PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to Kansas City

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of the most exciting games (at least in its buildup) in the BB/Brady era. Not the importance (it's only October) but just the cool storylines. I've been so very skeptical of almost every "changing of the guard" challenge for so long, which was an annual event most years. Heck, it was Cincinnati a few years ago (lol), so raise your hand if you believed in Dalton and Lewis as the heirs to Brady and Belichick; it's interesting to see if a team with a young, talented nucleus can wrest "the class of the AFC" title from the Patriots. Not that this game would guarantee anything, but it's very intriguing.

The Chiefs appear to be the most legit contenders I've seen, despite their defense. Could be a real classic. I'd compare it to a non-title matchup between the two best boxers in the country, both all-in for bragging rights. Yes, it also has playoff consequences, but so does every game,so I'll just enjoy without obsessing about the long-term implications of a win or loss; season is still young.

Best storyline is that Brady is the face of the NFL, and has been for a long time. Mahomes may be the future face of the NFL. He's young and we've seen QBs collapse into themselves after hot starts, but this kid really appears to have unprecedented talent. Will be cool getting to see Brady face off against Mahomes and Rodgers this year.

This is one of the most exciting games (at least in its buildup) in the BB/Brady era. Not the importance (it's only October) but just the cool storylines. I've been so very skeptical of almost every "changing of the guard" challenge for so long, which was an annual event most years. Heck, it was Cincinnati a few years ago (lol), so raise your hand if you believed in Dalton and Lewis as the heirs to Brady and Belichick; it's interesting to see if a team with a young, talented nucleus can wrest "the class of the AFC" title from the Patriots. Not that this game would guarantee anything, but it's very intriguing.

The Chiefs appear to be the most legit contenders I've seen, despite their defense. Could be a real classic. I'd compare it to a non-title matchup between the two best boxers in the country, both all-in for bragging rights. Yes, it also has playoff consequences, but so does every game,so I'll just enjoy without obsessing about the long-term implications of a win or loss; season is still young.

Best storyline is that Brady is the face of the NFL, and has been for a long time. Mahomes may be the future face of the NFL. He's young and we've seen QBs collapse into themselves after hot starts, but this kid really appears to have unprecedented talent. Will be cool getting to see Brady face off against Mahomes and Rodgers this year.
Seeing that preseason highlight of Mahomes throwing the ball 70 yards in the air (from his own 25 to the opposing 5) was pretty impressive. He has an absolute cannon for an arm and is an elusive QB. Their offense is something else. They are very strong at the QB, WR, RB, and TE spots. It will be a good challenge for our team.

Given how they put that bit about Julio favoring breaks to a specific direction due to his ankle injury into DYJ2 even though it didn't pan out I would be surprised if this is not incorporated into the coaches thinking.
I don’t see how it wouldn’t be. Overload the right side. They can also mess around with some of the concepts up front (contain/two gap concepts/gap integrity concentration on the LDL, one gap/push upfield on the RDL). Make him scramble to the left *hopefully* into someone’s waiting arms. However they scheme it, hopefully the horses we have in the stable are able to pull it off to slow them down enough.

By the way, I’ve also theorized that this is the way college defenses should attack Tua... just from the opposite side of the field since he’s a lefty.

However they scheme it, hopefully the horses we have in the stable are able to pull it off to slow them down enough.

Yeah pretty much this. It will not be about stopping the Chiefs but about whether the amount we can slow them down takes away enough points for our offense to kill them.

That being said unless it is a weird sloppy game I am really looking forward to the A22 and looking at how Reid attacked Belichick and vice versa. Two HoF coaches going at each other.. can't wait.. win or lose.

Yeah pretty much this. It will not be about stopping the Chiefs but about whether the amount we can slow them down takes away enough points for our offense to kill them.

That being said unless it is a weird sloppy game I am really looking forward to the A22 and looking at how Reid attacked Belichick and vice versa. Two HoF coaches going at each other.. can't wait.. win or lose.
What will be interesting to see is if Belichick attacks him the same way he used to attack Favre. Take away his easy outlets to the right side of the field and contain him and you might be able to force him to throw across his body to the left. Unless Hill breaks free, that’ll hopefully result in an INT.

It will be a season-defining game for sure. If we win this one, I see us going on a lengthy winning streak.

I actually think that it was for this type of game that Bielema was hired- I think we'll place emphasis on first, stopping the RPO, and to force Mahomes to be more one dimensional, more predictable, to make him engage in a nickel and dime sort of game where he'll hopefully become impatient and commit a costly error or two.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us open in dime and dare them to run on us to take the spotlight away from Mahomes. That will hopefully goad him into making mistakes by trying to get back into the spotlight. Make no mistakes, this is a kid that loves the highlight reel.

It will be a season-defining game for sure. If we win this one, I see us going on a lengthy winning streak.

It'll tell us a lot about where the defense TRULY is. We're in mid-October right now. This is generally the point where you want to see the defense show improvements against legitimate competition instead of crapping itself then improving their PPG rankings against weak offenses. If they hold the Chiefs under 30, I'll consider it an accomplishment and will be comfortable enough with them to hold down the fort for the offense enough to have postseason success. If they hold them to 24 or under, I'll consider it outstanding. If they let up another 40-burger and take an L, it might be time to mail it in on the 2018 season, boys.

I actually think that it was for this type of game that Bielema was hired- I think we'll place emphasis on first, stopping the RPO, and to force Mahomes to be more one dimensional, more predictable, to make him engage in a nickel and dime sort of game where he'll hopefully become impatient and commit a costly error or two.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us open in dime and dare them to run on us to take the spotlight away from Mahomes. That will hopefully goad him into making mistakes by trying to get back into the spotlight. Make no mistakes, this is a kid that loves the highlight reel.

We open in dime on anything besides 3rd and long and they're running that ball right down our throats for an easy 7. You can't do that against them. Hunt will have a field day. The key will be stopping the run out of the nickel.

It'll tell us a lot about where the defense TRULY is. We're in mid-October right now. This is generally the point where you want to see the defense show improvements against legitimate competition instead of crapping itself then improving their PPG rankings against weak offenses. If they hold the Chiefs under 30, I'll consider it an accomplishment and will be comfortable enough with them to hold down the fort for the offense enough to have postseason success. If they hold them to 24 or under, I'll consider it outstanding. If they let up another 40-burger and take an L, it might be time to mail it in on the 2018 season, boys.
The last time the NEP allowed 40+ was in 2012 v SF.

I think they will keep them under 30 with a lot of help from the offense.

The last time the NEP allowed 40+ was in 2012 v SF.

I think they will keep them under 30 with a lot of help from the offense.

Eh? They allowed 42 to this very same KC team in Week 1 last year. The Super Bowl?

Eh? They allowed 42 to this very same KC team in Week 1 last year. The Super Bowl?
I think this D is better and I think they will run the ball more and have extended drives.

But if KC scored 40+ I would not be surprised.

If they let up another 40-burger and take an L, it might be time to mail it in on the 2018 season, boys.

Depending on how much of it is ineptitude, getting outplayed or just bad luck I am not quite ready to that far but your point is well taken and both units definitely need to show clear signs of an identity.

The defense needs to show it can slow down the run from nickel and be more successful on third down. And, similarly, the offense needs to show it can sustain long drives via the run and also be more efficient on third downs.

We open in dime on anything besides 3rd and long and they're running that ball right down our throats for an easy 7. You can't do that against them. Hunt will have a field day. The key will be stopping the run out of the nickel.

On some level we are playing dime in the same personnel as nickel. With Chung being almost a bonafide LB. So I think the difference between the two might be pretty small.

Depending on how much of it is ineptitude, getting outplayed or just bad luck I am not quite ready to that far but your point is well taken and both units definitely need to show clear signs of an identity.

The defense needs to show it can slow down the run from nickel and be more successful on third down. And, similarly, the offense needs to show it can sustain long drives via the run and also be more efficient on third downs.

Yeah, key word there is "might." But if they're just getting blown off the field because the personnel still can't handle this kind of offensive attack, I don't see them being a championship caliber unit. You can only go so long avoiding that kind of offense in the postseason until you eventually run into it. I have a lot of questions about the personnel but with the way Hightower is improving coupled with the fact that McCourty's troubles just seem to be a new role and new(er) responsibilities, I am hopeful.

On some level we are playing dime in the same personnel as nickel. With Chung being almost a bonafide LB. So I think the difference between the two might be pretty small.

Well, in the dime, Chung is probably still going to be on the field. The difference is that you're likely subbing in a CB and taking out either a LB or another safety. Small difference or not, that's very likely to negatively affect the way the defense handles the run (especially if the DTs are an issue in this game and Hunt is able to get to the next level). I wouldn't toss dime packages out there against them at all on early downs. I'll stay in the nickel and see if I can stop the run that way.

DpPlZe5XgAA4ahR.jpg:large
Patrick Mahomes on scramble drill and broken plays

So, if the defense is going to flush Mahomes out of the pocket, try to make sure that he can only go to his left?

So, if the defense is going to flush Mahomes out of the pocket, try to make sure that he can only go to his left?

Seems to be the case, but I'm not sure how revolutionary this idea is, or how specific it is to Mahomes. Seems to me like it's naturally easier for any right handed QB to throw the ball while running to his right, since he doesn't have to twist his body back to a throwing position.

Heard a stat that BB lead teams are 23-0 when facing QBs under 25 during the regular season (exception being Sanchez in the playoffs). Wasn't sure if that was at home or either, might be just at home.

Can't find a link to it.

Found it: Hour 2: Five Point Stance (Warning ESPN/Golic & Wingo) at the 22:01 mark (roughly)

Last edited:
Heard a stat that BB lead teams are 23-0 when facing QBs 25 and under during the regular season (exception being Sanchez in the playoffs). Wasn't sure if that was at home or either, might be just at home.

Can't find a link to it.

I'm looking forward to more good things from Sony Michel. Being a graduate of UGA, I've got a special place in my heart for all Dawgs.

I've been checking stats recently, and for Michel I was looking at 1st downs gained. He's currently tied for 8th in the league on converting for first downs despite being a game down and unassisted by a poor start by our team. That's a stat I like a lot for running backs, as it suggests a guy can move the chains for you. It will be a fun stat to keep track of as he gets more comfortable in his role further into the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft