PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Can the Patriots Realistically Expect From Demaryius Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think me, Thomas and Gordon will have the same amount of receptions next year, zero!

I think we should expect around 55 catches, 700 yards and six touchdowns. Maybe a bit less. Anyone know weather this guy can do that weird block that gronk always did? Making just like a half second more time? That was critical on many run plays

I think we should expect around 55 catches, 700 yards and six touchdowns. Maybe a bit less. Anyone know weather this guy can do that weird block that gronk always did? Making just like a half second more time? That was critical on many run plays

This is where I am at too.... 55/700/6 on about 75 targets. I see him as a big bodied #2 who can do what Hogan didn't do last year.

We still need more WR talent though....and I think Bruce Ellington will surprise though.....

It’s unfair to him? Not sure how one correlates to the other. He could be the nicest guy in the world but there’s no way in hell any team could count on him.

It's unfair to assume that Gordon cannot change his behavior.

It's unlikely Gordon can be counted on -- I agree with that sentiment. That does not mean that Gordon cannot (with 100% certainty) be counted on.

From the team's perspective, and us as fans, we can claim that Gordon cannot be counted on when constructing the roster, and I understand and agree with that sentiment.

Just want to reiterate that addiction is an incredibly hard thing to overcome. Although it's hard to overcome does not mean it's impossible. I'm rooting really hard for Gordon to recover, regardless of whether his recovery has any positive, tangible impact on the field for the Patriots.

Hogan is not even 70% the player DT still was with the Texans. He is a better route runner, has a bigger catch radius, better hands and can use his body more decisively when it comes to contested catches.

This downplaying DTs abilities and others calling him soft even though nobody can point out what that specifically means is getting silly.

Yes, the achilles is a risk hence the favorable contract. But if he can get through that he will be a very productive player.

I think the soft label comes from watching a Patriots Bronco game a few years back and DT dropped a pass when heard D McCourty's footsteps.

I'll try to find it if I can find some time although I suspect you know which play I'm referring to.

IIRC, he's done that on more than one occasion. But you're right, calling him soft is off target.

I think the soft label comes from watching a Patriots Bronco game a few years back and DT dropped a pass when heard D McCourty's footsteps.

I'll try to find it if I can find some time although I suspect you know which play I'm referring to.

IIRC, he's done that on more than one occasion. But you're right, calling him soft is off target.

I hope you're not thinking of this one, because this was a huge hit. I don't think he was just hearing footsteps on this play. I was legitimately worried because of where he hit Thomas in the back. Great defensive play.

I hope you're not thinking of this one, because this was a huge hit. I don't think he was just hearing footsteps on this play. I was legitimately worried because of where he hit Thomas in the back. Great defensive play.

That's the one. Soft as Charmin. :D

Just kidding. You're right. That was a great defensive play. I mis-remembered it.

See SB 48..

The only one I remember was the hard check DMac gave him in 2016 that caused him to drop a ball (on fourth down ?) at the sideline and took the last breath out of the Broncos.

But even if there are multiple instances. We are talking about less than 1% of plays in this entire career. Someone who has consistently put up 1000+ yard seasons and has also done a lot of his damage in the MOF is definitely not "soft".

I get your point and I am not arguing with you Tony but the thought of labeling players soft that now and then drop a ball due to contact is just silly. At least to me.

EDIT: nvm @reamer posted the exact play I was thinking of.

Last edited:
See SB 48..

And the Titans and Lions physically dominated us last year. Does that mean our team was soft based on those 2 games ? What exactly about his performance in the SB made him appear soft ?

I absolutely sincerely would love to understand this narrative better and see if I am missing some bigger pattern. No meant as a dig or anything at you.

Curious why a deal for Amendola couldn’t get done at a similar salary.

Pats were fortunate there, because he was wide open for the 1st down and then some.
A tougher WR would've kept possession regardless of the hit he absorbed.

Amendola is not coming off a significant injury, and I expect he wouldn't be willing to accept an offer similar to the one Thomas received. I suspect it comes down to demand; if there was a superior offer on-the-table for Thomas he likely would've taken it. I guess Amendola simply had a stronger market with better offers than Thomas did.

I also don't get the sense that Amendola particularly wants to be here. It feels like some bridges were burned (in Amendola's eyes) following his departure. Also, with all the time he and Culpo spent together in the NE-area (and them now being separated), he may be seeking a change of scenery.

Pats were fortunate there, because he was wide open for the 1st down and then some.
A tougher WR would've kept possession regardless of the hit he absorbed.

I tend to agree, although that was quite the hit. Hard to know how another receiver would've handled such a hit to the back, but I suspect there are certain receivers who would've been able to maintain possession of the pass.

Not yet discussed but I think that was a poor pass regarding timing. Seemed a bit late on the throw, which gave DMC time to recover and make the hit.

The pretzels people will twist themselves into to praise a guy who may not even make the team are crazy.

Because Amendola is worth less to the Patriots than to other teams. We already know at what level BB values Dola in his specific role: 1.7-2m APY as evidenced by his deals in 2015, 2016 and 2017.

He made more money in one year with Miami than in those 3 years in NE and will make only a million less this year (4.4m) in Detroit than in those 3 years.

The answer is right there. To be worth more money he would need a bigger role which exposes someone who had consistently battled with injuries to more risk.

The pretzels people will twist themselves into to praise a guy who may not even make the team are crazy.
they are more like patriots cult members than fans lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes