PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a surprise - Falcons want to change OT rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Falcons did have a chance to score - with just over 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter with a 1st and 10 at NE's 22 yard line.

That they chose to run risky plays that could knock them out of FG range is nobody's fault but theirs. Making a change to the OT rules wouldn't have changed the outcome after that implosion...

My initial reaction was the same as most of you, but the more I thought about it, I can understand. If we were really honest, can you image if we lost that game in the same way, how long the thread there would have been on this site demanding a change to the rules. Of course there would have been

BTW- Altanta was doomed as soon as they lost the coin flip. IIRC, on the last 2 drives, the ONLY time Brady even got to a 3rd down was the 3rd and 10 from the 8 that he completed to Hogan. For the rest of that drive and the next one, the Pats never had a 3rd down. (to the best of my recollection). AND had scored on the previous 3 drives as well. When you think about it, this is kind of amazing.

On the other hand if Atlanta HAD won the toss, they hadn't sccored a point in the last 4 drives, and needed that utterly amazing Jones catch, and a blown assignment to the RB, to even get into scoring terrritory once in those 4 drives. So it wasn't exactly a sure thing they could do anything with that first drive.

Ok this is ridiculous. How does 5 less minutes make it more entertaining and exciting?

And the fact that Polian was involved also is not surprising. He was probably involved in the Oscar fiasco too.

Apparently the threat of going to a 10 minute OT will scare teams into wanting to win in regulation.

ABSOLUTELY STUPID TAKE and of course it comes to the f**king idiot Poilian and of course ****dell signed off on it.

Dimitroff has his marching orders from Blank.

BossyCostlyHoneybee.gif

I think they want to suggest 'Pumping In Crowd Noise' since we saw all 5 of their fans show up to welcome them when they landed back in Atl after SB Loss.

They didn't score a single point beyond 8:13 in the third quarter, but of course OT would have been different. :rolleyes:

The proposal to shorten the OT period to ten minutes has been tabled.

No surprise with this rule change. Not only endorsed by NFLPA, but more importantly to the owners it became well known because the Patriots were doing it effectively.

I say just remove the subtly of this whole process and make a new amendment to the CBA:

"Anytime a team wins the Super Bowl, whatever it is they do best shall be outlawed for the next league year, and any rules that benefit them will be redacted."

At least then we can mentally prepare for it.

For the sake of parity, I was thinking along the same line.
ie. Whatever the superbowl victory differential between the two teams over the last 15 years should equal the differential of the # of players on the field - the Pats have won 5 more SB's in the last 15 years so the falcon's should be able to play with 16 players.

If this passes, I'm one step closer to giving up on the NFL for good. Is this what the league is really coming to now? I don't like how a team won, so let me propose a change and it gets passed just like that? Player safety is one thing, but this is something entirely different. The Colts started this slippery slope and there doesn't seem to be any stopping it. They want parity and they don't care what they have to do to achieve it. I guess what that means now is let's stop the Patriots any way we can.

#integrity #protecttheshield

Well the NFL* DID just change the rules to ban leaping over the line to block FGs and PATs.

Baby steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore