PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome to the new forum!

First of all, Ian, thank you so much!

It's simply stunning to an old Luddite like me how much work you put into the site. I'm incredibly grateful.

A couple of remarks/questions (I've tried to go through this thread but perhaps I've missed what I'm looking for). I like the "clean" look of the new forum, but I'm finding it more difficult to get through threads than I did before.

One reason (as someone mentioned) is the large amount of white space. I think that must be because of the amount of stuff that there is in the left-hand column (avatar + personal details + jersey). That creates a lot of depth even for a short post.

The other is that I haven't found a feature that lets me extend the number of posts in a page as you could with vBulletin. So you have keep going on to the next page even if the thread itself isn't huge (God knows what will happen if something sensational happens in the next month or so).

I'm sure I'll get used to it as we go along, but, at the moment, I'm finding it much harder to take threads on board quickly.

Cheers and thanks again,

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
On this new ignore list, are posts from people on ignore simply not showing up, like that old software on Mozilla Firefox which allowed posts from those on ignore to completely disappear? If so, that's an awesome upgrade.
That is correct, you no longer get a message saying "User X is ignored" it simply doesn't show up.

My question - is there a way to block a thread like on the old one ? I like being able to block O.T. threads like the current UConn thread.

Would it be possible to put the jersey next to the avatar so it's laid out like:
Username
User title
Avi-Jersey
Details

That would save a fair bit of space if it can be done.

Thanks for all of the hard work. Also, this board seems to load a lot faster than the previous, which is another bonus

Performance is amazing, both initial load time and moving between pages.

That is correct, you no longer get a message saying "User X is ignored" it simply doesn't show up.

My question - is there a way to block a thread like on the old one ? I like being able to block O.T. threads like the current UConn thread.

Thanks. I was wondering why certain regular posters simply weren't showing up.

Performance is amazing, both initial load time and moving between pages.

Agreed. This should solve the server crashing problem on game day.

• Agree
Would it be possible to put the jersey next to the avatar so it's laid out like:
Username
User title
Avi-Jersey
Details

That would save a fair bit of space if it can be done.

I wouldn't mind if we lost the jersey, or maybe there's a way to make it optional for the user? Or visible on hover? Or maybe get really wonky and set a minimum post length before the jersey appears? o_O There are so many great enhancements to the site with the change — that can't be emphasized enough — but I don't think the jersey adds enough to merit the space. 2¢.

Well this is looking pretty fantastic. Also, I really don't mind the white space on account of the sidebar profiles. Makes the spacing pretty consistent in a way that kinda works.

Agreed. This should solve the server crashing problem on game day.

Which between the additional features and overall performance of the software was the number one reason I decided to switch. The software we had before was over 10-years old and just not ideal for high loads or massive spikes. Excited to see how much better it performs this season. :cool:

Wait, does "Optimistic" indicate a kind of judgementalism/disbelief or does it mean "I share your optimism too"? :D

Wait, does "Optimistic" indicate a kind of judgementalism/disbelief or does it mean "I share your optimism too"? :D
Good question. Thought that one - along with the icon - was an interesting choice :)

Good question. Thought that one - along with the icon - was an interesting choice :)

I meant it as a "Here's hoping!" kind of sentiment.

But you're right, the rainbow icon makes me wonder if it's meant to be a "Youve got your head in the clouds" commentary... which I don't intend.

Which between the additional features and overall performance of the software was the number one reason I decided to switch. The software we had before was over 10-years old and just not ideal for high loads or massive spikes. Excited to see how much better it performs this season. :cool:
And in the end is that the most important thing, Ian.

For all the bells and whistles that we love now, we all managed to get a lot of discussions done in the old system without them. But what wasn't acceptable was when the system was maxed out by high volumes. So while I may like this and someone likes that, what we ALL will like is functional board that we know will be operational under the most stressful situations.....like game day next February. :D

On this new ignore list, are posts from people on ignore simply not showing up, like that old software on Mozilla Firefox which allowed posts from those on ignore to completely disappear? If so, that's an awesome upgrade.

It seems to be sort of a combination. Judging from Ian's seemingly specifically responding to nobody on multiple occasions, it seems as if you still (sometimes) see that a member on ignore has posted because the colored bar (sometimes) shows up telling you that they have, but you don't see the post even if someone else is quoting it.

It seems to be sort of a combination. Judging from Ian's seemingly specifically responding to nobody on multiple occasions, it seems as if you still (sometimes) see that a member on ignore has posted because the colored bar (sometimes) shows up telling you that they have, but you don't see the post even if someone else is quoting it.
Yeah I'm seeing that now. In the thread about the Pats trading up for a WR, the last post shows from "Ignored User" 11 minutes ago. Love that feature of the forum because I missed that add on.

Yeah I'm seeing that now. In the thread about the Pats trading up for a WR, the last post shows from "Ignored User" 11 minutes ago. Love that feature of the forum because I missed that add on.

I'm with you. I might actually get to upgrade the browser on my "game day" computer.

As an update, I'm still looking into the issue of the user titles showing "Rookie" etc. for people who have been around a long time and have high post counts. I'll try and fix that over the weekend as I tie up some of these loose ends that have been pointed out. Have gotten a lot of terrific suggestions in this thread. Keep them coming :cool:

Anyone else find that Firefox is actually faster than Chrome on the new forum? Especially when clicking on the "go to first unread post" or "go to last post" or even refreshing.

I'm using Windows 8.1 btw.

Anyone else find that Firefox is actually faster than Chrome on the new forum? Especially when clicking on the "go to first unread post" or "go to last post" or even refreshing.

I'm using Windows 8.1 btw.
I've used both and they're both quick. A refreshing experience given how slow and miserable the other one was before the transition. Really glad it seems to be working better for everyone.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back