tom was getting killed towards the end of the season so limiting his throws and subsequent hits was in the team's best interest. Just didn't work out.

BB's biggest failure is not listening to some of the future HOF GM's that currently reside here. These are not men of idle opinion, this is the way to dominance. A complete lack of respect, not even an invite to hang out on his boat. He's completely inflexible in that matter, go figure. Think of all the priceless memes he could bring to his boring press conferences. Why worry about dulling the age of husbandry? It's time he goes and let some of the better minds and memes lead the way to ignominy. How do you guys feel about Hans Abrahamsen?

When you see Bill, tell him to check his ignored voicemail(s). I’m guessing he accidentally blocked my calls because I don’t have a local Massachusetts number.

I think we have hashed through the past enough. In terms of 2021, here is what I am frustrated with:

1) Trading Sony. When we traded Sony, I said I did not like the trade. Thought it was a bad idea to trade Sony for a 4th round pick when he was having a very good TC and the focus of our team was going to be to run the ball. I was concerned about having a rookie behind Harris and a second year player in Taylor who barely saw the field last year. I am worried about Harris carrying the ball too much and getting hurt. Sony would have added more value to our team this year than getting a 4th next year.

2) Letting Thuney walk - a player we drafted and developed who was an anchor for us because "the cap" even though we spent $150 mil on FAs and we trade for Brown who the Raiders were happy to part ways with given he hurt his calf for them and missed multiple games last year. So what happens in week one? Brown goes down with the calf and now we are our 3rd or 4th right tackle?

3) Gilmore - our best defensive player who is sitting for 6 games because Bill did not want to give him a few extra million because "the cap." I am fearful now when we play the Saints, Bucs and Cowboys over the next few weeks. Our secondary is just not very good and we are getting very little pass rush on top.

This thread needs to be sent to the Tom Brady forum because even though thread is about Bill Belichick, the very first option mentions Brady. So yea.

There's no Ray Lewis option. This poll is invalid.

Also there's no choice for "Not being able to draft and develop wide receivers regularly".
Watching the game last night and my wife saw the 'thic' dancers in their scanty outfits and commented how trashy it was. I mentioned how it's Baltimore and they have a statue to a guy who was involved in the deaths of two people outside the stadium so what do you expect.....
I told her every poll has to have the RLKAG option.

I think we have hashed through the past enough. In terms of 2021, here is what I am frustrated with:

1) Trading Sony. When we traded Sony, I said I did not like the trade. Thought it was a bad idea to trade Sony for a 4th round pick when he was having a very good TC and the focus of our team was going to be to run the ball. I was concerned about having a rookie behind Harris and a second year player in Taylor who barely saw the field last year. I am worried about Harris carrying the ball too much and getting hurt. Sony would have added more value to our team this year than getting a 4th next year.

2) Letting Thuney walk - a player we drafted and developed who was an anchor for us because "the cap" even though we spent $150 mil on FAs and we trade for Brown who the Raiders were happy to part ways with given he hurt his calf for them and missed multiple games last year. So what happens in week one? Brown goes down with the calf and now we are our 3rd or 4th right tackle?

3) Gilmore - our best defensive player who is sitting for 6 games because Bill did not want to give him a few extra million because "the cap." I am fearful now when we play the Saints, Bucs and Cowboys over the next few weeks. Our secondary is just not very good and we are getting very little pass rush on top.
You do realize "the cap" is real and the pie is only so big. Keep giving everybody everything and you end up with $50 million in dead money (like Philly) and strapped to get a team on the field and they aren't going to let themselves in that situation ....

You do realize "the cap" is real and the pie is only so big. Keep giving everybody everything and you end up with $50 million in dead money (like Philly) and strapped to get a team on the field and they aren't going to let themselves in that situation ....
I get it. Believe me. But look at the players we DID spend money on? Godchaux looks like a bust. Mills is not good at all. Better to take his money and give it to Gilmore. Trading pennies on the dollar to get Brown back and not paying Thuney seems like a really big miss given our run game is a priority and we have a rookie QB. Sony was not costing us anything to keep. That is the most head scratching of all of them IMO.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back