PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are posted as the #2 likely suspect for Lamar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody wants Jackson here more than me but I doubt it's happening if RKK was so public about it.

People are blowing Jackson's injuries way overboard. You can't operate like and he's been hurt in the pocket. It happens. Scared money don't make money. Again you can't operate worrying if football players are going to get hurt. And btw our own Mac was hurt and out last year. If he missed 3-4 games this year, is he injury prone???

If Mac + 14 gets you Lamar you have to consider it. You'd be extremely dumb not too and yes obviously you're paying him. Again some of you think you're too clever when it comes to spending. You're not getting elite players without paying them and gods knows this team needs elite players.

Not happening though. I would ****in torture some of you guys if it did and the gods won't give this Irishman the satisfaction of being right all the time.

That sounds like a go ahead from Kraft, if not even a strong endorsement of trading for Lamar. I mean if Kraft were behind Mac he would have replied "we're all set at quarterback." Kraft watches the games, he sees Mac's limitations.

Belichick needs to make this happen right ****ing now!! I will thoroughly enjoy watching the three quarters of the board who currently hates Lamar flip-flop like Chicago politicians.

Patsfans.com pre Jackson: "He's so overrated! He can't throw and he's just a running back".

Patsfans.com post trade for Jackson: "Wow, what a move by Bill! He's a top QB in this league. Did you see what he did in 2019? He'll be amazing here!"
He wasn't bad the following year either. 99.9% of QB "regress" after an MVP season but 64% 26/9 isn't bad at all considering what he was working with.

Comments:

1.) Put me down for "Thanks, but no thanks".

2.) Reasons: The Ravens would want 2 first rounders on the table before they would even start to talk with us, Lamar will need to be paid...maybe he doesn't want DeShaun Watson money...but whatever he wants will be A LOT of money...dunno if he is even worth whatever he wants given his injury history as well as his playing style being susceptible to injuries...

3.) That being said...Lamar would instantly change our Vegas 70-1 odds to something like 15-1 overnight and we do have the personnel to make it work: Solid D, Good RB, Good possession receivers, etc..

4.) Lamar is a better QB/athlete than Jones, but I think Jones has more upside as a pocket passer going forward. Nonetheless, give me 2 more years of Jones on a rookie deal and two first rounders over Lamar.

That sounds like a go ahead from Kraft, if not even a strong endorsement of trading for Lamar. I mean if Kraft were behind Mac he would have replied "we're all set at quarterback." Kraft watches the games, he sees Mac's limitations.

Belichick needs to make this happen right ****ing now!! I will thoroughly enjoy watching the three quarters of the board who currently hates Lamar flip-flop like Chicago politicians.
I guess it’s a good time to go on record as being opposed to it, then.

Patsfans.com pre Jackson: "He's so overrated! He can't throw and he's just a running back".

Patsfans.com post trade for Jackson: "Wow, what a move by Bill! He's a top QB in this league. Did you see what he did in 2019? He'll be amazing here!"
Patsfans bending with the prevailing winds.

Nobody wants Jackson here more than me but I doubt it's happening if RKK was so public about it.

People are blowing Jackson's injuries way overboard. You can't operate like and he's been hurt in the pocket. It happens. Scared money don't make money. Again you can't operate worrying if football players are going to get hurt. And btw our own Mac was hurt and out last year. If he missed 3-4 games this year, is he injury prone???

If Mac + 14 gets you Lamar you have to consider it. You'd be extremely dumb not too and yes obviously you're paying him. Again some of you think you're too clever when it comes to spending. You're not getting elite players without paying them and gods knows this team needs elite players.

Not happening though. I would ****in torture some of you guys if it did and the gods won't give this Irishman the satisfaction of being right all the time.

I think you are right but BK is not going to sign a $250M guaranteed check. Some NFL owners are richer than others. That is why BK said it was BB's decision - duck and run.

I have screenshots ready if the Patriots do end up getting him and he plays well for us loo

He'd be great in a Cordarelle Patterson role but infinitely too expensive to justify that usage.

I’d love him here, but this could also be a ploy by Jackson to try to manipulate the Ravens into thinking he’d join a rival and make them an instant contender.

Never thought about Mac + 14. I'd actually make that trade personally... I like Lamar and think he'd be a pretty solid fit, I personally feel like we haven't yet seen him at his best. As @crawhammer points out, it is a little weird to me that Kraft is saying "that's up to Bill" and not "Mac Jones is our guy!"

People saying we can't afford him, or won't pay him...

It's funny how we literally have ZERO elite offensive players rostered as of right now. Sure, some good players, but no elite game-changers is fair to say I think.

So if we really can't afford to sign just ONE elite weapon... we really need a new contract negotiator even more than we do elite players!

Alright, I feel like if there's one person that could give it to me straight, it's you: how could we onboard Lamar, with what he is hunting for, and still put together the personnel to run an offense suited to his strengths?

He would be better than Mac, even in our current offense. However, I am under the belief that you'd still need to retool the offense to his strengths (you want the max out the value you get out of him). Am I incorrect?

I could be wrong - and that'd do a lot to help me understand why we keep getting mentioned as suitors.

It's called being a fan -- something our trolls have forgotten. Of course true fans will be excited and make the best of signing Lamar -- even if they have prior doubts.

If we do go this route, I think we need to retool the offense around Lamar and secure backups with the same style of play. I'm not saying Kaepernick but that would be a bold move. And they would definitely draft a multi-threat QB or too to mitigate the risk of Jackson falling off due to cumulative wear and tear.

Never thought about Mac + 14. I'd actually make that trade personally... I like Lamar and think he'd be a pretty solid fit, I personally feel like we haven't yet seen him at his best. As @crawhammer points out, it is a little weird to me that Kraft is saying "that's up to Bill" and not "Mac Jones is our guy!"
Mac + #14 for LJ and a per year cap charge of $30m AAV w/ and out after 3 years and incentives contract based on wins, awards, stats and % snaps = YES

Mac + #14 for LJ for a per year cap charge of $45m AAV/$200m guaranteed = Absolutely not.

You keep ignoring that the NFL lifetime of a RB is vastly less than that of a QB. Your derided "pocket QB"s can play effectively with injuries that will sideline or cripple a RB. That's why in the NFL the running QB has never beaten out the pocket QB because in the end they are all pocket QB's or they are out of the league.

That said, I'd be excited about Lamar being here and agree that while he's healthy we'd be an instant contender. But I'd hope BB would secure an appropriate backup with a similar style and draft the best multi-threat QB available.

You keep ignoring that the NFL lifetime of a RB is vastly less than that of a QB. Your derided "pocket QB"s can play effectively with injuries that will sideline or cripple a RB. That's why in the NFL the running QB has never beaten out the pocket QB because in the end they are all pocket QB's or they are out of the league.

That said, I'd be excited about Lamar being here and agree that while he's healthy we'd be an instant contender. But I'd hope BB would secure an appropriate backup with a similar style and draft the best multi-threat QB available.
There's absolutely 10000% ZERO data to support the claim that "running QB's" or "QB's who run" get hurt easier, more often or at a higher rate than "pocket QB's."

That's not my opinion or a opinion. It's a fact.

Honestly unless you have any new info there's nothing I haven't seen, read at least twice on the subject. And with respect I'm just not concerned with most posters opinions on the subject. The bias is incredible and most of that crew isn't exactly the most insightful.

I'd love to hear some hard data if you have any but again there's nothing to support that claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes