PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Need New Scouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the NFL, it's rare to find situations where you can spend years bringing along a low round conversion prospect.

It's really an anomaly they spent that long developing him. How did they see what he'd become?

It's really an anomaly they spent that long developing him. How did they see what he'd become?

I think he flashed well enough when Welker was out that they saw what could be. Whether that's the decision point or not, I have no idea. My guess is that his play during that stretch solidified what they already felt.

I distinctly remember, in the early years of the squirrel, being less than enthused whenever he entered the lineup. I remember thinking, "Man, this Edelman guy, I don't know..." Needless to say, we don't have five years to develop a wideout at this juncture.

This seems to be another veiled attempt to criticize the drafting Harry, who was injured most of the year, have contended all along lets not judge him until Jan of 2021.

I thought the reasoning was not only because he looked good at Az. but because a 6'4" they may have thought he could in someway help replace Gronk..

The Jury should still be deliberating on Harry.. too soon to tell.

The Steelers find receivers because they spend a lot of draft capital on receivers. Remember Sammie Coates? Dri Archer? Limas Sweed? Markus Wheaton? Willie Reid, Fred Gibson... The Steelers have had more busts at receiver in the first 4 than the Patriots have over the last decade. They also have more hits because they use more picks there. (And, yeah, hitting on an Antonio Brown in round 6, like Edelman, makes up for a lot of crappy picks.)

First off, Dri Archer was a RB who returned KO and punts for Pitt. WRs do not have 1400 rushing yards in their college junior season. Reevaluating the Pittsburgh Steelers 2014 draft class

Secondly, Edelman was a QB. It took him 4 years to pay dividends at WR for NE.He bounced around at other positions before settling at WR. The premise for this post is that Brady does not have 4 year to develop a WR. Too much time has been wasted already. The Pats need drafted WRs who can step in and play day 1.

STEELERS -------------------------------------PATRIOTS
2019 Dionte Johnson 3 #66.....................K Harry 1 #32
2018 James Washington 2 # 60................Braxton Berrios 6 #210
2017 JuJu Smith 2 #62..............................None
2016 Demarcus Ayers 7 #229...................Malcolm Mitchell 4 #112 Devin Lucien 7 #225
2015 Sammie Coates 3 #87......................None
2014 Martavius Bryant 4 #118.................Jeremy Gallon 7 #244
2013 Markus Wheaton 3 #79...................Aaron Dobson 2 #59 Josh Boyce 4 #102
2012 Tony Clemons 7 #231......................Jeremy Ebert 7 #235
2011 None..................................................None

The subtotal at this juncture is

Pitt drafted 8 WRs that cost 2 - 2nd, 3 - 3rd, 1 - 4th, 2 -7th.
NE drafted 8 WRs that cost 1 - 1st, 1 - 2nd, 2 - 4th, 1 - 6th, 3 - 7th

2010 Emanuel Sanders 3 #82..................................Taylor Price 3 #90
2010 Antonio Brown 6 #195
2009 Mike Wallace 3 #84........................................Brandon Tate 3 #83
2008 Limas Sweed 2 #53.........................................Mathew Slater 5 #153
2007 Dallas Baker 7 #227........................................None
2006 Santonio Holmes 1 #25..................................Chad Jackson 2 #36
2005 Fred Gibson 4 #131........................................None
2004 None...............................................................PK Sam 5 #233
2003 None...............................................................Bethel Johnson 2 #45
2002 Antwaan Randle 2 #62...................................Deon Branch 2 #65 David Givens 7 #244
2001 Chris Taylor 7 #218.........................................None
2000 Plaxico Burress 1 #8.......................................None
2000 Danny Farmer 4 #103

The subtotal here is
Pitt drafted 11 WRs at a cost of 2 - 1st, 2 - 2nd, 2 - 3rd, 2 - 4th, 1 - 6th, 2 - 7th.
NE drafted 8 WRs at a cost of 3 - 2nd, 2 - 3rd, 2 - 5th, 1 - 7th

In 20 years Pitt has drafted 19 WRs and NE has drafted 17 WRs. Not the variance that you claim. Pitt has spent higher draft capital 3 - 1sts and 3 - 2nds, but also has had more to show for it - Holmes, Burress, JuJu and Randle.

NE has spent high draft capital too 1 - 1st, 4 - 2nds. Deon Branch without a doubt was a great pick.

Last edited:
How in the **** am I troll? There is no reading in between the lines or in context of my post. Your just mad that I made a post that clearly challenges your beliefs because you've been brainwashed to believe everything your government tells you about history

I'm a neo nazi because I looked at the war and true facts from another point of view and not the winners side? Are you stupid?

Its amazing how pathetic humans can be when someone challenges their beliefs.

You need to get away from the people who are teaching you this hate while you can.

There is still time for you.

First off, Dri Archer was a RB who returned KO and punts for Pitt. WRs do not have 1400 rushing yards in their college junior season. Reevaluating the Pittsburgh Steelers 2014 draft class

Secondly, Edelman was a QB. It took him 4 years to pay dividends at WR for NE.He bounced around at other positions before settling at WR. The premise for this post is that Brady does not have 4 year to develop a WR. Too much time has been wasted already. The Pats need drafted WRs who can step in and play day 1.

STEELERS -------------------------------------PATRIOTS
2019 Dionte Johnson 3 #66.....................K Harry 1 #32
2018 James Washington 2 # 60................Braxton Berrios 6 #210
2017 JuJu Smith 2 #62..............................None
2016 Demarcus Ayers 7 #229...................Malcolm Mitchell 4 #112 Devin Lucien 7 #225
2015 Sammie Coates 3 #87......................None
2014 Martavius Bryant 4 #118.................Jeremy Gallon 7 #244
2013 Markus Wheaton 3 #79...................Aaron Dobson 2 #59 Josh Boyce 4 #102
2012 Tony Clemons 7 #231......................Jeremy Ebert 7 #235
2011 None..................................................None

The subtotal at this juncture is

Pitt drafted 8 WRs that cost 2 - 2nd, 3 - 3rd, 1 - 4th, 2 -7th.
NE drafted 8 WRs that cost 1 - 1st, 1 - 2nd, 2 - 4th, 1 - 6th, 3 - 7th

2010 Emanuel Sanders 3 #82..................................Taylor Price 3 #90
2010 Antonio Brown 6 #195
2009 Mike Wallace 3 #84........................................Brandon Tate 3 #83
2008 Limas Sweed 2 #53.........................................Mathew Slater 5 #153
2007 Dallas Baker 7 #227........................................None
2006 Santonio Holmes 1 #25..................................Chad Jackson 2 #36
2005 Fred Gibson 4 #131........................................None
2004 None...............................................................PK Sam 5 #233
2003 None...............................................................Bethel Johnson 2 #45
2002 Antwaan Randle 2 #62...................................Deon Branch 2 #65 David Givens 7 #244
2001 Chris Taylor 7 #218.........................................None
2000 Plaxico Burress 1 #8.......................................None
2000 Danny Farmer 4 #103

The subtotal here is
Pitt drafted 11 WRs at a cost of 2 - 1st, 2 - 2nd, 2 - 3rd, 2 - 4th, 1 - 6th, 2 - 7th.
NE drafted 9 WRs at a cost of 3 - 2nd, 2 - 3rd, 2 - 5th, 1 - 7th

In 20 years Pitt has drafted 19 WRs and NE has drafted 17 WRs. Not the variance that you claim. Pitt has spent higher draft capital 3 - 1sts and 3 - 2nds, but also has had more to show for it - Holmes, Burress, JuJu and Randle.

NE has spent high draft capital too 1 - 1st, 4 - 2nds. Deon Branch without a doubt was a great pick.

5th to 7th round picks are effectively lottery tickets. You just shouldn't consider them in anything. You of course want to hit on a few, but the rate for a player ever really making it from those rounds is like 5 percent.

Always believed the draft is 4 rounds and taking a shot after that.

You're off by I'm gonna say, 128 picks.

(Said Ki-jana Carter, Ryan Leaf, and about a million other high draft pick busts.)

How in the **** am I troll? There is no reading in between the lines or in context of my post. Your just mad that I made a post that clearly challenges your beliefs because you've been brainwashed to believe everything your government tells you about history

I'm a neo nazi because I looked at the war and true facts from another point of view and not the winners side? Are you stupid?

Its amazing how pathetic humans can be when someone challenges their beliefs.

@Ian
@Ross12
@ashley1992
there was a call for this guy to be banned, and god forbid any of us feel we can "force your hand," but if you're waiting for more people to be disgusted, I didn't bother with weighing in last night, but I'm glad to now. This is a holocaust denier or minimizer who maintains that "the Jews" are to blame for quite a few creatively woven stories that unfortunately take an anti-semitic filter to get anywhere near believing, never mind peddling. I don't think we need him around trying to convince us that the Nazis were the good guys any more than we need some klanner running around preaching how great slaves had it in America.

Just one member's opinion of course... all these calls are up to you guys.

(I just didn't expect to see him still up and posting after the original rant)

Maybe they kept him because of his ability to run back kicks/punts.

You need to get away from the people who are teaching you this hate while you can.

President Eisenhower saw this type of ignorance coming. He insisted on taking pictures of the concentration camps, bodies and all, and also had the local citizens brought in to see what happened. He accurately predicted that someday there would be people who would try to deny what took place.

So there are multiple articles on the home page here about how our scouts are raving about a 5'10" receiver from SMU. Are these the same scouts that led us to pick Harry over D.K. Metcalf, A.J. Brown, Deebo Samuel, and Mecole Hardman a few months ago?

This may seem like an oversimplification, but I would think that people getting paid money to be experts on talent could find the common thread among the four players listed above: they all played in a league with competition significantly above the PAC12, said league being the SEC. So now the same scouts that botched our first-round pick seem enamored with a receiver that plays in the AAC.

Granted, we have taken SEC players, and players from other top Power-Five conferences, that ended up not setting the world on fire. But one would think (and hope) that the level of competition a player saw in college would at least factor in even just a little bit when considering whether to take that player versus another player who had tougher competition week in and week out. Call me crazy.
How dare they not know the guy who was never injured in college would get injured his rookie year. Off with their heads.

So I just read another article on the SMU wideout. See if this sounds familiar: he's being praised for being great at fighting for contested balls; the article notes that he will need to work on his explosiveness in order to become a downfield threat.

Doesn't that describe to the letter the receiver we took in lieu of Brown or Metcalf or Hardeman or Samuel? We need new scouts. If it was even 50.00001% our scouts and 49.99999% BB and Caserio on the Harry decision, our entire scouting department should be shown the door post haste and someone, anyone, else hired.
Maybe we should just blow up the entire organization.
Why should we have to put up with a 12-4 division winning first round loss season following only 6 champions and 9 sbs in 18 years.
Clearly these people have no idea what they are doing and we should go get the front office of the Jets, browns, chargers, etc so we can see real success.

Imagine if the WRs all had to go through what Edelman had to. Like FIVE years of not being a 1, 2, 3, or 4 WR while following Brady around hoping to work out for him, all while earning his keep on special teams and even little defense. What other WR gets five years to figure it out??

(He's the reigning super bowl MVP to boot)
He wasn’t just sitting around waiting to play. He was the teams punt returner pretty much right off the bat and was the teams 4th/5th receiving option until they needed him to step up in 2013.

President Eisenhower saw this type of ignorance coming. He insisted on taking pictures of the concentration camps, bodies and all, and also had the local citizens brought in to see what happened. He accurately predicted that someday there would be people who would try to deny what took place.

These young white males are being taught this by underground groups.

Why should we have to put up with a 12-4 division winning first round loss season following only 6 champions and 9 sbs in 18 years.
Clearly these people have no idea what they are doing and we should go get the front office of the Jets, browns, chargers, etc so we can see real success.

Ive been waiting for the 6 lombardi bandwagon.

Just because Tom Goat Brady bailed the Pats out that does not excuse the years of 5hitty drafting.

Naaahhh....I don’t think that’s what most people believe. But actually in the 2018 offseason, I had some posts similar to the ones you are seeing now, which was that basically this was unsustainable due to some very dry drafts and likely to start having big effects in a few years when a bunch of aging veterans retire or move on. The Patriots have built a nearly impossible standard of excellence, and a major component is having a lot of solid contributors on rookie contracts (just like with every team, the draft is everything.). It may be a few rocky years talent-wise as the team seeks to do what they almost miraculously did in 2010 and continued through roughly 2014 before starting to get some bad draft returns. No team can possibly win at the draft year after year and avoid dry spells like this. Patriots in the mid-late 2000s had a similar dry spell.

Thanks man. I know we clash sometimes (more often than not in a funny way), but you’re a stand up guy when it matters.

How dare they not know the guy who was never injured in college would get injured his rookie year. Off with their heads.

And the others?

How could BB know that Chad Jackson needed 4 years to learn the NE playbook. Imagine Charlie Weis surprise when Bethel Johnson could not spell Dog after they have him the D and G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes