PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are we getting with Stidham as the starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vintage Tommy made players better around him elevated their play.

You forget he won games with JR Redmond and Jermaine Wiggins.

Winner! Football is the ultimate team game. People so forget the early years. Brady was a game manager and ran the offense early in his career. Even in Brady's first full season as a starter, 2002, a year marred by a huge number of key injuries, they had a winning record and missed the playoffs on a tie breaker.

Jermaine Wiggins was a key player in 2001. He wasn't the best TE in the game (Shannon Sharpe and Tony Gonzales made the Pro Bowl that year) but he has the hardware and was a critical part of the game winning drive. People forget that Wiggins played against the Pats in the Super Bowl as a Carolina Panther.

I'm looking forward to this season to see how BB and Josh McDaniels install offense that make the most of whoever the QB is. The defense will be solid and improve as the year goes along. They will stay in games.

We've seen them win with backups (Matt Cassell, Jimmy G, Jacoby Brissett). They can win with a new QB. It will be interesting.

Hey man I loved Drew too, but lets not kid ourselves here.
upload_2020-4-9_10-9-52.png

BradyGRUMPY wasn't doing for the Pats what BradyGOAT did either. No one in today's league can touch Brady's numbers with the exception of maybe Mahomes.
I agree. The thing is that it didnt just happen that BradyGOAT didnt just go to bed one night and wake up being BradyGRUMPY. I dont think Belichick believed in BradyGOAT anymore and became clear to him. Partly ego and a big part BradyGOAT is convinced he's still not done. He wasnt going to have the chance to prove it in New England. He saw the handwriting on the wall.

Super Bowl MVP baby!

Vintage Tommy made players better around him elevated their play.

You forget he won games with JR Redmond and Jermaine Wiggins.
Don't be dissing Wiggins. Without him, they don't win the Snow game. He had 14 catches in 2001 regular season and 14 more in the playoffs, 10 of which were in the snow against Oakland.....on 13 targets in the crappiest of conditions...

Stidham as the starter :D

I think we're going to get a run heavy offense, lots of motion to help him ID the coverage, lots of safe passes, occasional bootlegs, rare deep attempts.

I expect the line to be much better next year and the run game to be much more effective next season. I disagree about the deep shots though, if the run game is working it will be a lot easier to take deep shots in the play action.

I'm optimistic that an improved line, a healthy Sanu, Harry with another year under his belt and potential upgrades at the skill position will make it so that Stidham has a better situation than Brady did last year.

Don't be dissing Wiggins. Without him, they don't win the Snow game. He had 14 catches in 2001 regular season and 14 more in the playoffs, 10 of which were in the snow against Oakland.....on 13 targets in the crappiest of conditions...
My point exactly Tommy made it work.

I expect better than 2020 Tom Brady. After all, this is why the team allowed Brady to leave, isn’t it? So that’s my expectation. That should be everyone’s expectation.

I expect a diamond ring when I open a cracker jack box...so much for expectations

Comments:

1.) Brady was not a "game manager" nor a "system QB", he WAS THE SYSTEM, IMO. We are now gonna have to build another system...and not sure if Stidham will be the system or a cog in the machine.

2.) The offense will change and this is a big challenge for McD, IMO. I am seeing more running from the QB, bootleg passes to cut down half of the field, more check down passes to White, more draws from Burkhead/Harris, and I am not sure what we will do at tight end...we need some to help Stidham out, IMO.One good thing...I think Harry and Meyers will benefit a lot from playing with Stidham. Meyers looked great in pre-season before disappearing during the regular season. Harry has been working with Stidham....virtually...but better than nothing. We still have a top 5 defense, probably the #1 punter, and the best ST coverage units in the league. That alone will make us competitive if we play ball control offense without turnovers. That is the key for Stidham....throwing away the ball...not turning it over...living to fight another day/play. If Stidham turns the ball over...I could see a short leash.

3.) Been watching a lot of Stidham's Auburn tape as well as pre-season. He looked great in pre-season....but pre-season man. At Auburn, he looked pretty damn good in 2017....2018...it looked like he was running for his life. Not sure what he did at Baylor...but apparently he played a few games ...even while injured... before Briles got fired. Not much Baylor tape out there. Also, been doing research on Stidham...and he and Damien Harris were on the same pop warner league somewhere in Kentucky before Stidham went to Texas and in Texas...he played at the same high school that Briles coached at in Stephenville, TX. Also, Stidham was coached up by guys from Briles' tree while sitting out.....and was steered to Auburn by Briles' connections as well. A good link:

Can Jarrett Stidham escape Art Briles' shadow?

4.) My expectations:

- The schedule is brutal....even with Brady here I think we would be a 10-6/11-5 team. So, I am not even sure we are better than 8-8...gonna come down to 3-4 bounces of the ball, IMO. I do however expect to compete for the AFC East.

- I want to be on the "Stidham or bust" bandwagon. And if it is "bust"...I want it to HAPPEN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE so we can get into position to draft Trevor Lawrence.

- From his Auburn/Pre-Season tape....and ASSUMING he plays all 16 games...I think we will get this stat line:

58% completion rate
3,750 yards
22 TD
18 INTs

- And I don't want to bring in Cam Newton....even if he's the greatest Auburn QB of all time. Not sure... ditto for Jameis Winston....but man...these guys are both former #1 picks...and not exactly washed out. My concern is that both would cost money, make us better, but not put us over the top.

- I agree that we will know what BB thinks post-draft. If we don't pick up a QB early...I could see us adding a veteran...but I am hoping BB decides to stick with Stidham, Hoyer, and a draft pick....

I expect a diamond ring when I open a cracker jack box...so much for expectations
Of course you’re still eating Cracker Jacks, Joe. Just don’t forget to put your stinky dentures in before you cram a handful of them into your suckhole. ;)

Probably ok with a clean pocket and great protection. Probably a turnover machine under pass rush pressure.

1.) Brady was not a "game manager" nor a "system QB", he WAS THE SYSTEM, IMO. We are now gonna have to build another system...and not sure if Stidham will be the system or a cog in the machine.

What does that even mean ?

Brady played according to an offense designed by BB and the various OCs throughout the years. Yeah, things got tailored to his strengths while potential plays that he didn't excel in were removed. As has been happening with every role on the Pats roster.

And the same will happen with whoever his successor will end up being.

The offense and its fundamentals will remain mostly the same but the play sheet will fit the strengths of that next QB more. Maybe that means more bootlegs, maybe that means more RPOs or maybe it will stay eerily similar to the Brady offense. We shall find out.

We are going to get a year two qb, a guy who has a year in the system under his belt. He got work with the ones last year because of Brady's arm / elbow? Problems...

Hopefully he progresses from where he was at... If he does, we might be able to compete at a reasonable level

Personally expecting him to be a little worse than Jimmy was for a game and a half in 2016 at the start, but at the end of the year probably about as good. Next year, hopefully better.

Jimmy played somewhat “safe” against the Cardinals IIRC and I think it’ll be a lot of that this year. Higher percentage plays with a few shots mixed in. Very interested to see if his chemistry with Meyers and Harry translates to the regular season.

I think we're going to get a run heavy offense, lots of motion to help him ID the coverage, lots of safe passes, occasional bootlegs, rare deep attempts. I think that translates to 9-10 wins with most coming in the 2nd half of the season. All that translates well for next season when we have tons of cap space.
Stidham will be Brady in his second season, but I don't think the defense will be what it was in Brady's 2nd year. Could be totally wrong! lol

He’ll never be Brady they’ll never be another Brady

I like this tape from 2017 where they beat Alabama. Obviously very good competition. It’s not perfect but the thing that sticks out to me is he never appears to panic. Throws it away quite a few times with collapsing pockets or guys rushing right into his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes