PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 7: We’re on to Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
The suggestion was that he had been holding his team back and that he hadn’t had a breakout game yet.

I pointed to the last 2 games where he hit a 70% completion rate, with 300+ yards in each game for a total of 9 TDs and 1 pick.

And I am saying he actually didn't play well enough for his coaching staff to let him throw the ball once in OT last week. He is holding his team back or at least his staff doesn't trust him.

He might still do that it is only week 7. Hell, he might be the long term plan to shed Allen next season.
Dwayne Allen is known for being an exceptionally strong blocking TE who has played in 13+ games each and every season with the exception of one. I’m not sure how you can look at Hollister and arrive at that conclusion, but I’m still hopeful.

And I am saying he actually didn't play well enough for his coaching staff to let him throw the ball once in OT last week. He is holding his team back or at least his staff doesn't trust him.
So he’s yet to have a breakout game, then? Mitchell Trubisky has been one of the main reasons for the Bears’ turnaround, no matter what the conservative playcalling in OT suggested. Actually, the conservative approach should have worked, had the kicker not missed.

Dwayne Allen is known for being an exceptionally strong blocking TE who has played in 13+ games each and every season with the exception of one. I’m not sure how you can look at Hollister and arrive at that conclusion, but I’m still hopeful.

Because Allen's snap counts are in a downward spiral in the face of better overall blocking from the OL which for now has made him less valuable. And Hollister (or Izzo) have another offseason to get proficient enough to replace those ~ 10 snaps a game. I am talking about 2019 and not 2018.

So he’s yet to have a breakout game, then? Mitchell Trubisky has been one of the main reasons for the Bears’ turnaround, no matter what the conservative playcalling in OT suggested. Actually, the conservative approach should have worked, had the kicker not missed.

The main reason for the turnaround of the Bears is their coaching as Nagy has brought the Andy Reid offense into a team that had (or acquired) the ingredients for it. Well that and the defense but that started already before Nagy so not sure it really is a turnaround except for the Mack factor. Trubisky so far has had one truly good game in his career and that was against a Bucs team that can't stop anyone.

Breakout implies that this is a game where he finally put things together and created consistency for the future. His next game not being trusted to pass the ball in OT to the point where they had to try a tough 50+ yard fieldgoal suggests that he is still more of a problem than a solution.

Last edited:
Breakout implies that this is a game where he finally put things together and created consistency for the future. His next game not being trusted to pass the ball in OT to the point where they had to try a tough 50+ yard fieldgoal suggests that he is still more of a problem than a solution.
He had a 71% completion rate for 316 yards, 3 touchdowns and 1 pick, for a QB rating of 122.5, last week. More importantly, he had a whopping 10.19 yards per throw average, something that Tom Brady hasn’t sniffed this year. If that’s an example of *not being trusted*, then you’re probably judging him a bit unfairly.

This is coming off of a game where he threw 6 touchdowns and 0 picks, for a QB rating of 154.6 and an insane 13.64 yards per average for a total of 354 yards. I’m guessing that he kept that game ball.

I’m not sure what one’s definition of “breakout game” should be, but it sounds like he’s been doing pretty well and has had a big hand in their improvement. That’s not to say that Belichick may force him to play poorly tomorrow because I think we’ll limit him, but I think he’s shown some nice work so far this year, and it sounds like he’s flying a bit under the radar with the general public.

Because Allen's snap counts are in a downward spiral in the face of better overall blocking from the OL which for now has made him less valuable. And Hollister (or Izzo) have another offseason to get proficient enough to replace those ~ 10 snaps a game. I am talking about 2019 and not 2018.
I’m not as optimistic as you are that Hollister can take over the role of Allen’s strong blocking TE. I think it’s no more than 50/50 (at best) that Hollister’s even on the team next year.

I’m not as optimistic as you are that Hollister can take over the role of Allen’s strong blocking TE. I think it’s no more than 50/50 (at best) that Hollister’s even on the team next year.

During his injury-free 2017 rookie season, Hollister became a fairly high-value special-teamer. As a receiver, his route-running seemed awkward and slow, and his hads weren't great. As a blocker, any lack of upper-body strength never really came into play since his problem was that he seemed to consistently misunderstand the line calls and his blocking assignments.

During the 2018 pre-season, Hollister's route running seemed much smoother and crisper and his hands were significantly better (also evident in WK-2 @JAX). I was only able to catch a few plays in which Hollister was blocking. He seemed much more confident in his assignments and easily had adequate strength and technique, although he's certainly not anywhere near Gronk, Allen or Develin.

Injury-wise in 2018, he missed week-1 with a hammy, and then played on it in week-2 (3 catches on 3 tgts for 35 yds, +10 ST snaps). --- He was off the injury report in wk-3 until he suffered his "chest injury" near the end of Tuesday's practice. --- He missed weeks 3 & 4 with the chest issue (which I consider to be a one-off, unlikely to become a chronic, recurring thing), but played through it in week-5 (IND). He played only 4 offensive snaps against the Colts without recording a stat, but also played 19 ST snaps. --- He was off the injury report in week-6 (KCY), played only 3 snaps on offense (no stats), but 16 ST snaps.

Now, he's missing week-7 with a recurrence of the hammy issue, which may, or may not, become a chronic thing and affect his play, and playing time, all season. Until (unless) Hollister gets past this hammy issue, it's going to be impossible for me to predict any kind of trajectory for him. My current evaluation is that, when healthy, he's shown enough development to be a decent #3TE/special-teamer (a few ticks better than James O'Shaughnessy). The only projection I'd have beyond that is that he seems unlikely to become an Allen-level blocker anytime soon.

The suggestion was that he had been holding his team back and that he hadn’t had a breakout game yet.

I pointed to the last 2 games where he hit a 70% completion rate, with 300+ yards in each game for a total of 9 TDs and 1 pick. I think he’s been better than the poster had suggested, considering the fact that he effing blew last year.

Maybe you were watching Mitch and I was watching Mitchell .. or was it the other way around ;)

I dont see TB as the golden standard for break out games. I do NE (no matter what anyone thinks of this D) and I hope it doesn't happen like any given Sunday.

He has proven skill set players all around him, praised HC/OC and D that gives him plenty opportunities. He couldn't finish GB, MIA games, he only has 1 4Q TD drive this season (not late 4Q at that) where RBs carried him. Its not all on him of course but he'll probably have to do better than that today.

Here's his only 4Q TD drive this season:
  • 1st & 10 at CHI 25
    (9:08 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Trubisky pass short middle to T.Burton to CHI 32 for 7 yards (T.McDonald).

• 2nd & 3 at CHI 32
    (8:28 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Howard up the middle to CHI 33 for 1 yard (R.McMillan).

• 3rd & 2 at CHI 33
    (7:45 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Trubisky pass incomplete short right to A.Robinson II. PENALTY on MIA-M.Fitzpatrick, Defensive Pass Interference, 6 yards, enforced at CHI 33 - No Play.

• 1st & 10 at CHI 39
    (7:41 - 4th) (Shotgun) B.Sowell reported in as eligible. M.Trubisky pass incomplete deep left to A.Miller (M.Fitzpatrick).

• 2nd & 10 at CHI 39
    (7:33 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Cohen left end to CHI 46 for 7 yards (A.Spence; J.Pittman).

• 3rd & 3 at CHI 46
    (6:53 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Trubisky pass short right to T.Cohen ran ob at MIA 43 for 11 yards (K.Alonso).

• 1st & 10 at MIA 43
    (6:14 - 4th) (Shotgun) B.Sowell reported in as eligible. M.Trubisky scrambles up the middle to MIA 40 for 3 yards (X.Howard).

• 2nd & 7 at MIA 40
    (5:31 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Howard left guard to MIA 34 for 6 yards (C.Tankersley; R.Quinn).

• 3rd & 1 at MIA 34
    (4:49 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Howard left guard to MIA 30 for 4 yards (D.Godchaux).

• 1st & 10 at MIA 30
    (4:10 - 4th) (Shotgun) B.Cunningham up the middle to MIA 29 for 1 yard (M.Fitzpatrick, C.Malveaux).

• 2nd & 9 at MIA 29
    (3:29 - 4th) (Shotgun) B.Sowell reported in as eligible. M.Trubisky pass incomplete deep middle to T.Cohen (R.Jones).

• (3:23 - 4th) Timeout #1 by CHI at 03:23.
  • 3rd & 9 at MIA 29
  • (3:17 - 4th) Anthony Miller Pass From Mitchell Trubisky for 29 Yrds C.Parkey extra point is GOOD, Center-P.Scales, Holder-P.O'Donnell.

Last edited:
i haven't seen this posted before in case anyone is interested

Mack is going to play ? o_O

Oh I am not optimistic about it at all. I am the last one here on the board to argue against Dwayne Allen's value. Just think that this might end up being a value based decision if Hollister can really "bulk" up or Izzo can make the jump to the pros.

He had a 71% completion rate for 316 yards, 3 touchdowns and 1 pick, for a QB rating of 122.5, last week. More importantly, he had a whopping 10.19 yards per throw average, something that Tom Brady hasn’t sniffed this year. If that’s an example of *not being trusted*, then you’re probably judging him a bit unfairly.

This is coming off of a game where he threw 6 touchdowns and 0 picks, for a QB rating of 154.6 and an insane 13.64 yards per average for a total of 354 yards. I’m guessing that he kept that game ball.

I’m not sure what one’s definition of “breakout game” should be, but it sounds like he’s been doing pretty well and has had a big hand in their improvement. That’s not to say that Belichick may force him to play poorly tomorrow because I think we’ll limit him, but I think he’s shown some nice work so far this year, and it sounds like he’s flying a bit under the radar with the general public.

I am completely ignoring the Bucs game because I think we could hang 70 points on that defense. They are that bad.

I watched the Miami / Bears game actually. And while the stats might say one thing the coaching staff being hesitant about putting the game in his hands say much more to me about where he is at. He looks like someone who throws the ball but not like a real quarterback to me. And he can throw the ball well, don't get me wrong, he is not a bad player. But he is not there yet reading defenses pre-snap, setting his protection schemes and is prone to panic when he sees a free rusher.

My point is that he is closer to what we have seen from Jared Goff in his rookie season than what he was in his second season.

a bit under the radar M.Brown and Wise did make the trip and hopefully that means they are good to go which would be significant for DL rotations.

in that case it should be between Davis, Rivers and JC Jackson for the last inactive spot with JC offering ST usage..

Cannon (i), Simon (i), Grissom (i), Gronk (i), Hollister (i), Karras, Davis/Rivers
(JC Jackson)

We joke about not wanting to see Mack, but if he’s as banged up as it many are speculating it seems pretty asinine that they would play him.

They’re 4-2, and have a very favorable schedule for the next six weeks prior to the Rams, who they play at home in December. Their remaining road games on the season are at Bills, Lions, Giants, 49ers, Vikings.

Nothing’s guaranteed in the NFL, and you can’t always just have the long game in mind. Just would think they’d take more caution with a guy they see deserving as being the highest paid defensive player ever.

At this point going to assume it’s an injury they feel can’t be reaggravated, or that Mack is healthier than it’s being made out to be.

Going to lock thread as GDT is now up

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore