PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are we getting with Stidham as the starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know. We don't know whether he is better than Hoyer. We'll get a better idea of what Belichick's thinks by looking at the next QB he brings in.

He was good enough that the Patriots were OK with paying Hoyer $1.5M not to play for them.

Can you elaborate on that ? I am not disagreeing at all but curious what you mean by misused.

"We recruited him when he left Baylor, and we kept telling him he can't go to the SEC and play at Auburn or Florida," one Big 12 coach told Bleacher Report. "Neither one of those teams had any recent history of throwing the ball with any kind of efficiency. Our pitch was simple: You'll be a first-round pick in the NFL here in this offense. You're going to get lost there."

Basically, they tried to shoehorn him into Cam Newton's offense rather than take advantage of his ability to read defenses.

Why Jarrett Stidham's Auburn Tape Can Barely Be Used to Project His Success as Patriots' Starter

What does that even mean ?

Brady played according to an offense designed by BB and the various OCs throughout the years. Yeah, things got tailored to his strengths while potential plays that he didn't excel in were removed. As has been happening with every role on the Pats roster.

And the same will happen with whoever his successor will end up being.

The offense and its fundamentals will remain mostly the same but the play sheet will fit the strengths of that next QB more. Maybe that means more bootlegs, maybe that means more RPOs or maybe it will stay eerily similar to the Brady offense. We shall find out.

The basic offensive system came from Erhardt and Perkins and Weis really modernized it for the Pats. Ever since then, there have been a MILLION tweaks made to the system to suit Brady's strengths which, IMO, is his pre-snap read/decision making/quick release. Ever since we have had Brady as the starter...we have ensured that we have a good line, good running backs, and veteran receivers who can get on the same page with Brady. IOW, we added to the system...with Brady being the system.

Now we have Stidham who can beat Brady in a foot race....meaning we can do different things and because of a lack of tape on Stidham...we can be partly unpredictable.

Yes, we maximize everything for every player....but with Brady...we built the offense around him every year....it is like us replacing an engine in a car with a cheaper one....and having money left over to get upgraded tires....etc...

Been watching Stidham's instagram page. This guy doesn't eat like Brady at all. This morning it was Chicken and Waffles. No weird stuff. :D

Last edited:
I know he's not Brady but he doesn't necessarily have to be. I watched some of the 2017 auburn film and when he had a decent o line and was allowed to air it out, he could improvise with his legs and make some big time throws. In 2018, he would panic in the pocket and overthrow recievers, also took a lot more sacks due to a sub par o line. I also think Auburns offense was more simplified the second year which hurt his ability to make the big throws. I think we should follow the 2001 model and rely on the veterans we have playing on defense to set up short fields and not ask stidham to do too much.

What are we getting? One of the 32 best starting QB's in the NFL, perhaps.

Don't expect Brady. Lets be patient. The schedule next year, even if we had Brady and all these same offensive weapons, would be very tough.

Apparently Pats are going high in draft for QB. Sounds like they have no faith in Stidham.

Brady’s last 8 games
163/295 55.3% 1730 yards 5.86 ypa 10 td 4 int QB rating < 80

Offense rushed for 120.6 per game
4 wins 4 losses
Points scored 163 (1 td by defense pick 6)
Points against 147 ( 2 tds by defense pick 6)

Last edited:
Tua honestly scares me a bit. He’s had several nasty ankle sprains and the horrific hip injury that was similiar to Bo Jackson could be a factor. Great player but a lot of question marks....

Stidham has a lot of potential. He was misused at Baylor and Auburn, so I wouldn't rely on his college tape. One scout reportedly said this on Stidham: "How the f--k do they always do this? Kid falls right into their laps and looks like the second coming. It's like Bill and Josh undid all the damage Auburn did to him." I'd be shocked if the Pats draft a QB in round 1 unless Tua starts to slip...

Apparently Pats are going high in draft for QB. Sounds like they have no faith in Stidham.
Since when has ANYONE been able to predict a Belichick draft!?!?!

Tua honestly scares me a bit. He’s had several nasty ankle sprains and the horrific hip injury that was similiar to Bo Jackson could be a factor. Great player but a lot of question marks....

That's the thing - you draft him and you potentially get the next Drew Brees. You don't and you'll be kicking yourself. I'm sure Bill will have or had a nice discussion with Nick Saban about Tua, including his durability....

Been watching Stidham's instagram page. This guy doesn't eat like Brady at all. This morning it was Chicken and Waffles. No weird stuff. :D

I noticed the same thing. At first, I was thinking about how unhealthy it is, but then I remembered he eats like the rest of us.

It's weird for our QB to be that guy...a normal guy...now lol

Since when has ANYONE been able to predict a Belichick draft!?!?!

I gave up even talking about the draft after 2010. Seemed like a majority of the board was apoplectic over the picks...how wrong they turned out to be. Even the murderer provided about three seasons of stellar play.

It's going to be wild to see whether we're good this year, if they play this year.

That's the only way I can put it. Whoever's QB. This not having Brady thing is confusing right now LOL.

I think the draft will tell us what to expect. If Belichick doesn’t draft a speed receiver and a TE (or 2), then JS4 will have to depend on Edelman/Harry/Meyers/Sanu at WR, LaCosse at TE and James White at RB. He will have to get a great running game from Michel & Burkhead as well as hopefully some production from Damien Harris.

I’m hoping (praying really) that Belichick does for the offense what he did for the defense in the 2012 draft when he finally gave his defense some playmakers in Jones and Hightower. 2 years later, the Pats won the SB.

He really needs to give this offense EXPLOSIVE playmakers. I’m hoping for a speed receiver. Denzel Mims is my preference in the 1st round, along with Jalen Reagor. Later rounds, maybe KJ Hamler or Antonio Gibson or John Hightower/Devin Duvernay. This offense needs SPEED. At TE, we need a GOOD pass catching TE, hopefully no later than the 3rd round. Hopefully they double dip at TE like they did in 2010. This offense is unstoppable when it has TWO good pass catching TEs.

Let’s give Stidham as many weapons as possible so he can succeed. If they do nothing offensively early in the draft, I don’t expect much success this year. I still think they can squeeze out 9 wins if they don’t draft weapons, due to coaching and current talent.

Honestly, if they go defense in the 1st round, say LB Kenneth Murray, and then in round 3 they go TE, speed receiver, TE, and maybe another LB in round 4, possibly Logan Wilson or Malik Harrison, I think this could be a really solid team.

I also feel IF we can get good production from players who were basically red shirted from the 2019 draft. Two very talented Olinemen (Cajuste & Froholdt), like I mentioned, RB Damien Harris, Cowart, the DE/DT from Maryland was very highly thought of coming out of high school (very talented), Harry and Meyers hopefully make a nice 2nd year jump, Stidham really seemed to have great chemistry with Meyers last preseason.

Sorry for the long post, basically what I’m saying is, there are a lot of ifs, a lot of variables. The draft, 2nd year jumps, it’ll all play into what kind’ve 2020 we’ll see out of Stidham. I’m actually optimistic, I think very highly of Stidham.

Ummm. . . . :eek:

GzplWuc.png

Last edited:
The basic offensive system came from Erhardt and Perkins and Weis really modernized it for the Pats. Ever since then, there have been a MILLION tweaks made to the system to suit Brady's strengths which, IMO, is his pre-snap read/decision making/quick release. Ever since we have had Brady as the starter...we have ensured that we have a good line, good running backs, and veteran receivers who can get on the same page with Brady. IOW, we added to the system...with Brady being the system.

Now we have Stidham who can beat Brady in a foot race....meaning we can do different things and because of a lack of tape on Stidham...we can be partly unpredictable.

Yes, we maximize everything for every player....but with Brady...we built the offense around him every year....it is like us replacing an engine in a car with a cheaper one....and having money left over to get upgraded tires....etc...

I agree, we will do lots of things different from when Brady was here.

We’ll hold on to the ball too long, lead with our eyes more often that will alert opposing safeties, miss crucial throws at end of games, make heroic potentially injury inducing scrambles while missing the open guy, have occasional floaters/ducks that get picked off, be confused by disguised coverages, have poor pre-snap reads........

You know, all the crap most other teams’ QBs in the NFL do. We’ll have more of all that. Back to reality.

Played with a lot of great players too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back