PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 8 - LAC@NE PRACTICE news etc. / EDIT: 5 days off on bye week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dam Malcom Brown is tough that cheap shot block could have been a season ender.

Never thought I’d say this, but I’d feel a lot better if someone else could return punts. I know that it’s not realistic, but this is now the 3rd year in a row and 2nd time this season that Amendola has been injured on PR duties.

He’s like an injury magnet on STs.

Time for Brady to throw him the ball

Not against the Chargers. We should be running the ball on them a great deal- they're a liability when it comes to the run. I would rather see Brady hand off right away than get smashed by the Chargers pass-rushing which is no joke. Really have to avoid ending up in third and long situations otherwise they'll get to Brady.

If Brady escapes unscathed, I'll count that a major victory- and with that two weeks to heal up and hopefully turn the corner on that left shoulder sprain.

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
TE Antonio Gates - Knee
RB Melvin Gordon - Foot
DT Corey Liuget - Back
K Nick Novak - Ankle

I bet all these guys play full snaps:mad:

expected but.. . another big gap to fill as Brown was taking the middle of the line in his hands strongly last weeks

Presumably Reilly is replacing Langi's special teams role, while Harris will be taking on Hightower's snaps.

The Chargers are averaging 3.5 ypc and 79 rushing yards per game. Perhaps the Patriots are willing to risk going with a smaller front (more Butler and Flowers inside) in this game to help make up for Hightower's pass rush?

Will also be a good gauge to see if Branch has really bounced back.
Langi didn't have special teams snaps, he was an inactive.

This is a great example of why statistics mislead in football.
Yes, LA struggles in the running game. What will BB do? He will no doubt play a lot of nickel and dime, play some lighter fronts, and try to limit the passing game. By doing this he will ask his defense to defend the run from a point of disadvantage, which will make the Charger running game look a little better than it is, but the run D will actually be doing a great job in those circumstances, the run game will not beat us and who cares what stats look like. The bonus win is making them think they are running well so on a critical 3rd down they try to run, we know if and stuff it with a 'regular' run D.

This is one of the frustrating things about this board. Committing extra assets to what a team does well and having them do better than normal at what they do poorly is genius defensive football. However, as we consistently beat poor QBs we keep hearing how awful it was to win but make them look good.

Langi didn't have special teams snaps, he was an inactive.

This is a great example of why statistics mislead in football.
Yes, LA struggles in the running game. What will BB do? He will no doubt play a lot of nickel and dime, play some lighter fronts, and try to limit the passing game. By doing this he will ask his defense to defend the run from a point of disadvantage, which will make the Charger running game look a little better than it is, but the run D will actually be doing a great job in those circumstances, the run game will not beat us and who cares what stats look like. The bonus win is making them think they are running well so on a critical 3rd down they try to run, we know if and stuff it with a 'regular' run D.

This is one of the frustrating things about this board. Committing extra assets to what a team does well and having them do better than normal at what they do poorly is genius defensive football. However, as we consistently beat poor QBs we keep hearing how awful it was to win but make them look good.

Of course, my initial statement of the Chargers averaging only 3.5 ypc and 79 rushing yards per game itself falls into this category. Perhaps they only get 79 rushing yards per game because they're constantly trailing in the 2nd half? Perhaps they only get 3.5 ypc because the opponent thinks the run game is their strength, puts extra assets on it, and dares the Chargers to beat them in the air?

It really takes a viewing of the film of a team's games to truly understand the cause and effect. I myself neither have the time nor the football acumen to do so properly, so I'm relying on others here. :). More importantly, I have complete faith that our coaching staff has watched and truly understands, and that they'll strategize as appropriate (as you said, devote extra resources to what they do best and dare them to beat you with the rest).

Chargers RT doubtful . on already reshuffled OL
Pats RT makes a return to the list as LP / Q

Last edited:
Remains to be seen if they go with Blackson for Hightower on 53 by tomorrow
or they stay put and going thin on DT like last week at CB..

this w Koo is pretty funny . interesting reverse psychology approcah: he costs them two W . they send him away . then bring him for tryouts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back