PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Restricted Free Agency Exists for a Reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It exists so that players must have demonstrated a quality level of play for at least 4 years NOT 3, so that teams will have a minimum body of evidence to base giving out huge contracts to the player at the time they reach free agency.

So to those who say Butler deserves more money NOW, technically he does not. Players did agree to the current system

If players want dollars beyond what their RFA tender allows for (3.9 million in Butler's case) and they do not want to wait another year until hit UFA, they either have to take a bit of a discount on the long term deal (see Chris Harris and Broncos) or arrange for another team to sign to an offer sheet.

I really believe that a compromise should be possible!!!
I do not thing MB deserves Gilmore $ yet because he is not an UFA. So if he wants security the deal should be between the tender amount 3.9/1 year and Gilmore's huge deal. However Gilmore is being paid to be a #1 CB.

Harris 3 years ago got 8mill/year and 25 guaranteed for a 4 year extension.
Hopefully reasonable heads will prevail. I hope Butler will consider

10 Million/year for 4 years with 35 guaranteed and 15 million signing bonus

Isn't that enough??????

RFA exists because otherwise the CBA would give an advantage to UDFAs over drafted players by allowing UDFAs to get fair market value for their services sooner.

RFA exists because otherwise the CBA would give an advantage to UDFAs over drafted players by allowing UDFAs to get fair market value for their services sooner.

I thought UDFA's are ERFA where they have even less leverage

Unfortunately sometimes emotion comes into play and the fact that Butler's agent has made the battle public (whether you agree with it or not) does not bode well for a peaceful reconciliation.

Unfortunately sometimes emotion comes into play and the fact that Butler's agent has made the battle public (whether you agree with it or not) does not bode well for a peaceful reconciliation.

You never know. Hell, Mankins called Kraft a liar and Ty Law called BB one too.

ERFAs have less than 3 years of service time and are forced to sign with their old team - no other choice (i.e., Justin Coleman). RFAs have 3 years of service time, are tendered and can sign with another team if the old team does not match the potential new team's contract with the player and the potential new team sends a draft pick to the old team (Butler). The draft pick corresponds to the contract salary tendered by the old team. Both types are UDFAs.

You never know. Hell, Mankins called Kraft a liar and Ty Law called BB one too.

I don't remember those but I don't doubt they are true. While they still have ability to move forward it certainly doesn't help things. I'm hoping with Butler that it's one of those times where they can come to an agreement.

All Butler has to do is continue to play at a high level this coming season and he will either get tagged, guaranteeing him 21 million over the two seasons, or govfree agent and get somewhere in the ballpark of Gilmore's deal, so he makes well over 50 million dollars. And he could have had more now but passed on it for the shot at bigger money. I honestly don't think Butler has a valid b.tch on this, and if they gave his agent the opportunity to go find a deal they have done their part imo.

If professional scouts cant figure out kids with 3 years of college play and 3 pro years can play or not than why should the player be penalized for it.

Well his agent doesn't need the go-ahead, he's a FA (albeit restricted), any team can talk to his agent. Personally, I'd see that kid who blew out his Achilles or the 100 other players who get hurt every season and take my 10 million now instead of maybe getting paid more next year.

If professional scouts cant figure out kids with 3 years of college play and 3 pro years can play or not than why should the player be penalized for it.

They aren't penalized. Their union negotiated it. Why should a 2nd round pick have to wait until 4 years to become an FA and un-drafted kids gets to it at 3?

It exists so that players must have demonstrated a quality level of play for at least 4 years NOT 3, so that teams will have a minimum body of evidence to base giving out huge contracts to the player at the time they reach free agency.

No, it exists for the same reason that ERFA exists. It exists so owners can keep costs down, at the expense of lower round players. It's the lower round version of a top player's option year. It's just a harsher option for UDFAs and those drafted in lower rounds.

They aren't penalized. Their union negotiated it. Why should a 2nd round pick have to wait until 4 years to become an FA and un-drafted kids gets to it at 3?

The same reason a u drafted free agent can pick his destination as opposed to being picked for him.

The reality is he's gonna get the money he wants and he's gonna get it this year because he put up a fuss

The same reason a u drafted free agent can pick his destination as opposed to being picked for him.

The reality is he's gonna get the money he wants and he's gonna get it this year because he put up a fuss

lol, not from the Pats he isn't. If he thinks he's getting Gilmore money this year, he's delusional.

lol, not from the Pats he isn't. If he thinks he's getting Gilmore money this year, he's delusional.

Do you really think butler is gonna be butt hurt to get paid 14 mil next year (if he does) playing for whatever **** team you can name as opposed to playing for under 4 here?

I'm sure he can live with it

You can play semantics about the word "penalized", but it's all easily understood in the end. In CBA negotiations, owners wanted/needed cost controls. Those cost controls limit the earning power of players. Some of those controls are harsher than others. Because of the way the system is set up, lower drafted players and UDFAs get screwed. They get lower money off the bat, and they are then held to smaller money on their early extension opportunities.

You can play semantics about the word "penalized", but it's all easily understood in the end. In CBA negotiations, owners wanted/needed cost controls. Those cost controls limit the earning power of players. Some of those controls are harsher than others. Because of the way the system is set up, lower drafted players and UDFAs get screwed. They get lower money off the bat, and they are then held to smaller money on their early extension opportunities.

Depends on how you define lower drafted players. Butler's only entering his fourth year. If he'd been drafted he'd most likely be going into the last year of his rookie deal, and even as a middle round pick he'd earn less through four years than he will if he plays this year on the RFA tender.

Yeah...I don't know some of the details of all this as well as some of you, but I don't think a player has too much of a right to complain if they've outperformed their draft level (or lack thereof if undrafted). This is how the system works as negotiated. Players don't get a huge second contract before their rookie contract is done no matter how well they've done relative to expectations. Whether you think that's fair is a different question, but IIWII.

If you want a bump in salary and a guarantee in case of injury, do what Gronk did and take a deal that gives you less $ and more years of team control. If you want to bet on not getting injured and continuing to perform at a high level in exchange for getting that big payday earlier, then sign the RFA tender (for a not-insignificant ~4 million) and play it out until you're a UFA.

Butler's agent doesn't seem to understand this (again, I haven't been reading this too closely) and is blowing things up between Butler and the team and maybe the fans. I haven't heard anything straight from Butler that makes him sound greedy, but I have heard it from his agent and 'sources.' It would be a shame if we traded this guy away because his agent didn't know what he was doing. I really want to see the secondary next year as presently constructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots