PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome the New Pats DEFENSE: Aggressive, Exciting, Innovative

Status
Not open for further replies.
lmao ... you guys can try to not get as hype as you want... but this D can be something special, and we may enjoy watching the D more than our offense this year... and for the Bucs to say they didnt prepare for the Pats is a lie... I know this for a fact
Care to share where your fact that proves them to be lying comes from?

^^^ talking to bucs reporters/ writers who cover their practices the week before the pats game... and other things.. again this is not the big deal.. being at the game... the Pats dominated the 1 on 1 battles and in the trenches

Last edited:
^^^ talking to bucs reporters/ writers who cover their practices the week before the pats game... and other things.. again this is not the big deal.. being at the game... the Pats dominated the 1 on 1 battles and in the trenches
It seemed apparent that against the Chiefs the Bucs prepared and game planned. To make a comment that they threw out this mentality leading into game 2, but will game plan for game 3 is nonsensical.

Raheem Morris had his arse handed to him and didn't like it. Easier to make a claim that you were going vanilla rather than "got your butt whooped" isn't it.

Last edited:
It seemed apparent that against the Chiefs the Bucs prepared and game planned. To make a comment that they threw out this mentality leading into game 2, but will game plan for game 3 is nonsensical.

Raheem Morris had his arse handed to him and didn't like it. Easier to make a claim that you were going vanilla rather than "got your butt whooped" isn't it.
Every team prepares for having a preseason game. Doing in depth film study of the opponent and formulating a game plan to attack them is something diffrent, and I'm not aware of any NFL team that does that.
The Tampa G said they were expecting a 2 gap 34. I don't know how he could say that if the team gameplanned as if it were a regular season game.
I think you will find that teams 'game plan' in the preseason to do what they want to do against their upcoming regular season opponents and get work in, not to design the plays that will beat the team in the practice game.

OK, but you said you knew it for a fact, not an impression, just trying to clarify because I'm pretty sure they didn't approach the Patriots as they would if the game were for real. I don't doubt they took playing well seriously but thats a different topic.

Last edited:
Every team prepares for having a preseason game. Doing in depth film study of the opponent and formulating a game plan to attack them is something diffrent, and I'm not aware of any NFL team that does that.
Granted, but reading Morris' comments, he intimated that the team wasn't given game planning and was being left to react to see "who the good players are".

The Tampa G said they were expecting a 2 gap 34. I don't know how he could say that if the team gameplanned as if it were a regular season game.
That depends on the level of instruction handed to them by Morris. That's what it comes down too.

I think you will find that teams 'game plan' in the preseason to do what they want to do against their upcoming regular season opponents and get work in, not to design the plays that will beat the team in the practice game.
Agreed, but they Bucs were outclassed and outmatched no matter which way it's spun. I don't read too much into the pre-season, but it's apparent to me given his performance over 2010 and now 2011 that Morris is a bit of an egomaniac given his attempted sprucing of the Bucs. He was soundly beaten having the difference between contending depth and a young team on the rise illustrated in person.

FWIW, I'm not fussed with the ongoings of the pre-season. I'm just enjoying football after the CBA issues.

Last edited:
This d has potential to be dominating if:

Everyone stays healthy

Haynesworth plays up to his potential

Mayo takes a big step from consistent, dependable to playmaker

Mccourty improves

Chung and/or Merriweather take the next step

Roz-i Dowling is this year's Mccourty -- not counting on this, but if it were to happen we'd have an awesome secondary.

Ellis plays up to potential

Lots of ifs. I think the downside of this D is that it's just 'good' -- but the upside is we have dominance at every position except the outside lb. And history has shown you dont need to be great at every position to have a great defense.

hahahah... good one.... I'm sure neither team prepared like it was regular season, but both teams did similar preparing during the week, including watching film

How'd your buddy do?

How'd your buddy do?

decent.. in 2 weeks, when the 53 roster is announced, I will let you know :) , he's a good player and a hard worker.... sucks the pats dont play the bucs in regular season, could of had tickets... sucks living down in FL and wanting to see the pats play. They only play the phins down here, and I have to work on Monday night

Ken,

You and I agree with Bill Belichick. Read-and-react defenses that are fundamentally sound, and do not give up points easily, just WIN.

Everyone loves the glamour of a 5 or 6 yard sack. They don't like the 50 or 60 yards TD passes that occasionally come with them, as a consequence.

Bill is simply adding another touch to his Defense, on the front wall, now that he has developed youth, speed, size and talent to the secondary and line backing. It is the last place he needed to rebuild, and it seems surprisingly the easiest to improve.

Sage and wily vets can still rush their passer as long as they get plenty of opportunities to rest. BB has been adding DL depth in his previous rebuilding. So he has the rest & recuperation snaps needed, he can and is adding the finishing touch, the whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry topping to his Patriot Sundae.

I was really really annoyed that I had to settle for the Steelers in my fantasy draft. I wanted the Pats D so badly.

the pats d went before the steelers d?

can not say i have seen that in the mock drafts i have participated in.

Read and react defenses worked well when our DBs were allowed to mug receivers down the field. It allowed our front seven to shed blocks and create pressure on passing downs. It's no coincidence that passing offenses have soared since they put the emphasis on the 5 yard bump rule a few years ago. It's no coincidence that Manning has torched our defenses over and over again since then. Belichick had to change. You can point to our championship years when we were allowed to mug recievers down the field as successful years for read and react defenses, but those days are gone.

Fans of read and react defenses may not like it, but this change is necessary. Put your blinders on, deny all you want, but this defense SO FAR looks different.

Last edited:
Read and react defenses worked well when our DBs were allowed to mug receivers down the field. It allowed our front seven to shed blocks and create pressure on passing downs. It's no coincidence that passing offenses have soared since they put the emphasis on the 5 yard bump rule a few years ago. It's no coincidence that Manning has torched our defenses over and over again since then. Belichick had to change. You can point to our championship years when we were allowed to mug recievers down the field as successful years for read and react defenses, but those days are gone.

Fans of read and react defenses may not like it, but this change is necessary. Put your blinders on, deny all you want, but this defense SO FAR looks different.
We have never played 2gap defense on passing downs.

We have never played 2gap defense on passing downs.

Yes, because offenses told us when they were going to pass and when they were going to run.:rolleyes:

Agreed but doesn't a more aggressive defense make it easier on the DBs in one respect that they don't have to cover all day? If the QB is either running for his life or has to make a throw before he has time to eat a donut and go through all his progressions ( as has happened in recent years) it stands to reason that the DBs need only cover for a shorter amount of time, lessening the chance of a completion and the third down defense should improve. This keeps the defense off the field, fresher in the 4th quarter and gives the offense more possessions.

Yes, because offenses told us when they were going to pass and when they were going to run.:rolleyes:
Your comments stated what we did on passing downs.
I stated that we have not played 2 gap on passing downs.
Why would you make such a stupid comment in response? Do you understand what passing down means?

Agreed but doesn't a more aggressive defense make it easier on the DBs in one respect that they don't have to cover all day? If the QB is either running for his life or has to make a throw before he has time to eat a donut and go through all his progressions ( as has happened in recent years) it stands to reason that the DBs need only cover for a shorter amount of time, lessening the chance of a completion and the third down defense should improve. This keeps the defense off the field, fresher in the 4th quarter and gives the offense more possessions.
An aggressive defense doesnt mean more successful pass rushing. The Jets played 1 gap last year and their pass rush was aweful, because they couldn't win one on one battles.
Somehow this board had evolved into the idea that an aggressive defense means we have decided we want to hit the QB and a conservative defense means we decided the DL should just sit there and do nothing.

The differences are not even close to what is being implied.
We play base 50% and sub 50%. In sub package the DL will do nothing different than they have always done.

In base, lets use the WDT as an example.
In a 2gap he is head up on an OL. If its a run, he must play both sides of the blocker. That is, his technique is to control the blocker so that he can make a tackle on plays to the gap on either side. In a one gap he is shaded to the shoulder of the OL, and his technuique is to fill the gap on that side. He is equally likely to get blocked in either case. The scheme will not make him beat his man, his ability will.

Now lets look at a pass play. Anyone who has ever played defensive football understands that you don't do the same thing regardless of what the offense does. If it is a pass, the OLs first move is to take a drop into pass protection.
The difference between the 1 gap and the 2 gap is that while that is happening the DL fires toward the center of the player or his shoulder (with the OL knowing he is offset and going there). Wow, what a tremendous difference. I can't believe BB has been so stupid to sit back and not want to try to get any pressure on the QB.
Really guys, learn what you are talking about before overstating it so dramatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes