PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What did people think of Andrew Luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kid's pretty chubby. He's also got as many INTs as TDs hahaha. RG3 is & will be better.

I love RG3 too but once again, 1st year phenoms fade more often than they blossom. Despite the odds I think RG3 & Luck are playas. But just to what level we can't say.

But think of this, before the 2020s when Brady, Manning and Rogers are retired, SOMEBODY has to be in the top 5 elite QB class!

That is a major point.

I wonder though did BB decide to make that change and take the risk this game because he was facing a rookie, however talented, relying on possible cognitive dissonance from studying film that was nothing like he was facing that day on the field at full NFL speed under duress? Will we revert to SOP against the Jests?

Hard to say. I would like to think he made that change because the two corners were Talib and Dennard. They're guys that excel in press and not so much in zone. Also, it's becoming obvious that McCourty is becoming more comfortable in his role as a safety vs. the pass and Gregory is back. He probably felt more comfortable playing straight press man coverage across the board. When you can do that and get away with it (which the Patriots did), it frees you up to use your more exotic blitz packages. Health permitting, I think we'll see the same thing Thursday night. Whether the results will be similar or won't be, I don't know at this point.

Hard to say. I would like to think he made that change because the two corners were Talib and Dennard. They're guys that excel in press and not so much in zone. Also, it's becoming obvious that McCourty is becoming more comfortable in his role as a safety vs. the pass and Gregory is back. He probably felt more comfortable playing straight press man coverage across the board. When you can do that and get away with it (which the Patriots did), it frees you up to use your more exotic blitz packages. Health permitting, I think we'll see the same thing Thursday night. Whether the results will be similar or won't be, I don't know at this point.

'frees you up to use more exotic blitz packages': I counted for sure 2 cb blitzes (and might have been 3?) which is more than I recall in about 3 previous games combined. So Amen to that brother.

'see the same thing Thurs': "Your lips to God(in the gray hoodie)'s ear!!!"

I do not want to have to deal with this guy for the next 15 years.

Yes, he made some mistakes (and our D induced some), and some players peak in their 1st or 2nd year. But if this is where he is 1/2 way into his rookie year, there's a lot of upside. Compare Joey Harrington, Eric Couch, David Carr, etc who also went on teams that were in last place for a reason.

That strong throw while being pulled down from behind, and that 2nd TD pass -- wow.

Definitely looks legit. We shall see though many QB's have shown flashes early on, few of course had the talent/hype surrounding Luck.

Dealing with him will be fine though, we've dealt with the likes of Peyton and Big Ben just fine when we've had the capable defenses. The only QB that still scares me is Brees we've yet to so much as slow him down in a game. And we've yet to face Rodgers.

If anything, this is good news in case the Texans continue their successes of this year and past. Division won't be a cakewalk upcoming seasons and HOPEFULLY the Colts could split their games this year.

Last edited:
Luck looks like he'll be very, very good in just another year or two. If I was a Colt's fan, I'd feel like a kid on Christmas eve, looking forward to 2013.

Whether it's Mallett or someone else, I hope The Pats can get their Heir to Brady in the next 1-2 years allowing him a year or two to learn from THE man!

That's why the Pats demanded a 7th round pick back in the Talib trade. They already have Brady's successor all picked out.

A shutdown corner and a future HOF QB, all for the cost of a late 4th round pick....

:rocker:

In all seriousness, Luck is the best QB prospect that I recall seeing in college.

Last edited:
I think with Luck and RGIII the NFL has two prime candidates for a great generation of new QB's to replace Manning/Brady/Brees as they age. Time will tell though. 1st round QB's are a very interesting breed - the hype and expectations surriounding them lead to boom or bust labels with very little gray area in between (aside from Alex Smith).

Both Indy and Washington are heavily invested in these 2 QB's - given the level of success each QB has had thus far, you know both franchises will be in it for the long haul with each of them - which I'd say increases the probability of them being successful by a significant margin. They each just have to have good luck with health.

I think with Luck and RGIII the NFL has two prime candidates for a great generation of new QB's to replace Manning/Brady/Brees as they age. Time will tell though. 1st round QB's are a very interesting breed - the hype and expectations surriounding them lead to boom or bust labels with very little gray area in between (aside from Alex Smith).

Both Indy and Washington are heavily invested in these 2 QB's - given the level of success each QB has had thus far, you know both franchises will be in it for the long haul with each of them - which I'd say increases the probability of them being successful by a significant margin. They each just have to have good luck with health.

Out of the two, I think RGIII is more apt to fall off or have a sophomore slump. A lot of the throws that he's making (particularly his downfield throws) are in heavy, heavy traffic. He's either been lucky that the ball has fallen to his receiver (see Santana Moss play from last week) or his receiver has bailed him out. He's still a very good QB, so don't get me wrong there. But his luck in regard to those types of throws will run out eventually.

Seriously, I don't think even we will fully appreciate how great TB really is until we are left trying to replace him or even trying to get somebody that can be a legit QB for a team that wants to compete for championships.

Right now there are not more than 5 or 6 of these guys playing in the NFL. None of them are as good as TB. As much as anything, I would want the Pats to win two more SB's just to cement TB's place in history. Burns me up no end that we lost the last two we were in, especially the way we lost them. I guess I can chalk them up to "sometimes you skin the bear and sometimes the bear skins you". You almost always get two really good teams, really well prepared playing for the SB. Things are not going to fall your way every time. Probably the only "pretender" we played in the SB run was the Rams. We beat them to a pulp and exposed that vaunted receiver corp for what it was....bunch a' alligator arms. Boy that was a great Pats team.

If we had just even won one of the Giant's SB's I would feel much better about things,

Out of the two, I think RGIII is more apt to fall off or have a sophomore slump. A lot of the throws that he's making (particularly his downfield throws) are in heavy, heavy traffic. He's either been lucky that the ball has fallen to his receiver (see Santana Moss play from last week) or his receiver has bailed him out. He's still a very good QB, so don't get me wrong there. But his luck in regard to those types of throws will run out eventually.

Yesterday on the Lavar & Dukes show, Lavar Arrington was going on and on about how RG3 holds on to the ball way too long and is developing the bad habit of relying on his legs. He said they are not focusing on developing him as a pocket passer, which is what they are doing with Luck. So like Cam Newton, he is more likely to set the world on fire in year one and by year two, when everyone kind of figures him out, he'll have a slump unless he can figure out how to develop as a passing QB.

Last edited:
Yesterday on the Lavar & Dukes show, Lavar Arrington was going on and on about how RG3 holds on to the ball way too long and is developing the bad habit of relying on his legs. He said they are not focusing on developing him as a pocket passer, which is what they are doing with Luck. So like Cam Newton, he is more likely to set the world on fire in year one and by year two, when everyone kind of figures him out, he'll have a slump unless he can figure out how to develop as a passing QB.

I'm no NFL historian, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a run-first QB in the modern era that has had consistent success. Sure, there have been some great QB's that were also great runners (Elway comes to mind), but they have always been good passers first, and use their legs as an extra weapon when things break down.

Vick, McNabb, Newton... all start great, but eventually fade due to poor passing skills or a breakdown in durability.

Everybody keeps saying how awesome he is but i'm not blown away by him to be honest and i've seen a few of their games this year.

He is playing up to his draft status but this guy is hardly some sure fire HOFer that he was hyped up to be in the draft.

This guy is like every other rookie, if he wants to be the best he has a ****load of work to do and it showed vs the 199th pick.

Yeah I honestly have formed my impression of RGIII from reading ball-washy type articles about how good his intangibles are and how intelligent he is. I haven't watched much Redskins football.

The other thing to mention is that the folks in Miami think their QB of the future was picked this year too, in Tannehill. It'll be very interesting to see how he plays against the Patriots 2x in the upcoming weeks.

The last time 3 QB's picked in the 1st round had lasting success was 2004 w/ Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger. Matt Schaub was also picked in the 3rd round of that draft. Last year, with Newton, Locker, Ponder, Dalton, (and, why not?, Kaepernick) may produce 3 decent QB's out of that group - but that's as high up in the air as thinking any of this year's rookie QB's will be a franchise guy 8 years from now.

Last edited:
I don't think Rivers will ever show enough maturity to be a SB QB. I suppose he is happy doing what he is doing but he isn't goin' anywhere. I have to grudgingly admit that Eli really has impressed me as a guy that can really elevate his game when he has to. That is a great quality cause I get the impression that opposing teams are not prepared for what he brings to the table in big games.....how can you prepare for him under the circumstances. Big Ben impresses me almost as much with his toughness although he is something of a drama queen...the Nick Swisher of football in that regard. Ben can make some terrible decisions in big situations though...he sorta' has a Favre streak in him. Of the three of them Eli would be the only one I would want and actually pursue if I was looking for a guy.

Luck may be the real deal...to early to tell. In Payton Mannings early years, he was sorta' like Luck in that as great as was, he still needed to mature some in order to really see what he had.

How do you explain a Tom Brady. The guy seemed to be a finished product from the moment he stepped on the field. How the heck does that happen?

Kid's pretty chubby. He's also got as many INTs as TDs hahaha. RG3 is & will be better.

Luck will be challenging for titles long after RG3 is out of the league.

The other thing to mention is that the folks in Miami think their QB of the future was picked this year too, in Tannehill. It'll be very interesting to see how he plays against the Patriots 2x in the upcoming weeks.

T

I was a big Tannehill fan last draft. Things suck for him though - he was let down by his receivers in his final year at TAMU who seemed to drop every other pass he threw and now he's gone to a team with arguably the worst receiving corps in the NFL.

Last edited:
Luck will be challenging for titles long after RG3 is out of the league.

Agreed. I like RG3, but he will likely go the way of Michael Vick if he keeps running the ball the way he is. Injured, injured more, slower as a result of injuries and then out of the NFL.

He's going to be good when he grows up ;)

Kid is pretty damn good. I only caught one other game with him playing and he was running the no huddle in what, his 4th or 5th game? Very reminiscent of Manning. Still going to make a lot of rookie mistakes. RG3 looks good too but I just get this feeling that RG3 still has the training wheels on. Flashy player but if I had to start one of the two, I'd choose Luck. Weeden and Tannehill have looked good at times too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents