PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Happens When Restricted Free Agent Doesn't Sign The Tender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChessToCheckers

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Been searching the web on this question and still don't know what scenarios can happen.

If an RFA doesn't sign a tender, what are the consequences for the player and the team? Who has the leverage?

I thought I'd ask the good and knowledgeable folks on this board to illuminate!

Thanks in advance.

If he holds out the year, he will be in the same position next offseason and a year older.

nothing happens.......the clock stops

If he holds out the year, he will be in the same position next offseason and a year older.
and broke. i am pretty sure they can fine him more then the 4 million he would make if he holds out a full year

and broke. i am pretty sure they can fine him more then the 4 million he would make if he holds out a full year
You can't fine a player who is not under contract. If he doesn't sign it, it just tolls to the next year and he will find himself in the same spot again.

The team has more leverage, but it's bad for both sides. The player can't sign with any other team during that year. If he sits out the year, the team can tender him again in the next year with a right of first refusal.

If he doesn't sign his tender, the team holds his rights in perpetude and he doesn't accrue another year of his tenure. So if Butler sits out this year and doesn't sign his tender, he is a RFA next year. He can sit out the first ten games and then sign for the last six to accrue another year and become an UFA next year.

On the players end, if he doesn't sign the tender he cannot be traded by his current team.

Does a restricted FA need to sign by a certain date to have the year count; can they hold out like Logan Mankins did under the Franchise tag?

Related because this is about Butler, but I have seen posts that we can not trade Butler if he is not signed. Is this true? and if it is true we can not trade him unless he has signed the RFA would a trade with an extension first need a contract written by the Patriots that is then traded? This would hamstring the type of contract that can be made.

So basically he should sign if he wants to go get paid next year, if not he gonna be stuck here another year.

Does a restricted FA need to sign by a certain date to have the year count; can they hold out like Logan Mankins did under the Franchise tag?

Related because this is about Butler, but I have seen posts that we can not trade Butler if he is not signed. Is this true? and if it is true we can not trade him unless he has signed the RFA would a trade with an extension first need a contract written by the Patriots that is then traded? This would hamstring the type of contract that can be made.
As I understand it Restricted Free Agents have until June 1 to sign that tender.

If Butler (or any RFA) does not sign the tender then they cannot be traded.

If he doesn't sign his tender, the team holds his rights in perpetude and he doesn't accrue another year of his tenure. So if Butler sits out this year and doesn't sign his tender, he is a RFA next year. He can sit out the first ten games and then sign for the last six to accrue another year and become an UFA next year.

This would not be the worst thing in the world. We get him for 6 games and the playoff run. That is really what matters the most.

Thanks, I do know how to search, but it is not always easy to find specific answers.

If a player signs a rfa tender and is then traded, can the new team tear it up and sign an extension? I thought you had to wait a year between contracts, but not real knowledge.

Recall the Mankins situation - I think this was similar.
Mankins held out until around the first of November, and then returned in time to get credit for the season.
Pretty similar situation - under a different CBA.
The two-time Pro Bowl left guard ended his holdout by accepting a $1.54 million tender offer Monday. He had been a restricted free agent once his original five-year contract expired after last season and stayed away when he failed to get an extension.
LG Mankins practices after ending long holdout
As a restricted free agent, he cannot sign with any other team. Until he signs the tender, he is still under the terms of his contract from the prior season. He can hold out and make no money, basically to prove he is willing to do it.
If he holds out all season - or returns after the date at which he gains credit for the season - he does not become a free agent.

Thanks, I do know how to search, but it is not always easy to find specific answers.

If a player signs a rfa tender and is then traded, can the new team tear it up and sign an extension? I thought you had to wait a year between contracts, but not real knowledge.
My understanding is that yes, a new contract can be signed - regardless of if the player stays or is traded. If I'm not mistaken it has to do with wording of being 'tendered' and 'offered' as opposed to signing a typical contract.

Also, if the RFA doesn't sign the tender after a particular date (I believe the June date mentioned above) the team has the unilateral option to lower the tender salary significantly (I think down to something close to the minimum salary).

It's starting to look this one will sit and watch a team win another sb

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey