PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is BB's biggest mistake as head coach/GM of Patriots?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is BB's single biggest mistake as Patriot's Head Coach/GM?

• Total voters
My post was about Butler and the impact of not having him out there.

Fireable for any other coach without a doubt.

No. There's a reason why coaches get fired a lot in this league and one of those is about respect. If you lose control of your locker room, your season is derailed. You don't enable bad behaviors. It's why Moss was dealt and Brady was MVP in 2010. Moss was a cancer, BB knew it, and it saved the season, as Brady was staring down Moss for his new contract into the Lockout and BB knew it.

Butler was terrible in the postseason, then had the flu (supposedly), showed up to work telling a coach to F off, and was clearly distracted, not to be trusted, and then cried. This guy is supposed to be trusted on the field? Bademosi was generally fine except for overrunning Agholor on that 3rd down. That was the play to make and there is simply no guarantee Butler would have made that.

I mean, shouldn't someone be asking why a grown man who isn't starting is crying about it? I had concern for the man. He had some kind of a mental breakdown.

I had to look back.

Fair to say Brady's worst playoff games ever were against the Ravens in 09 & Jets in 2010?
Agreed. The 2005 Broncos loss wasn't a great game by Brady either but it wasn't just him the Pats in general weren't a Super Bowl caliber team that year

They both do.

They are human. Stuff like this doesnt even need to be said. Of course Brady AND Belichick makes mistakes.
Exactly. I just think it's funny some in this fanbase think Brady doesn't make any. It somehow is only BB. As if Brady was made in some lab somewhere.

Agreed. The 2005 Broncos loss wasn't a great game by Brady either but it wasn't just him the Pats in general weren't a Super Bowl caliber team that year
That was also the game were Bailey lost the ball over the pylon and they marked it at the 1 yard line, Samuel got a PI call at the 1 yard line on Lelie and the ball landed in the first row behind the end zone and it wasn't interference.

The quest to stop NE's run was in full force, even back then.

No. There's a reason why coaches get fired a lot in this league and one of those is about respect. If you lose control of your locker room, your season is derailed. You don't enable bad behaviors. It's why Moss was dealt and Brady was MVP in 2010. Moss was a cancer, BB knew it, and it saved the season, as Brady was staring down Moss for his new contract into the Lockout and BB knew it.

Butler was terrible in the postseason, then had the flu (supposedly), showed up to work telling a coach to F off, and was clearly distracted, not to be trusted, and then cried. This guy is supposed to be trusted on the field? Bademosi was generally fine except for overrunning Agholor on that 3rd down. That was the play to make and there is simply no guarantee Butler would have made that.

I mean, shouldn't someone be asking why a grown man who isn't starting is crying about it? I had concern for the man. He had some kind of a mental breakdown.
Our best tackling corner needed to make 1-2 plays on third down to flip the outcome. That's it. And he would have.

Instead Bill sits him to make a point - whatever that point was.

Misread it - I thought you were referring to the SB's and not the AFCCG. The SB's weren't his best games (especially 2011) but they were far from bad games. Didn't help that he and Gronk were injured in XLII and XLVI respectively.
Well, his shotgun spread preference and ****iness going into the 2008 SB was bad. His Safety to start SB 46, the INT on first down in NYGs territory on an underthrow to start the 4th QTR was also really bad. He was in some other world then. Very strange to see such gaffes. The point is, the Ds got them into each SB vs the Giants and Brady could have bounced back in either SB, and he didn't.

Our best tackling corner needed to make 1-2 plays on third down to flip the outcome. That's it. And he would have.

Instead Bill sits him to make a point - whatever that point was.
I would be angry about that game but we won another after and got to witness 6 as a fanbase.

It happens.

That was also the game were Bailey lost the ball over the pylon and they marked it at the 1 yard line, Samuel got a PI call at the 1 yard line on Lelie and the ball landed in the first row behind the end zone and it wasn't interference.

The quest to stop NE's run was in full force, even back then.
Maybe but even if they won they would have been blasted by the Steelers in the championship round. They weren't a SB worthy team that year on either side of the ball. Injuries didn't help

Don't know about hot garbage. I went back and watched the playoffs game against the Chargers. And though NE won, the aura of invincibility was gone. After the Buffalo game, the offense wasn't so much historic anymore. Again, I only went by YouTube videos and stats.

Still....Brady is a helmet catch away from 19-0.
Did you expect those offenses to put up 14-17 points against a bottom 5 ranked D like the Giants? Because I didn't. I wasn't doing cart wheels at halftime in SB 42 I can tell you that. I was very concerned.

The second half of SB 46 was arguably worse. They never scored again after halftime. I don't know you win a SB in an offensive league like that. It makes the SB vs the Rams that much more mindblowing.

I don't think so. He's been skewered unfairly so much of the time in this town since he arrived. 98.5's entire existence centers around it.
Their job is to rile people up and they are good at it.

And this is where your agenda shows.

You are bias. You can't even admit people do the same for Belichick.
You're trying to tell me the media in this town held Brady accountable for when he made a mistake or mistakes? Please don't insult my intelligence.

A big reason why BB drafted JimmyG with the idea to possibly move on from Brady is specifically tied the idea not one mediahead in that locker room wrote about how Brady was underperforming in postseasons for YEARS. Brady was above it to the public and the media. It created an uncoachable player over a period of time. That's why BB felt he needed to draft the ONLY QB meant to replace Brady in 2014 while Brady kept passive-aggressively doing constant interviews about "playing until 45".

Even Giselle was blaming others on the last drive of SB 46 when it should have never come to that. Who takes a Safety on the first play of a SB? Who leads their team to ZERO point in the second half of a SB and expects to win after choosing to throw 50 times with leads the entire half? I mean, if we're going to bash Shanahan for stopping running the ball vs the Pats in the SB or vs the Chiefs, why does Brady not get the same treatment?

Meanwhile, Butler goes off the rails, it's noted by the media and it is somehow BB's fault? Laughable. What's next, BB created Hernandez's childhood and background and turned him into Tony Montana?

Their job is to rile people up and they are good at it.
Well, no, as you can see in the world today, it's not their job. They have a responsibility. It's very dangerous for the media to lie to the public, as we see in the world today.

Goodell lying, 98.5 lying or you know who with the orange skin lying, is all still lying. And, it's dangerous.

Meanwhile, Butler goes off the rails, it's noted by the media and it is somehow BB's fault?
It is BB's fault for setting up his defense to fail and get embarrassed by Nick Foles. And deliberately so.

It is BB's fault for setting up his defense to fail and get embarrassed by Nick Foles. And deliberately so.
Discussion over. I hope you get help.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
I think there is a bit of revisionist history with Brady. Without even rehashing the divorce argument and who was right and wrong, Brady looked like a QB in significant decline in 2019 and was 42 years old. 20/20 hindsight it is clear that Brady had plenty left in the tank, but few people felt in 2018-winter 2020 that Brady would be playing in the first weeks of the 2021 season almost as well as he was in the first few weeks of 2007. If teams felt that way, they would have been fighting over each other to signing him.

In hindsight, it looks to be a poor decision. But even that could change if Mac Jones turns into a top QB and leads the Pats to multiple Super Bowls since Jones most likely wouldn't be a Patriot if Brady was a Patriot last year because the Pats would have drafted in the 20s.

As for Belichick's biggest mistakes, I don't think he has a glaring one single mistake that stands out above the rest. He has had his fair share of mistakes over the years especially as GM, but I don't one that I think stands out. If I had a gun to my head, I would says not trading Garoppolo in the offseason before the season he was traded. Reports were he could have gotten upwards to multiple first round picks. But I think Belichick was planning to keep Garoppolo around and letting Brady walk. Of course in hindsight, that would have been a mistake because Brady netted the Pats another Super Bowl and you gotta question Garoppolo's durability and ability to play big in big situations.

I think there is a bit of revisionist history with Brady. Without even rehashing the divorce argument and who was right and wrong, Brady looked like a QB in significant decline in 2019 and was 42 years old. 20/20 hindsight it is clear that Brady had plenty left in the tank, but few people felt in 2018-winter 2020 that Brady would be playing in the first weeks of the 2021 season almost as well as he was in the first few weeks of 2007. If teams felt that way, they would have been fighting over each other to signing him.

In hindsight, it looks to be a poor decision. But even that could change if Mac Jones turns into a top QB and leads the Pats to multiple Super Bowls since Jones most likely wouldn't be a Patriot if Brady was a Patriot last year because the Pats would have drafted in the 20s.

As for Belichick's biggest mistakes, I don't think he has a glaring one single mistake that stands out above the rest. He has had his fair share of mistakes over the years especially as GM, but I don't one that I think stands out. If I had a gun to my head, I would says not trading Garoppolo in the offseason before the season he was traded. Reports were he could have gotten upwards to multiple first round picks. But I think Belichick was planning to keep Garoppolo around and letting Brady walk. Of course in hindsight, that would have been a mistake because Brady netted the Pats another Super Bowl and you gotta question Garoppolo's durability and ability to play big in big situations.
All GMs make mistakes. Ours is the greatest ever, because he's made the LEAST, comparably. BB is so great, a commissioner was hired specifically to harass and cheat our team for ego and financial reasons for the owners.

As for Belichick's biggest mistakes, I don't think he has a glaring one single mistake that stands out above the rest.
Not checking with the league before taping the Jets does stand out. We all know what the fallout was of what became Spygate

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back