PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We have basically clinched the bye week already (Seed 2 minimum)

Great to hear, guess we should just tell the Texans to turn the plane around this weekend because they suck!

they got the 2 seed in 2015. that 2 seed was essentially guaranteed minimum seed before that season even started. thank you for proving my point though.
The Patriots are one of the best teams in the NFL. Saying they are "guaranteed" being one of the top-2 teams in the AFC is a prediction, not graduate level calculus.

The Patriots are one of the best teams in the NFL. Saying they are "guaranteed" being one of the top-2 teams in the AFC is a prediction, not graduate level calculus.
It is just a math problem actually. Of course they are great, that is part of the Math problem. (Wins) and the Logic comes in because of the division placement of the only real competition. SEVEN years in a row now going on 8. The math proves out.

You need to open a dictionary, those words don't mean what you think they mean.
giphy.gif

It is just a math problem actually. Of course they are great, that is part of the Math problem. (Wins) and the Logic comes in because of the division placement of the only real competition. SEVEN years in a row now going on 8. The math proves out.
You have observed the Patriots have been #2 seed or higher for 7 consecutive years, and you predict they will do so again this year.

Gee, thanks for the brilliant math lesson, Professor. :rolleyes:

You have observed the Patriots have been #2 seed or higher for 7 consecutive years, and you predict they will do so again this year.

Gee, thanks for the brilliant math lesson, Professor. :rolleyes:
its math AND logic.. just want to be clear

I majored in mathematics. I am a fellow in the Society of Actuaries who works on mathematical, statistical, and financial problems daily for my clients. Except for right now where I'm goofing off.....

"The math proves out," does not mean what you think it means. There are hundreds of scenarios where the Patriots don't even make the playoffs, let alone have the #2 seed guaranteed. Being the #2 seed or better might be the most probable outcome. But, as the GIF you've used twice already in this thread shows, the most probable outcome is not synonymous with a guaranteed outcome.

I majored in mathematics. I am a fellow in the Society of Actuaries who works on mathematical, statistical, and financial problems daily for my clients. Except for right now where I'm goofing off.....

"The math proves out," does not mean what you think it means. There are hundreds of scenarios where the Patriots don't even make the playoffs, let alone have the #2 seed guaranteed. Being the #2 seed or better might be the most probable outcome. But, as the GIF you've used twice already in this thread shows, the most probable outcome is not synonymous with a guaranteed outcome.

I agree. I did say "basically" implying a "hint" of sarcasm. I respect your mathematical background greatly, sincerely, as I love math.

Yes, I think we'll do well, but how is your hypothesis mathematically confirmed? I can buy the logic that other teams/divisions are weaker, and that if we continue with the same trend we've shown in previous years, we'll finish with a strong enough record to secure a playoff spot, but the only numbers that we have to consider currently is a 1-1 record. Somehow, I don't think .500 = 2nd seed, but my understanding of advanced mathematics is admittedly rusty.

Last edited:
I can buy the logic that other teams/divisions are weaker,
it is actually because of two divisions are STRONGER not weaker. One division is weaker, or at least likely to producer a division winner with weaker record. We only are in competition with TWO teams to get 1 of the top two seeds. (AFCW winner and AFCN winner)

I outline the requirements in the OP. I am being sarcastic regarding math and logic, however it is a conceptually accurate way to look it. The are TWO main reasons the Pats have had the first round bye 6 years in a row. The main reason is a combination of how good we are and how our primary competition for those top 2 seeds are in other divisions, we never have an internal competitor.

And two, the SOUTH always sucks bad enough that the other team to get a bye has always been from either the West or the North, for the past 6 seasons straight. Statistics and probabilities of all those facts combined, make the 2 seed a near lock every year.

Just lock this biotch of a thread

Dear Football Gods,

Please do not punish my beloved Patriots for this piece of hubris.

Yours worshipfully,

Mike
All of this is true for the 2018 season and foreseeable future as well.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back