PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Pregame Thread Week 8 pregame: Pats @ Miami

Pregame Discussion ahead of the LIVE game day discussion thread. The actual Game Thread will Open an hour ahead of kickoff.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Pats go with only 3 WR in the game, thats risky but ok can use them 3TE as well, its a pitty those two WR they pay huge salary are not available during games

Hmmm. No Thornton. Surely he can't be injured again. If not, wtf?? JJSS is active, I see. Why?

Can I say, "Fire the coach," or do I have to wait until after the game. (Kidding, sort of)

Basically Thornton has been passed by Reagor on the depth chart. Gives you similar downfield ability in a bigger body.
I'm fine with Reagor getting more snaps. But he's not that different in size. He's 5'11" 197lbs. So, 3 inches shorter, but a bit more stout than TT's 185lbs. Overall, just another proof of the WR curse. Pop is a guarantee Welker/Edelman kind of WR to make this team for a long time... Boutte has more chance to survive once they get rid of JSS (and maybe Parker) next year. But, it appears Thornton is done here. Because he's a high draft pick - so he never had a chance here.
And don't talk about Pickens - because if he would have come here, he would have become Chad Jackson.
It doesn't matter who we draft in Rounds 1-3, any WR will turn into crap here.
All we can do is bring in FA's, and draft WR's in the bottom rounds and UDFA's where every few years we'll hit on an Edelman, Meyers, Pop...

Hmmm. No Thornton. Surely he can't be injured again. If not, wtf?? JJSS is active, I see. Why?

Can I say, "Fire the coach," or do I have to wait until after the game. (Kidding, sort of)
We have four receivers who are likely to get almost all the reps, with Reagor continuing to increase and Parker continuing to decrease.

personally, I see no reason for having a 5th WR active. We have 3 TE targets.

So, for me, I don't care much if the 5th active receiver is Shuster or Thornton. I guess the coaches just don't have any faith in Thronton's abilities, even for a few reps.
===========
BOTTOM LINE
I would have fine with Shuster being inactive. However, I don't see much point in having Thornton active as a 5th WR, even instead of Shuster.

Yowza!!! Billy making a statement? Play hard or GTF out !!!
How does that make sense? It was Parker who dropped a potential game tying pass in his bread basket. JSS can barely run, and definitely can't cut. Boutte played hard, just failed on a circus catch in his FIRST pro game of his life. It's not the right statement.

Demario Douglas should be getting the most snaps of any receiver, with Bourne being the only reasonable exception. I am worried we will veer back into the stupidity with JuJu and Parker getting the most snaps.
They are the best practice players of the wr squad. Watch it translate.

I'm fine with Reagor getting more snaps. But he's not that different in size. He's 5'11" 197lbs. So, 3 inches shorter, but a bit more stout than TT's 185lbs. Overall, just another proof of the WR curse. Pop is a guarantee Welker/Edelman kind of WR to make this team for a long time... Boutte has more chance to survive once they get rid of JSS (and maybe Parker) next year. But, it appears Thornton is done here. Because he's a high draft pick - so he never had a chance here.
And don't talk about Pickens - because if he would have come here, he would have become Chad Jackson.
All we can do is bring in FA's, and draft WR's in the bottom rounds and UDFA's where every few years we'll hit on an Edelman, Meyers, Pop...
I'm also fine with Reagor getting a look, absolutely, but why interrupt Thornton's progress (such as it is) to play that hopeless stumblebum JJSS? I would also like to see Boutte out there. Sloppy job overall handling the WR's this year. Not surprising, really. We have become accustomed to such incompetence from our fading "goat."

You talk about next year. I think that all of them will likely be given an opportunity to compete for roster spots next year (even including Nixon). There is little point in cutting Shuster or Parker before Training Camp. That's seven plus whoever we add or draft, not a bad start.

Of course, I am talking about those that are still here on Wednesday. Anyone but Bourne, Douglas and Reagor could be traded in the next couple of day. I think that Thornton is the most likely to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3