PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Bailey Zappe - QB - pick #137

How do you pronounce "Zappe"?

frank_zappa_1975.jpg

Again I don’t mind the pick, it’s where he’s picked I have an issue with. We took him in the 4th where I think we still could get an impact player to help now, and we could of possibly got him in the 6th.

This is the difference between you and the Patriots' personnel staff. They are playing with real money, and it is there own. If they want a player that they believe other teams want as well, they aren't going to trade back and hope he is still there later. They are going to get the player.

Actually, it was his worst year. The blocked punts, the low number of punts downed inside the 20, and that 14-10 game Bill's game was a doozy...

AND AGAIN HE WILL COST $4 MILLION THIS YEAR!!!

Out of curiosity, what do you use to evaluate a player's yearly performance besides stats???

Wanna bet? If he plays the full year at that salary, I'll give you $4M. If he doesn't, you give me whatever salary + bonus he actually plays for.

This is the difference between you and the Patriots' personnel staff. They are playing with real money, and it is there own. If they want a player that they believe other teams want as well, they aren't going to trade back and hope he is still there later. They are going to get the player.

I understand that, and thats fine. I just don't like the value and don't understand why we'd take him in the 4th. Nothing against the player just is it worth it in the 4th round.

This might be our most head scratching pick of the draft. Not sure he even makes it out of camp.

This might be our most head scratching pick of the draft. Not sure he even makes it out of camp.

Read the article linked in post No. 67, that should change your mind. If he beats out Stidham the pick makes perfect sense.

I absolutely hate this pick. This team doesn't have the luxury of taking a flyer on a backup quarterback...especially in the 4th round. We need guys that can actually help the team- this year- and mostly on defense.

I absolutely hate this pick. This team doesn't have the luxury of taking a flyer on a backup quarterback...especially in the 4th round. We need guys that can actually help the team- this year- and mostly on defense.
What’s the rush? The season doesn’t start until Sept. We’ve added talented players & we’ll certainly add more vets, we need a backup QB; Hoyer sucks/old & Stidham just sucks. Zappe may very well already be better than them both. Lastly, we have a QB on a rookie deal.

This is a great article. Thanks. This (debatable) tidbit was of interest to me, although I'd been relatively aware of it:

"As someone who is a firm believer that YAC is in large part a quarterback stat, this is textbook example of that thought. When the ball is out on time and in rhythm, and the throw is placed away from the leverage of the nearest threat, the quarterback puts his receiver in position to gain that yardage after the catch."

Hoyer sucks/old
C'mon dude - look at this BEAST:
81.8% Comp
20.6 Yds/Att
9.1% TD%
0% Int%
149.1 Rating

Probably the greatest garbage time QB in history. He might make it to 45 like that other dude. Even has a better Win% as a Houston Texans starter than Deshaun Watson.

(If he has to start then the Pats are F*cked.)

You think there are day one starters on defense available at pick 137?

I would have agreed with you had the Pats' picks been limited to the original 6 that they had going into the draft. They added enough picks to accommodate such a choice.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back