PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WFT eliminates "cheerleading" squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case people don't understand the concept being discussed. Here are a couple definitions.

toxic masculinity​

noun​

a cultural concept of manliness that glorifies stoicism, strength, virility, and dominance, and that is socially maladaptive or harmful to mental health

or

Toxic masculinity​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The concept of toxic masculinity is used in academic and media discussions of masculinity to refer to certain cultural norms that are associated with harm to society and to men themselves. Traditional stereotypes of men as socially dominant, along with related traits such as misogyny and homophobia, can be considered "toxic" due in part to their promotion of violence, including sexual assault and domestic violence. The socialization of boys in patriarchal societies often normalizes violence, such as in the saying "boys will be boys" with regard to bullying and aggression.
Self-reliance and emotional repression are correlated with increased psychological problems in men such as depression, increased stress, and substance abuse. Toxic masculine traits are characteristic of the unspoken code of behavior among men in prisons, where they exist in part as a response to the harsh conditions of prison life.
Other traditionally masculine traits such as devotion to work, pride in excelling at sports, and providing for one's family, are not considered to be "toxic". The concept was originally used by authors associated with the mythopoetic men's movement such as Shepherd Bliss to contrast stereotypical notions of masculinity with a "real" or "deep" masculinity that they say men have lost touch with in modern society. Critics of the term argue that its meaning incorrectly implies that gender-related issues are caused by inherent male traits.[1]
The concept of toxic masculinity, or certain formulations of it, has been criticized by some conservatives as an undue condemnation of traditional masculinity, and by some feminists as an essentialist concept that ignores the role of choice and context in causing harmful behaviors and attitudes related to masculinity.

I'm a proud toxic masculinist....you can be a proud 26 gendered cross dressing deviant sneaking in and out of girls and boys bathrooms and playing center on the social justice warrior high school team of your choice...still a free country until Kamala & The Commies finally show their hand from behind the OZ curtain

Would it make sense to bring back a political sub-forum ? I feel like this thread has jumped the shark

I'm a proud toxic masculinist....you can be a proud 26 gendered cross dressing deviant sneaking in and out of girls and boys bathrooms and playing center on the social justice warrior high school team of your choice...still a free country until Kamala & The Commies finally show their hand from behind the OZ curtain

So you're homophobic and a misogynist? I think you may want to understand toxic masculinity for what it really is: overcompensation.

So you're homophobic and a misogynist? I think you may want to understand toxic masculinity for what it really is: overcompensation.
According to the definition, it’s based on a “traditional stereotype.” So, in that vein, stereotypes are now okay? For example, if I were to start saying the “traditional stereotype of a black man is that of an absent father,” that would be all well and good? Right? It should be. If you’re going to allow stereotypes to be used in order to make a blanket statement about half of the world’s population, it should be okay to use a stereotype on everyone. Or it should be okay to use stereotypes for nobody. But you need to choose. Can’t have it both ways. As an equal opportunity hater, I think I’ll go with the former.

That definition fits traditional stereotype of a Muslim man. Yeah. I like this. Maybe the Low-T white guys have finally gotten something right here.

According to the definition, it’s based on a “traditional stereotype.” So, in that vein, stereotypes are now okay? For example, if I were to start saying the “traditional stereotype of a black man is that of an absent father,” that would be all well and good? Right? It should be. If you’re going to allow stereotypes to be used in order to make a blanket statement about half of the world’s population, it should be okay to use a stereotype on everyone. Or it should be okay to use stereotypes for nobody. But you need to choose. Can’t have it both ways. As an equal opportunity hater, I think I’ll go with the former.

That definition fits traditional stereotype of a Muslim man. Yeah. I like this. Maybe the Low-T white guys have finally gotten something right here.

To be accurate, the wording is "Traditional stereotypes of men as.... (fill in the blank)."

So you would say the "traditional stereotype of a black man as being an absent father," and in that context it's very different, i.e., the traditional stereotype of a black man as being an absent father is harmful.

And as far as toxic masculinity- it doesn't say the traditional exhibition of masculinity such as work ethnic, excelling in sports, or being a breadwinner is harmful. But when it spills over into toxic masculinity is when it becomes overcompensation (and harmful). It's not necessary to be homophobic or a misogynist to prove one's manhood, or to feel like a man, but some men feel compelled to do so, and it's because they're overcompensating for something. That's my take on it, FWIW.

Do you find it odd that after I posted a definition of it, that someone says they are a "proud toxic masculinist" without saying they don't agree with the definition? Having a problem with the word stereotypes is fine, if that is truly your beef, but to post what Joker did is just trolling. Which kinda fits his online persona.

thus sprak the all knowing Calhoun....posting your social justice idiocies is the definition of trolling on a Patriots FOOTBALL board. Stick to football and stick your political opinions up your prodigious backside.

thus sprak the all knowing Calhoun....posting your social justice idiocies is the definition of trolling on a Patriots FOOTBALL board. Stick to football and stick your political opinions up your prodigious backside.
If you stop spewing your hurtful idiocies, I'll stop posting my social justice idiocies. When people are being mean and hurtful towards groups of people because they are ignorant about transgender issues or other issues, my conscience won't allow me to just ignore it. I try to be respectful towards differing viewpoints (sometimes I lose my way and get a bit irritated), but I will not be silenced by bullying even if I am part of the minority opinion on this board (or society). Even though I am sure it would be convenient for you to not have to hear someone's alternative viewpoint.

YOU made YOUR post first, you whackjob...jeezus krist STFU

Do you find it odd that after I posted a definition of it, that someone says they are a "proud toxic masculinist" without saying they don't agree with the definition? Having a problem with the word stereotypes is fine, if that is truly your beef, but to post what Joker did is just trolling. Which kinda fits his online persona.
I don’t have a problem with stereotypes at all. They’re often quite funny. I just have a problem when one stereotype isn’t allowed but others are. They’re either all fair game or none of them are. I actually dropped a meme about that into my Meme Dump thread in the Pub forum (which I’ve been shamefully neglecting lately)...

22c7bb0979b348bbc7cb0aab84cc0e99e20de5cc3daadb4ac3618ef812c665bd_1.gif

I don’t have a problem with stereotypes at all. They’re often quite funny. I just have a problem when one stereotype isn’t allowed but others are. They’re either all fair game or none of them are. I actually dropped a meme about that into my Meme Dump thread in the Pub forum (which I’ve been shamefully neglecting lately)...

22c7bb0979b348bbc7cb0aab84cc0e99e20de5cc3daadb4ac3618ef812c665bd_1.gif
Thanks for the clarification, but that video clip hurts my brain. There should be a seizure warning attached to it. Damn. Ouch.

Super Straight gang, where y’all at? #pride #itsnotapreference

1615409658814.png

Lol it is completely appropriate that a WFT thread would turn into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes