PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Tried To Move Up From 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
To float a rumor like that, why not.
B.B. is extremely loyal and magnanimous toward people who worked for him that he respects.

I think that’s one aspect of the Jimmy G trade that interests me. I’m almost positive Belichick said part of the equation for the trade was trying to find a place where Jimmy could flourish because he liked him a lot. That shocked me actually, because that along with the expiring contract and small body of work affected the return.

I just cannot believe they wanted to trade up for a center. Andrews is limited, but could a rookie be that much better?

Damien Woody was pretty good as a rookie and I’d take that Damien Woody over Andrews, who has been not bad but not great.

Yep.

And as soon as Rashaan Evans' name was announced, Bill should have IMMEDIATELY started making phone calls to move Down, EXACTLY as he should have done with the 31st pick.

But we're talking Little Billy Napoleon here, who also thought that throwing away a 4th-rounder simply to move up 7 damn spots to draft a slow dwarf ahead of Justin Reid (or Sam Hubbard...or at least a half-dozen others...) was a good idea.

So in your reality, the difference between "dwarf" and Darelle Revis is less than 1 inch?

I think that’s one aspect of the Jimmy G trade that interests me. I’m almost positive Belichick said part of the equation for the trade was trying to find a place where Jimmy could flourish because he liked him a lot. That shocked me actually, because that along with the expiring contract and small body of work affected the return.
I don’t agree that he would take less to make jimmy happy. That’s not in his DNA. I imagine he liked jimmy and hoped it would work out tgat way, but he traded him to a 1-9 team not a contender.

I don’t agree that he would take less to make jimmy happy. That’s not in his DNA. I imagine he liked jimmy and hoped it would work out tgat way, but he traded him to a 1-9 team not a contender.

I would agree that almost all GMs, especially Belichick, would do the best trade for the best return to help the team.

The “trade to a 1-9” isn’t what I meant by the best situation for Jimmy. Nor would a teams record necessarily mean it would or wouldn’t be the best fit for a QB.

I realize the ESPN article is controversial to say the least, but if mostly true would provide a feasible explanation for the return.

“Belichick then hand-picked the 49ers as a trade partner, according to Wickersham, rather than seek out the best deal for the Patriots. Belichick was fond of Mike Shanahan, the father of new 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan, for his coaching ability and because the former NFL head coach had stood up for Belichick during the "Spygate" scandal. Belichick also believed that Garoppolo would "excel under Shanahan," according to Wickersham.”

“Slow dwarf”....is that you, Ron??
To paraphrase Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam....I’ve never encountered a man in more dire need of a blowj*b.

Fellowship of the Miserable.

You haven't met @FredFromDartmouth yet.

I would agree that almost all GMs, especially Belichick, would do the best trade for the best return to help the team.

The “trade to a 1-9” isn’t what I meant by the best situation for Jimmy. Nor would a teams record necessarily mean it would or wouldn’t be the best fit for a QB.

I realize the ESPN article is controversial to say the least, but if mostly true would provide a feasible explanation for the return.

“Belichick then hand-picked the 49ers as a trade partner, according to Wickersham, rather than seek out the best deal for the Patriots. Belichick was fond of Mike Shanahan, the father of new 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan, for his coaching ability and because the former NFL head coach had stood up for Belichick during the "Spygate" scandal. Belichick also believed that Garoppolo would "excel under Shanahan," according to Wickersham.”
I think that is complete made up BS.

Personally I am not a fan of investing too much draft capital in IOL. Trading up to 20 to get one. I don't like that move even if it is a Nick Mangold like player at center.

I like the Wynn pick much more at 23 cause he has a good chance to play LT which is a more valuable position.

We could have moved up to get a guy like Edmunds without giving up much. We needed a guy like that at LB.
We might have been able to pass on our starting LT and starting nickel back to get Edmunds (our 23 and 43 pus what we got to trade down from 43). I like what we did.

We might have been able to pass on our starting LT and starting nickel back to get Edmunds (our 23 and 43 pus what we got to trade down from 43). I like what we did.

Nope. They likely would have given number 23 and 63. It was only a couple of spots

Don't they have enough starting nickel back? You don't believe in Jonathan Jones? Also a LB that can cover does wonders to a secondary.

Don't they have enough starting nickel back? You don't believe in Jonathan Jones? Also a LB that can cover does wonders to a secondary.

Hightower coming back should do wonders. And if we aren't allowed to count on him, then we can't count on Jonathan Jones either, who's coming back from injury himself.

People need to get it out of their heads that Belichick is some demonic force attempting to suck the life out of all and sundry. He loves football, he loves coaches and he loves players. Sure, the economics of football require hard decisions but the guy was recently coaching up Bradley Chubb, who is now a damn Broncos player.

Last edited:
Hightower coming back should do wonders. And if we aren't allowed to count on him, then we can't count on Jonathan Jones either, who's coming back from injury himself.

No . Hightower at this point of his career you can't trust to stay healthy. What happened to Cyrus Jones who bill drafted?

I really thought we were trading up to 10 to grab Rosen, but Arizona beat us to it.

No . Hightower at this point of his career you can't trust to stay healthy. What happened to Cyrus Jones who bill drafted?

Really? Cyrus Jones? Elandon Roberts has contributed at LB more than Jones at CB. Literally every non rookie LB on our team has contributed more than Cyrus Jones.

And Hightower has missed playoff games just one time in his career, this past season. Yet somehow him having a season ending injury has been spun by many into him being a lock to be out next January.

Damien Woody was pretty good as a rookie and I’d take that Damien Woody over Andrews, who has been not bad but not great.
Damien Woody could not shotgun snap if his life depended on it. He was so bad he had to move to Guard when they had to work out of the shotgun.

Nope. They likely would have given number 23 and 63. It was only a couple of spots

OK, 63 is right on draft value, but you have to have a partner. Buffalo pick him at 16 because why wanted him on their team.
15 was Miller. If we traded to 15, we'd probably have picked Miller.
13 1n 14 were the NT's who both teams wanted.

IMHO, Belichick got who he wanted: Wynn. If he would have traded up, it would have been for Miller.

Damien Woody could not shotgun snap if his life depended on it. He was so bad he had to move to Guard when they had to work out of the shotgun.
I agree that Woody couldn't shot gun snap. However, he was a very good center and guard. Obviously, this lack was a flaw, but not a fatal one. We got some very good play out of Woody.

Kiper, McShay and A.J. Green

Pats talk starts 7:10 in. Kiper really liked what the Pats did, for what that’s worth.

More interesting to me was Schefty saying that the Pats weren’t picking Evans even if he was there at 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back