PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome the New Pats DEFENSE: Aggressive, Exciting, Innovative

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanStnfrd

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
BB unvieled his D1s for the world to see. And the reaction was overwhelmingly complementary. Here is Tampa guard Davin Joseph:

“They used to be a 3-4, gapping-type defense,’’ he said. “They’re more of an attacking defense now. They have the right guys for the defense and they’re able to work it. And it seems like they’ve been playing it for years. And you would have never known they made a switch, even with no OTAs or an offseason. You couldn’t tell. (emphasis added)

“They had the right guys inside, they had the right defensive ends. They have the right linebackers for that defense. It was a heck of a challenge today to go against some quality guys. My hat’s off to them.’’

The Globe in For depth, they may be in league of their own - The Boston Globe notes that:
"in the first half, the Patriots’ defense accounted for the following disruptive plays against the quarterback or in the backfield: nine quarterback pressures, eight QB hits, two sacks (both by Mayo), one quarterback knockdown, one tackle for a loss, two holding penalties, and one false start."

One NFL executive had this to say:
"“[Bill] Belichick is through screwing around. What we saw tonight, if that’s the way they continue to go into the season, is a complete departure from what we saw last season. They’re not reacting. They’re dictating.’’

Kudos to BB for being restless in his search for a creative, attacking, effective defense and for not being dogmatic and ideological. What makes BB truly special is not just that he is willing to experiment, innovate and change but he has the genius to recruit the right talents and get the most out of his players.

Here's wishing the D stays healthy. Should be fun to see them play this year.

I think a lot of this is blatant overreaction...based on a preseason game no less. It's not "new" so much as it is an example of just employing a different look with different personnel.

If I wanted to think outside the box, I'd argue that this D is philosophically not much different than what they've previously had. Still lots of two gapping and variation in alignments. It's just that the base 3-4 is now run by virtually half the NFL. Remember the old day when you see Willie Mac get a free lane to the passer cause the O-line misread who was coming and going on the edge? That doesn't happen anymore. The base 3-4 is too ubiquitous. It's no longer just PIT and NE. Teams are more familiar with it and the blocking assignments can prevent free rushers.

Belichick's version of the 4-3 -- which really is quite different from most others -- can give you a ton of different looks that still employ many of the old strategies, it's just that teams probably aren't going to be as familiar with it. But yeah, there are plenty of formations where you'll see down linemen play head up on their blocker and then play two gap -- just out of a different formation. It's not a wholesale change in philosophy. I really believe that -- based on personnel -- any of the 4 linemen can have the responsibility of two-gapping on any given down. Not all at once mind you. But you can play games with blocking assignments because of it. That's what they'll do.

Last edited:
I saw quite a few plays where it seemed like one half of the DL was just staying at home and minding the gaps, but the other half of the D was in position to shoot the gaps and the LB was in position to blitz.

For example, and I'm going by memory, but I saw a great look where Wilfork was playing head up on a Center (just like a two gap, 3-4, NT), the other DT was lined up over the weakside guard, and the remaining strong side DE was playing in the same position over the strong side guard (which would make him more like a DT than a DE). Then, you saw the weakside DE in a 7-technique ready to rush, and Ninkovich, at OLB, was lining head-up on the TE (just like a 3-4 OLB) ready to set the edge against the run or re-direct the TE against a pass.

Oh and I believe both LBs were playing the gaps over the uncovered tackles ready to take them on against the run.

So, yeah, by my unprofessional eye -- you are seeing stuff from both 3-4 and 4-3.

I saw quite a few plays where it seemed like one half of the DL was just staying at home and minding the gaps, but the other half of the D was in position to shoot the gaps and the LB was in position to blitz.

For example, and I'm going by memory, but I saw a great look where Wilfork was playing head up on a Center (just like a two gap, 3-4, NT), the other DT was lined up over the weakside guard, and the remaining strong side DE was playing in the same position over the strong side guard (which would make him more like a DT than a DE). Then, you saw the weakside DE in a 7-technique ready to rush, and Ninkovich, at OLB, was lining head-up on the TE (just like a 3-4 OLB) ready to set the edge against the run or re-direct the TE against a pass.

Oh and I believe both LBs were playing the gaps over the uncovered tackles ready to take them on against the run.

So, yeah, by my unprofessional eye -- you are seeing stuff from both 3-4 and 4-3.

BB's been doing this stuff longer than most guys on this board have lived.

Remember the 8 linebacker defense a few years ago ? Innovation is nothing new to BB.

What's different this year is the players. He has made a major upgrade to the d-line talent, and it shows. Having all that talent up front, allows him to do a lot more with his linebackers and d-backs. And we haven't even seen Ellis and Haynesworth yet.

You never want to read so much into a preseason game, but the Pats will definitely be more aggressive this season. 'Pepper' Johnson deserves a lot of credit as he has been instrumental in some of the changes that the Pats' defense is involved in. He has gained a lot of respect from the players and should be named defensive coordinator at season's end. The Pats' defense is off to a great start so far.

Actually, the defense was pretty vanilla last night. There was nothing exotic. They just let some people get up the field. Also, the Bucs OL was awful too. Totally manhandled.

Really, that's the exciting news in all this. The D got this much pressure and push on the 1's of TB, and they did it with just better technique and more attitude, but nothing complex, scheme-wise..

Imagine when AH and Ellis get in there and they actually add a few wrinkles in there. It could be something special.

Last edited:
I really get the feeling that BB spent the entire off season coming up with some new defensive schemes that are going to change the way teams in the league play defense. Last night was just the tip of the iceberg, we are going to see a hybrid defense this year with lots of moving pieces.

BB's greatest strength IMO is that he builds his strategy around his best players strengths. I think we are going to see a ton of man coverage this year, which is really going to open the defense to play a much more attacking style.

The play last night that has me the most excited was Mayo's second sack. It looked like he had the back in man coverage, saw that the backs first responsibility was pass protection, immediately shot the gap and sacked Freeman before anyone knew what happened.

Last edited:
Actually, the defense was pretty vanilla last night. There was nothing exotic. They just let some people get up the field. Also, the Bucs OL was awful too. Totally manhandled.

That much blitzing in a preseason game didn't seem vanilla, but I would love to see what their chocolate looks like :)

If the D does as well in the regular season as they are in the preseason, BB is going to look like a genius (again) for moving to a 4-3 while the rest of the league moves to a 3-4. Then we'll see another 4-3 trend in the coming years.

Last edited:
I'd argue that this D is philosophically not much different than what they've previously had.

Gaspar begs to differ:Defense gives Patriots reason to smile - Christopher Gasper's Blog - Boston sports news - Boston.com
"We can debate until we’re blue in the face how exactly to classify this defense, but what is not debatable is that it represents A) a notable and significant shift in philosophy and B) a vast improvement." (emphasis added)

"Belichick’s more forward thinking approach to a more forward thinking and playing defense could be the missing link to Lombardi Trophy No. 4. "

I was really really annoyed that I had to settle for the Steelers in my fantasy draft. I wanted the Pats D so badly.

backpain-1292835351.jpg

Welcome Borges to the BB's New Defense Fan Club! (yes, now you have heard/seen it all) New points of emphasis for Patriots - BostonHerald.com

"Bill Belichick is trying to win the Super Bowl the old-fashioned way — with a defense that terrorizes opponents."

"Belichick has gone old-fashioned. He’s loaded up with as many experienced pass rushers as he can afford and switched (despite his denials) from a 3-4, two-gap, read-and-react defense to a 4-3 attack mode that puts a premium on pressuring the quarterback."

He concludes by saying: "If that’s not a changed philosophy I don’t know what is."

BB's been doing this stuff longer than most guys on this board have lived.

Remember the 8 linebacker defense a few years ago ? Innovation is nothing new to BB.

What's different this year is the players. He has made a major upgrade to the d-line talent, and it shows. Having all that talent up front, allows him to do a lot more with his linebackers and d-backs. And we haven't even seen Ellis and Haynesworth yet.

I agree completely, BB was the one that figured out how to maximize the potential of Lawrence Taylor, first as a position coach and then as a D coordinator of the NYG, which many attribute to the game changing as we know it now.

What we are seeing is a D that will be situational and defy easy description. After the Troy Brown(not to minimize this great patriot), Hank Poteat et al Experiments, he realized that he had to build from the back forward.. when he had enough quality/depth in the d backfield. Then he could put other things in place.. but imo it had to start with a dependable, skilled backfield. He also had to have quality backups in the event of an injury...

What we are seeing is this team being rebuilt on the fly in front of our eyes, and he is putting building blocks in place for the next 8-10 years..

Hype and over Hype. I can't wait for Borges to claim he's been clamoring for this change in this philosophy for years and finally BB is listening to him :rolleyes:

Last Thursday's impressive performance, is like back in 2008(IIRC) when Miami came out with the "Wildcat" offense and crushed the Pats. Totally dominating. Incredibly impressive.....and by the next time BB faced it he shut it down,

PEOPLE we were facing a team who had had about 10 padded practices and didn't game plan for us. Do you think we just MIGHT have had a slight advantage at the start of the game. Tell me how well did things look as soon as later that game.

I understand the excitement. Everyone wants and "aggressive, attacking D" The fans want it. The players would rather play it. Why not its a lot easier. Much more exciting that the boring "read and react".

Here's the reason why I don't see us fundamentally changing the current philosophy. IT WORKS. The record speaks for itself.and I'm sure if some less lazy than I would do the work, I could prove it conclusively. Let me explain my hypothesis with the little data I know.

My hypothesis is that read and react can CONSISTENTLY keep the opponent from scoring points. Total defense or yds given up IS NOT all that important.....IF......you believe that Points allowed is the MOST imprortant defensive stat....and the only one that counts.

Back in 2001 and 2003 the Pats ranked in the mid 20's in total D, while ranking in the top 5 in scoring D in those years. What points it out even more is the 2010 D. While that terribly flawed defense ranked in the mid 20's and had that HORRIBLE 32rd ranking in 3rd down D, STILL managed to rank 8th in Scoring D.

I think you will find(if someone would do the work0 that in EVERY year the team has played in the BB era, the scoring D was significantly higher than than the rank of the Total D.

I'm not stupid. I don't think BB WANTS to give up yds. In 2004, IIRC, the Pats ranked 6th in total D.....but even in THAT year their scoring D was higher (1st)

The point is that why is BB going to suddenly change a philosophy which has been VERY successful for OVER a decade just here in NE. The answer is, HE IS NOT!

The focus of BB's defensive philosophy is to limit the number of plays of 20+ yds Those are the killer plays that put points on the board for the other team. He is ALWAYS going to gear his defenses to keep this from happening..

What is happening now is simply just preseason. He is trying to see what he has. He is trying to fit the players into a scheme that maximizes their skill sets. They've had about 15 padded practices now and is now JUST getting an idea of what he has.

I now this is all a lot of fun, BUT when the games count, BB is NOT going to be afraid to give up yardage in order to limit points. No matter now much the media wants to protest it, BB is NOT making any radical changes to his basic philosophy And believe me, that philosophy is much too comprehensive to be pigeon-holed into a simple category like 3-4 or "read react"

Last edited:
My NAME is PETER.....I'm ITALIA44....me likey CAPITALS:)

Hype and over Hype. I can't wait for Borges to claim he's been clamoring for this change in this philosophy for years and finally BB is listening to him :rolleyes:

Last Thursday's impressive performance, is like back in 2008(IIRC) when Miami came out with the "Wildcat" offense and crushed the Pats. Totally dominating. Incredibly impressive.....and by the next time BB faced it he shut it down,

PEOPLE we were facing a team who had had about 10 padded practices and didn't game plan for us. Do you think we just MIGHT have had a slight advantage at the start of the game. Tell me how well did things look as soon as later that game.

I understand the excitement. Everyone wants and "aggressive, attacking D" The fans want it. The players would rather play it. Why not its a lot easier. Much more exciting that the boring "read and react".

Here's the reason why I don't see us fundamentally changing the current philosophy. IT WORKS. The record speaks for itself.and I'm sure if some less lazy than I would do the work, I could prove it conclusively. Let me explain my hypothesis with the little data I know.

My hypothesis is that read and react can CONSISTENTLY keep the opponent from scoring points. Total defense or yds given up IS NOT all that important.....IF......you believe that Points allowed is the MOST imprortant defensive stat....and the only one that counts.

Back in 2001 and 2003 the Pats ranked in the mid 20's in total D, while ranking in the top 5 in scoring D in those years. What points it out even more is the 2010 D. While that terribly flawed defense ranked in the mid 20's and had that HORRIBLE 32rd ranking in 3rd down D, STILL managed to rank 8th in Scoring D.

I think you will find(if someone would do the work0 that in EVERY year the team has played in the BB era, the scoring D was significantly higher than than the rank of the Total D.

I'm not stupid. I don't think BB WANTS to give up yds. In 2004, IIRC, the Pats ranked 6th in total D.....but even in THAT year their scoring D was higher (1st)

The point is that why is BB going to suddenly change a philosophy which has been VERY successful for OVER a decade just here in NE. The answer is, HE IS NOT!

The focus of BB's defensive philosophy is to limit the number of plays of 20+ yds Those are the killer plays that put points on the board for the other team. He is ALWAYS going to gear his defenses to keep this from happening..

What is happening now is simply just preseason. He is trying to see what he has. He is trying to fit the players into a scheme that maximizes their skill sets. They've had about 15 padded practices now and is now JUST getting an idea of what he has.

I now this is all a lot of fun, BUT when the games count, BB is NOT going to be afraid to give up yardage in order to limit points. No matter now much the media wants to protest it, BB is NOT making any radical changes to his basic philosophy And BTW, that so called philosophy isn't capable of being pigeon-holed into a simple categorize like 3-4 or read and react.
I did the work, its part of my sig.
This is why I am troubled by a change of philosophy. The one we had was good. I recognize that an aggressive defense gives fans a vicarious machismo but aggressive defense is not better than conservative defense, just different.
While everyone is thrilled about the performance in practice games against weak opponent offenses, what is going to happen when one gap, get the QB Colt style run D turns into being gashed for 200 rushing yards? Or when aggressive blitzing leave DBs one on one for either long passes or short ones with tons of yac vs man coverage?
My feeling has always been that BBs conservative nature (I consider him as conservative as any HC in the NFL, including taking the high percentage 4th down conversions) has worked well because basically we are a better football team than most teams we face. An aggressive approach creates plays both positive and negative that ability alone does not. If you are the better team, being aggressive makes you more likely to be upset, while if you are the lesser team being aggressive gives you a chance to win the big play battle and beat a team that otherwise outplays you.
We will see what happens as the season goes on, but I certainly hope that those cheering the more aggressive style will be gracious in accepting the higher rate of failure and big plays allowed that go along with it.

"

Our guys were winning all the individuals battles, this is a matter of talent not preparation. People saw L Taylor a lot didn't matter. Same with some of our players.

lmao ... you guys can try to not get as hype as you want... but this D can be something special, and we may enjoy watching the D more than our offense this year... and for the Bucs to say they didnt prepare for the Pats is a lie... I know this for a fact

I think a lot of this is blatant overreaction...based on a preseason game no less. It's not "new" so much as it is an example of just employing a different look with different personnel.
Yeah, all they are doing is using different personnel to do something they haven't done before. How is that "new"? :D

Seriously, I wouldn't discount this because it is a preseason game. Preseason is practicing getting ready for the season. All the practices and all the games have them using an attacking defense with 4-3 one-gapping personnel. I seriously doubt BB is going to have all the new guys learn one system only to say, "Never mind" when the season starts.

What you see, preseason or not, is what you will get.

Last edited:
Our guys were winning all the individuals battles, this is a matter of talent not preparation. People saw L Taylor a lot didn't matter. Same with some of our players.
You got that right. Regardless of scheme or play call winning one on one battles is by far the most important thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes