PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Well, the MVP was named, and it's a total joke: Peyton Manning, once again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah keep telling yourself that. Even though those were some of my early post in this thread. Anybody can go back and read the beginning of the thread and see you didn't understand the point i was trying to make, even if they disagree with it.

Really? Here's the progression....

I knew that was coming when i posted that. Winning the SB is a team accomplishment. Brady would have zero rings if he had the '01, '03, and '04 Colts defenses. Brady or Manning do not tackle any one for a living.

I was going by the years the pats won the Super Bowl, nice try though. Let's trade defense for those years and Brady is sitting on zero rings.

Hello i said i was going by the years the pats won the super bowl. No matter how good he is brady wouldn't have made the playoffs with the colts defenses in those years.

And, AGAIN, I pointed out to you that it was Manning, not the Colts defenses, that cost the Colts their playoff losses in those seasons. In 2004, the more egregious year, Peyton, mighty Peyton, managed just a field goal. That has nothing to do with the Colts defense.

Manning is 7-7 in the playoffs. That's not because of his defense.

Notice that you didn't bring up the "Brady wouldn't have made the playoffs" line until your third post in the sequence, and my "AGAIN" post was an attempt to get things back on track in response to that change of argument on your part. Now, can we dispense with the myth that anyone but you changed the argument or will you keep insisting you were consistent despite the reality of your actual posts?

Last edited:
What do you mean, "nice try, though"? You blamed the Colts' defense when it was Manning who stunk out the joint, and I pointed out the error of your argument.

Hey, look, I think Law just picked Manning off again. Great job, fivehead!

Peyton's definitely had his postseason struggles, I grant you that.....but you people act like the 03-04 Patriots were Gawdawful teams that only beat the Colt's because Manning choked. And thats a load of carp....Those were great teams and, IMO, no team would have beat those teams in Foxboro those 2 years.

The Colt's lost to the Pats in 03 and 04 because the Pats were great, not because Manning choked.

At least, thats my opinion.:)

ooo ooo i can play this game too. It took the pats holding the colts receivers for them to win in the afccg in '03. Forget on the potential game tying drive on a 4th down pollard was held and the pats got an easy fg to put the game away.

Wanna trade what if's and excuses? I got better things to do, it was a good discussion though.

Ummm..... what the Patriots did in '03 was legal and within the limits of the game. Your GM was such a **** that he whined until the competition committee altered how the game was being played with their "point of emphasis".

If you can't win, change the rules!

Peyton's definitely had his postseason struggles, I grant you that.....but you people act like the 03-04 Patriots were Gawdawful teams that only beat the Colt's because Manning choked. And thats a load of carp....Those were great teams and, IMO, no team would have beat those teams in Foxboro those 2 years.

The Colt's lost to the Pats in 03 and 04 because the Pats were great, not because Manning choked.

At least, thats my opinion.:)

Look, let me say this. Manning is a great quarterback, especially in the regular season. He's been deserving of the MVP award in the past. He just didn't deserve it this year. As for 2003, the Colts team was favored by many, if not most, to win that matchup.

Exactly, they're really calling their own team bad. They act like the Colts were going against a clearly inferior team who they should blow out but somehow Manning choked and let the inferior team advance on.

When the offense of the century (at the time) only puts up three points, that's a choke... no matter how good the team is. When the '07 Pats only put up 14 points in the Super Bowl, everyone considered that a choke despite how good the Giants were. So how come it can't be the other way around with you?

Manning is a great QB. ALMOST as great as Tom Brady.

But to win 3 MVP awards, given his lifetime post season choke jobs, is hilarious.

anyone else sick of this same argument every season?

Manning MVP......You Must Be Kidding Me.

You have got to be kidding me.......the jock sniffers once again give Peyton an MVP. This, more than any other single thing I have seen, shows how pedestrian and sad the AFC is this year.

Did Clayton have 20+ votes himself?

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Re: Manning MVP......You Must Be Kidding Me.

I just saw this as well..

to be honest, while disappointed in the vote, I am not surprised.

You have got to be kidding me.......the jock sniffers once again give Peyton an MVP. This, more than any other single thing I have seen, shows how pedestrian and sad the AFC is this year.

Did Clayton have 20+ votes himself?

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

and you are somehow surprised at this? ESPN/Football analysts have been ballwashing this guy since he came into the league. IF he is even CLOSE to being considered for the MVP in a given year.....he is getting it.....They couldn't give it to him last year because Brady set the records......There are alot of really deserving guys out there that have played well THE ENTIRE SEASON......and get shunned.....that is sad and pathetic......But Peyton has all of them mesmerized......

and you are somehow surprised at this? ESPN/Football analysts have been ballwashing this guy since he came into the league. IF he is even CLOSE to being considered for the MVP in a given year.....he is getting it.....They couldn't give it to him last year because Brady set the records......There are alot of really deserving guys out there that have played well THE ENTIRE SEASON......and get shunned.....that is sad and pathetic......But Peyton has all of them mesmerized......

Maybe because he deserved it?

No, that's too wild. Sorry for suggesting it.

TDs
Rivers: 34
Manning: 27

INTs
Rivers: 11
Manning: 12

Yards
Rivers: 4,009
Manning: 4,002

Average Pass
Rivers: 8.4
Manning: 7.2

QB Rating
Rivers: 105.5
Manning: 95.0

Defense
Colts: 18.6 PPG (7th)
Chargers: 21.7 PPG (15th)

Final Team Result
Rivers: AFC West Division Champions
Manning: #5 Wild Card Seed

Manning was picked over Rivers because he had a better regular season record.

Which is ironic due to that record only being good enough to clinch a Wild Card berth while Rivers did what he needed to do to win the division and host the playoff game between the two.

Last edited:

And the clear stand out players in Defense get overlooked once more.

It's an absolute farce in my opinion. It should be called Offensive MVP as the other and equally side of football is continually overlooked.

Much like the Brownlow medal here in OZ. A midfielders medal in a nutshell that overlooks the forwards and defenders.. no matter how good a season they have.

Look, let me say this. Manning is a great quarterback, especially in the regular season. He's been deserving of the MVP award in the past. He just didn't deserve it this year. As for 2003, the Colts team was favored by many, if not most, to win that matchup.

That game was played in a snowstorm, in the swamp that was Gillette before they went to field turf. The 99 Rams wouldn't have scored 10 points on that field against that defense.

It was in a dome on the biggest stage in sports. The pats held the ball 15 more minutes than the Colts did that game, the pats almost ran for 200 yards and the pats milked the clock the second half. The pats had opportunity after opportunity to score points in nice elements against the giants, while if the colts didn't score Manning was on the bench for long time consuming drives. If the game was in the dome it would have been a different game imo. I guess you can consider it a choke job, but when manning does good and lose it's still a choke job.

It's already been established in this thread that a dome is the greatest of situations for a QB, but a great QB should be able to lead his team no matter what the elements. Manning tried to play his game out there and the deep passes weren't working in the elements. Brady played it closer to the chest and had a running game to back him up while the Colts' gameplan did not seem to change all that much to accomodate it. You only changed in the second half in 2003 when you drove down for a TD on a drive led by Edgerrin James so don't try to say you guys didn't have a running game because you did. You lost while Mr. All World at the time threw pick after pick. In 2004 you were beaten down by a better defense, simply put. We controlled the clock for something like 20 minutes in the second half (too lazy to look it up right now) however Manning didn't exactly set the world on fire with the opportunities he had. I'll give credit where credit is due: Manning is a great quarterback, simply put. To say the weather conditions affected him that much while Brady was able to go down the field and lean on a running game is just taking away from him. Great quarterbacks should be able to perform no matter what the weather looks like. Manning choked just as much as we got to him.

Last edited:

TDs
Rivers: 34
Manning: 27

INTs
Rivers: 11
Manning: 12

Yards
Rivers: 4,009
Manning: 4,002

Average Pass
Rivers: 8.4
Manning: 7.2

QB Rating
Rivers: 105.5
Manning: 95.0

Defense
Colts: 18.6 PPG (7th)
Chargers: 21.7 PPG (15th)

Final Team Result
Rivers: AFC West Division Champions
Manning: #5 Wild Card Seed

Manning was picked over Rivers because he had a better regular season record.

Which is ironic due to that record only being good enough to clinch a Wild Card berth while Rivers did what he needed to do to win the division and host the playoff game between the two.

My guess for why Rivers didn't get the MVP is because of the division he's playing in although that's a sorry excuse. The Chargers still played a good schedule this year without their usual swagger on defense. Rivers had a great year and led his team every bit as much (if not more considering L.T.'s down year) as Manning did. But alas, I still cannot say much bad about Manning. What he did was impressive, even though he was the one that caused it. He led his team to a comeback with a 9 game winning streak riding into the playoffs. No matter how much bad you can say about the guy, you have to admit that's pretty impressive.

Which is ironic due to that record only being good enough to clinch a Wild Card berth while Rivers did what he needed to do to win the division and hostthe playoff game between the two.

Thats the dumbest thing I ever read in my life. Yeah hold it against Peyton the #1 seed is in our division and we went 12-4 instead of 14-2. Sure I know he should have gotten us two more wins, he didn't.

But, instead Rivers team backs in at 8-8 due to a Denver meltdown and he is more worthy since HE did what was needed to win the division and get a home game in a crap division? Colts are good enough to go 12-4 and 5-1 against playoff teams but SD is good enough to go 8-8 and beat no playoff teams but Rivers did what was needed more? LMAO. Oh and don't get me started on Pennington. My God he is not even the MVP on his own offense

I also love the people still saying teams like the Texans gave us a win. What about the Chiefs giving the wins to the Chargers? Does luck only get accounted for when it pertains to Indy?

I read this thread shaking my head. Wow the Manning hate is fierce. I kind of like it though, I like being the team most fans of opposing teams are rooting against.

Go ahead and cry and stomp your feet that Manning won it. 32 writers out of 50 disagree with you. But, I am sure you know more?

And the Brady vs. Manning thing is meaningless, has nothing to do with Manning getting MVP. I bet if Brady is able to come back next year and if he has setbacks and limps around but makes clutch plays to win but gets better as the year goes on and your team makes the playoffs you guys sure will be singing his praises for MVP.

I guess you have to be a Colts fan to truly understand and appreciate it but in my opinion this was Manning's best year yet. The stats were not as good as previous years (mostly due to missing the offseason and injury) but he has been incredibly gutsy and clutch and I have never seen him want to win more badly than I have this season.

Thats the dumbest thing I ever read in my life. Yeah hold it against Peyton the #1 seed is in our division and we went 12-4 instead of 14-2. Sure I know he should have gotten us two more wins, he didn't.

But, instead Rivers team backs in at 8-8 due to a Denver meltdown and he is more worthy since HE did what was needed to win the division and get a home game in a crap division? Colts are good enough to go 12-4 and 5-1 against playoff teams but SD is good enough to go 8-8 and beat no playoff teams but Rivers did what was needed more? LMAO. Oh and don't get me started on Pennington. My God he is not even the MVP on his own offense

Congratulations on having 4 more wins (Lions, Bengals, Browns, Jaguars) than Rivers, who will prove the superior QB this season tomorrow night.

He'll have the stats and team success advantage. As...

8-8, 1-0 in playoffs > 12-4, 0-1 in playoffs

Also you don't "back in" to the playoffs on a 4 game winning streak.

both rod woodson and jamie dukes on NFLN think demarcus ware or james harrison or phillips rivers were a little more deserving.They even went on to say its a safe pick by the so called voters and are the same guys who vote steve young into the hall of fame the 1st time but charles haley is still not.

Don't you guys get the feeling that these nozzles don't see past color. They are the voice for the black player in the NFL. If the player isn't black, they won't pimp him, plain and simple. Maybe it is a just cause, but it's pretty obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back