PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are on to Miami: Official week 1 pregame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. The various mediots thrive on creating narratives based on various perceptions that are easy to levearge thus monetize, rather than actual confirmed facts.
The longtime negative media game -- repeated by our house trolls -- is that if you are negative about the home team you really can't go wrong: if the team does well, all is forgotten and forgiven in the general euphoria, but if the team does poorly, well, they told us so. And keep in mind that 31/32 teams in the league will eventually end up being disappointing, so the trolls almost always get the last word.

Bunch of headline generating negative Nancies in the Boston & National sports media....

Eff em' all!

Fish fry time, baby!!!

Can we stop the run?
Can we run the ball?
Who wins the turnover battle?

I think we won’t be able to stop the run. So we’ll likely lose.

Getting everyone ready for a Tuesday and catching up on a new signing from yesterday:

Can we stop the run?
Can we run the ball?

I think we won’t be able to stop the run. So we’ll likely lose.
Pats can stop the run. They can run power.

Hopefully they can cover the Dolphin receivers.

not really bulletin board material

Agreed. I read it more as, "Dude, this heat sucks no matter what. Four days won't make you love it." But hey, I'm also just speculating based on a tweet so who knows.

Hopefully the gimmick plays left with McDaniels.

Don't need to see wildcats or Bourne throwing passes I want to see plays that highlight our QB and his progress.

Can we stop the run?
Can we run the ball?
With the notable exception of the Steven Jackson game (wasn't that Miami as well?), do the Patriots traditionally keep doing something that doesn't work throughout a game (unless of course nothing is working and they have had those games too) or that the team shows they have not grasped yet?

I don't expect to see a huge amount of outside zone runs. Will they keep practicing and adding more as the season progresses? Probably. If the first two go for negative yards, I'd expect more power running plays instead that were successful in the preseason. They were a GREAT running team last year (top ten in yards and YPC) with most of those players returning so it seems to be just worry about the zone system versus actual skill and ability when there's nothing indicating the zone system is all they're going to run this year.

As for stopping the run - it comes to the edge play and the second level. That was the struggle more than Godchaux last year - run defense is the epitome of team skill and effort with the DL occupying as much gap as possible with the second level filling quickly. While I won't say the gap management last year was great (it wasn't) it also wasn't terrible. When paired with inability to set the edge and LBs that simply were either slow or unable to make the proper fills of those gaps especially when they broke down at the end of the season and the team result wasn't stellar.

Turnovers is interesting. They Were #8 in differential last year (+7). That was with JC however who had 8 of their 23 INTs (a full 1/3d). Dolphins were middle of the pack at #17 (0) - split across INTs and FUM. So it would seem on the surface a "pick em" in this category.

I would counter that there are myriad other questions about the team that also apply. Is the OL healthy and able to protect? If Mac is hit early, he may regress into his "tunneling" (a military term where you lose broad situational awareness and focus on a very small area of the battlefield) that hurt him last year where his internal clock was too fast and he made poor decisions. Can they either confuse Tua or slow the WRs from their routes enough to do the same to him conversely? Is Barmore + Judon enough in the pass rush? There are a lot of rookies on this team - are they ready?

In other words, this is a typical first game in today's NFL "hurry up" preseason world. The fans don't know very much, haven't seen very much, and have very little data to go on. So we are all relying on a notoriously agenda driven media (clicks vs data provision) versus our own experience.

With the notable exception of the Steven Jackson game (wasn't that Miami as well?), do the Patriots traditionally keep doing something that doesn't work throughout a game (unless of course nothing is working and they have had those games too) or that the team shows they have not grasped yet?

I don't expect to see a huge amount of outside zone runs. Will they keep practicing and adding more as the season progresses? Probably. If the first two go for negative yards, I'd expect more power running plays instead that were successful in the preseason. They were a GREAT running team last year (top ten in yards and YPC) with most of those players returning so it seems to be just worry about the zone system versus actual skill and ability when there's nothing indicating the zone system is all they're going to run this year.

As for stopping the run - it comes to the edge play and the second level. That was the struggle more than Godchaux last year - run defense is the epitome of team skill and effort with the DL occupying as much gap as possible with the second level filling quickly. While I won't say the gap management last year was great (it wasn't) it also wasn't terrible. When paired with inability to set the edge and LBs that simply were either slow or unable to make the proper fills of those gaps especially when they broke down at the end of the season and the team result wasn't stellar.

Turnovers is interesting. They Were #8 in differential last year (+7). That was with JC however who had 8 of their 23 INTs (a full 1/3d). Dolphins were middle of the pack at #17 (0) - split across INTs and FUM. So it would seem on the surface a "pick em" in this category.

I would counter that there are myriad other questions about the team that also apply. Is the OL healthy and able to protect? If Mac is hit early, he may regress into his "tunneling" (a military term where you lose broad situational awareness and focus on a very small area of the battlefield) that hurt him last year where his internal clock was too fast and he made poor decisions. Can they either confuse Tua or slow the WRs from their routes enough to do the same to him conversely? Is Barmore + Judon enough in the pass rush? There are a lot of rookies on this team - are they ready?
I expect to see a lot of Pats dime D 3 cbs 3 safeties. This serves 3 purposes:
1. Coverage vs.their speedy wrs
2. Coverage vs.Tua running
3. Better run defense
Better run defense since the problem last year was not the dl-Godchaux is solid vs. the run and I expect year 2 Barmore to be much improved in that area. The problem was slow lbs. In dime the lbs should be Bentley and Wilson plus one of Duggar or Phillips which gives them a speed boost. As you mentioned,improvement on the edge would help. That means Judon doing better job setting the edge. We'll see.
You asked if Judon+Barmore is enough passrush? What about Jennings,Wise and Uche who all looked strong and improved in preseason? Yeah its preseason but those 3 were consistent throughout the summer so I expect a better passrush this year.
But I expect a sloppy game from both teams. Pats can't game plan with certainty vs. McDaniel. But neither can Miami vs. Pats O. Typical opener. Just hope they make more mistakes than us

The longtime negative media game -- repeated by our house trolls -- is that if you are negative about the home team you really can't go wrong: if the team does well, all is forgotten and forgiven in the general euphoria, but if the team does poorly, well, they told us so. And keep in mind that 31/32 teams in the league will eventually end up being disappointing, so the trolls almost always get the last word.
Relative to the "House Trolls", I enjoy when I see the board give No Reply or response to the negative drivel of the well known trolls and just let those particular posts die like farts in the wind.

Last edited:
My expectation is that the missing transaction is Ferentz getting promoted to the roster.

Last year, didn't they just go with 52 on the roster some weeks?

EDIT - didn't realize there are too many on practice squad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back