PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What did people think of Andrew Luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone remember how Luck was criticized, pre-draft, by guys like Boomer Esiason, for being too conservative in a dink-and-dunk fashion. Huh? Luck was, if anything, a total gunslinger last night. He should probably take less risks with the ball; be a bit more conservative. I'm sure he'll learn with age. But he looked good.

Oh, but after Talib's pick-6, I though Luck look a bit flustered. Like, too amped; as if his pulse was beating too quick. Trying to over-compensate. He had a fair amount of badly inaccurate throws, to open receivers, afterwards. Oh, including Dennard's INT.

I think he looked great until the defense settled in. After that, he looked like an overmatched rookie.

Luck looks like he'll be very, very good in just another year or two. If I was a Colt's fan, I'd feel like a kid on Christmas eve, looking forward to 2013.

Whether it's Mallett or someone else, I hope The Pats can get their Heir to Brady in the next 1-2 years allowing him a year or two to learn from THE man!

Don't forget that that offense also has two rookie WR's, two rookie TE's and a rookie RB all playing significant parts. Oh yes, his blind side is protected by a one year vet too. Sure he's got Reggie Wayne but he's not getting a great deal of help experience wise on that offense.

He looked great for a rookie but still has a ways to go. His next year is the big one.

He's looking good but I'm saying that from seeing him in other games this year. But yesterday, honestly, I was too busy paying attention to our offense, defense and special teams demolishing them to even pay attention. Yesterday I would have said Andrew Luck who? If you told me his name was Blaine Gabbert I would have believed you because any QB on the other side would have looked completely inept if those were the results.

Having said that, I think this game will serve as great experience to him which will no doubt help by the time he plays Houston. They have them twice late this year, so once he digests this tape against us, and the tape of what the Jaguars did to the Texans, I think he has enough talent to end up helping us out a bit and deal Huston at least one L.

And if he manages to do that...well then Andrew Luck is the best rookie QB EVAH! ;)

Last edited:
Luck showed a lot of moxie and resilience under fire, and kept coming back for more. He made a lot of throws into very tight windows. But it was also predictable that when you make that many tough throws into tight coverage that you're going to toss some interceptions, and I expected him to throw 2-3 INTs based on what I saw early on. It could have been more. With experience he'll learn not to force things so much. No doubt he'll be terrific once he develops and matures, but he's a little over-hyped right now. And I've been a fan of his for years.

That goes back to the weapons argument. His stable of RB's are serviceable at best, his best weapon is an aging veteran, his second best being a speedy rookie that's still learning the game, and his third being his binky TE from college that was out of the line-up for the game. Hilton will mature and Fleener will be back. Give him another weapon or two in the passing game so he doesn't have to throw into windows that tight (remember the game plan was specifically to take Wayne away), and you'll see immediate improvement. But it won't come this year.

He looked pretty good in the first few series...but then every QB looks good against the Pats. Then the punt return and the pick six and he started to have that shell shocked look about him. Making some good plays, but then making mistakes. I am curious to see how he and the Colts hold up down the stretch. They have a shot at the playoffs, can they hold on?

Luck: 12 TDs 12 INTs 77.7QBR 6-4.

Wilson: 15 TDs 8 INTs 90QBR 6-4.

Luck has made some great throws, but is being overrated IMO. I will argue anyone that my binky Russell Wilson has played just as good as RGIII and Luck. :D We'll see which of the three ends up in the playoffs too. ;)

Last edited:
The kid is Great as pointed out he looks like a Peyton/Ben Roth Hybrid...you cant Teach what this kid's got. On that play when he was going to sack and reloaded with the Defender hanging all over him was thing of beauty.:eek: The Kid is strong too..cannot blame the Colts for parting ways with Peyton Manning. Like Manning QB's like Andrew Luck dont grow on trees.

Luck has made some great throws, but is being overrated IMO. I will argue anyone that my binky Russell Wilson has played just as good as RGIII and Luck. :D We'll see which of the three ends up in the playoffs too. ;)

I wonder what those figures would look like if Luck had Beast Mode forcing other teams to stack the box against him. Wilson has done well but I think it's a stretch to compare him to Luck.

Russel Wilson has played very well, but he's got a great defense and a great running game. The Colts live and die by the play of Luck, Wilson is a complimentary piece. It's absolutely unfair to compare both players solely on stats and team record.

He put on his best Jay Cutler impression yesterday, forcing throws into coverage. It led to some "great throws" but also led to 3 interceptions including 2 pix sixes and could easily have had double the interceptions.

In terms of traditional numbers it appears that way but there's more to it than NFL passer rating. For example Luck also has 5 rushing touchdowns with 0 rushing fumbles which don't show in those passing numbers versus 0 for Wilson. Wilson plays a more conservative game and the help he gets from his defense is 2nd to none. He also got some amazing help from the replacement officials early in the season to start off his career;)

The Colts on the other hand were awful last year on pretty much all sides of the ball. The Colts defense has been mediocre years prior to last year. And even Seattle has a better receiving duo than the Colts. Colts have Reggie and that's about it right now.

RG3 on the other hand? Sure. I think he's playing incredible and his efficiency is already at an elite level. RG3 had a perfect passer rating yesterday and threw 4TD's passes. There's really nothing to take away from a performance like that, other than perhaps to point out he only attempted 15 passes.

Not the case with Luck but he's also being asked to play a harder offense. Yesterday for example he attempted 50 passes. Luck's training wheels have been off all season. He gets little rushing help and they are not using his rushing as much as the other teams are for their dual rush QB's. They insist on Luck staying in the pocket. And if you look at more modern stats, which you should especially for dual rush QB"s, before this weekend Luck's Total QBR rating is #3 in the NFL with a 75.6 2nd only to Brady and Manning. RG3 is up there too at #8, but Russel Wilson is 18th with a 56.1.

Luck's averaging 40 passes per game and still manages a respectable 2.9% Int %. When he settles into a more reasonable 28-30 attempts per game once they put some more help around him, or his rookie receivers get some more experience, I believe his efficiency will increase.

So I say, wait and see but I don't believe at all Wilson is anywhere near Luck in terms of what they are doing for their teams this year, other than W-L's. Luck's carrying a larger burden while Wilson is more of a game manager. I really do feel Luck's mirroring Peyton's rookie year, where he is being allowed to throw the ball a bunch of times and learn the ropes, make the mistakes, except somehow he is still winning.

Last edited:
I never thought I'd say this about a QB who was picked thrice and fumbled the ball away, but I was very impressed with Luck. He reminded me of John Elway.

Obviously a good quarterback with a bright future, but also a bit overrated. It's not his fault though, the media is just really overhyping him.

I never thought I'd say this about a QB who was picked thrice and fumbled the ball away, but I was very impressed with Luck. He reminded me of John Elway.

Agreed, I thought he was very impressive. He made some good plays, and you can see why people are hyping him. A very intense young guy, very fiery. Has good escapability as well. I think the Colts 2012 might go down as one of the best in recent memories. They took several of my binkies in the draft. I was very high on T.Y. Hilton, and for once, I was right, lol, the guy looks like a fine wide receiver. I really liked Coby Fleener, and they were smart to take Dwayne Allen, they are smartly trying to follow the Pat's recipe to success using two athletic TE's. RB Vic Ballard was a great pick in the 5th round. WR Lavon Brazill seems like another steal in the 6th round. They totally rebuilt their offense with this draft, add a resigning of Reggie Wayne, and they sure look like an up and coming team, lead by a great young QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luck: 12 TDs 12 INTs 77.2 RAT
Sanchez: 11 TDs 9 INTs 73.4 RAT

Can we all agree that Luck has better offensive weapons than Sanchez or no? Sanchez has a better running back but I think Luck has better receivers.

Agreed, I thought he was very impressive. He made some good plays, and you can see why people are hyping him. A very intense young guy, very fiery. Has good escapability as well. I think the Colts 2012 might go down as one of the best in recent memories. They took several of my binkies in the draft. I was very high on T.Y. Hilton, and for once, I was right, lol, the guy looks like a fine wide receiver. I really liked Coby Fleener, and they were smart to take Dwayne Allen, they are smartly trying to follow the Pat's recipe to success using two athletic TE's. RB Vic Ballard was a great pick in the 5th round. WR Lavon Brazill seems like another steal in the 6th round. They totally rebuilt their offense with this draft, add a resigning of Reggie Wayne, and they sure look like an up and coming team, lead by a great young QB.

It was a good draft, but bear in mind, they only have three picks heading in to this draft before compensatories.

Luck: 12 TDs 12 INTs 77.2 RAT
Sanchez: 11 TDs 9 INTs 73.4 RAT

Can we all agree that Luck has better offensive weapons than Sanchez or no? Sanchez has a better running back but I think Luck has better receivers.

I'm just not buying the Luck hype, yet. Lot of boneheaded throws from him this year. Luck doesn't have much, but he has Reggie Wayne and a decent offensive line.

Meanwhile, Wilson has a shaky O-line (RT is a turnstile), and not exactly a good weapons core. Lynch is having his best year and his ypc is way up from his career average; thats partly due to Wilson being QB instead of stiffs like JP Losman and Tarvaris Jackson IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick