PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome To The Pats N'Keal Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone thinking we go after a burner like hardman to compliment Harry?

Think people overrate the separation thing a bit. You generally don't get a ton of separation in the NFL no matter what. You need the traits to consistently make catches even when well-covered. Players like Mike Evans, DeAndre Hopkins, Josh Gordon, and AJ Green are in the bottom rungs of 'separation' if you look at the NextGen Stats. Meanwhile, Chris Hogan is near the top. Harry's upside is an Evans or Justin Blackmon type, and the Patriots have Edelman as a guy who can wiggle around and separate. And the way the Patriots scheme guys open, YAC ability is incredibly important, and Harry has that in spades. He's like Cordarelle Patterson in how he runs through defensive backs and arm tackles. He may lack Patterson's top gear but he has much better hands and instincts than Patterson ever did.

Not only that, but watching some of his highlights, the QB kind of suck at throwing him open. Lots of coming back to under thrown balls. He will also get the opportunity to work on getting separation during camp against some of the best CBs in the league.

Step 1: Take Friday off to catch up on billing and paperwork.

Step 2: Proceed to spend the entire morning reading glowing twitter posts and watching highlight videos of Harry. You are now convinced that he will be the best WR in the league by week 10 (at the latest) and his utter awesomeness will convince Gronk to return late in the season, so as not to miss playing with the future GOAT at WR.

Step 3: Ignore the fact your erection has lasted well over four hours.

Step 4: Try to piece together an argument that would convince wife that watching tonight's second and third round together would be romantic.

If you still have 3, that help you with 4

Even if Deebo Samuel is there? You like Isabella more?

Yes. I'm intrigued by the possibility of using his speed in the slot. I absolutely admit to the preference being based purely on speculation, and having nothing to do with any comparative evaluation of overall talent.

My only disappointment last night was that Dexter Lawrence and Simmons were both gone (never expected Fant or Hock). Glad they picked a WR otherwise. I agree: the need one more. Deebo looks like a great fit to me.

Yeah, having both of those players get taken really sucked.

Seriously, where does the BPA myth come from? They work hard to have a complete roster before the draft, but whenever there is a hole, they fill it with one of the surest players, no messing around.

Which brings up the question of whether there are any genuine holes remaining for the round 2 picks. I'm probably in the minority, but I think the answer is yes, at OT.

Drafting for need has taken on a negative connotation, and I think fans like to pretend that their teams are above it.

Step 4: Try to piece together an argument that would convince wife that watching tonight's second and third round together would be romantic.

I am so failing on this score. It's date night with Mr. Patchick, for whom the draft is no more appealing than any other shopping expedition. ("Hey, let's spend Friday night picking out curtains! Or defensive linemen!")

Seriously, where does the BPA myth come from? They work hard to have a complete roster before the draft, but whenever there is a hole, they fill it with one of the surest players, no messing around.

Which brings up the question of whether there are any genuine holes remaining for the round 2 picks. I'm probably in the minority, but I think the answer is yes, at OT.

Would you agree no OT taken at 56 would compare in talent to Isaiah Wynn though? I assume you are down on the health of the player not the ability. Moving up for Risner or Cajuste would be a nice move.

yep.

I think we need one more WR and it will come from this years draft and not FA or trade.

WR1 Edelman
WR2 Harry
WR3 Dorsett
WR4 2-4 round pick
WR5 Gordon

Would you agree no OT taken at 56 would compare in talent to Isaiah Wynn though? I assume you are down on the health of the player not the ability. Moving up for Risner or Cajuste would be a nice move.
I think you also have to include the health and age of Cannon and the lack of swing OT. I would expect an OT be picked at 73 the latest.

Yeah, my worry is that we have a depth chart of 2, one of whom is coming off an achilles injury and has never played a down in the NFL, the other of whom has missed 12 games over the past 2 seasons and may be nearing the end of his career. You have to expect the swing tackle to see some meaningful action this year.

yep.

I think we need one more WR and it will come from this years draft and not FA or trade.

WR1 Edelman
WR2 Harry
WR3 Dorsett
WR4 2-4 round pick
WR5 Gordon

I don't know that they need another WR (Ellington and Harris are here, and one of them could certainly make the team), but I'm definitely hoping they take one and carry more WRs than usual.

Gordon
Thomas
Edelman
Harry
Dorsett
Draftee #2
Ellington
Harris

is a great group for camp. It covers for injury and suspension, and gives you players who might be in-season returnees who could make roster creation and manipulation easier. And it would be one hell of a turnaround from what the team had after the season ended and free agency began.

Don't we have a burner already in Dorsett. lol

I'd rather go after another big receiver with speed. There seems to be a few out there.

He's my favorite, but you'll find plenty of partisans for half a dozen different speed receivers. This is a great year to be looking for one around round 3.

I think you also have to include the health and age of Cannon and the lack of swing OT. I would expect an OT be picked at 73 the latest.

Yeah, my worry is that we have a depth chart of 2, one of whom is coming off an achilles injury and has never played a down in the NFL, the other of whom has missed 12 games over the past 2 seasons and may be nearing the end of his career. You have to expect the swing tackle to see some meaningful action this year.

Agree with the analysis. Hopefully they move up if they want a quality swing tackle as the supply & demand with OL is tough.

Teams draft for need every round, every year. Huge myth that is really a pet peeve.

I think the philosophy of "Don't let a perceived need predetermine what you do in the draft" somehow morphed (in the minds of some) into "Never factor need into the equation at all."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes