PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are on to Miami: Official week 1 pregame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two more things I will be looking for on Sunday:

1. How much do Bourne play?
2. Who starts opposite Bentley at MLB?

While we're on offense I'll be watching our OL every chance I get, from snap to whistle...

While we're on defense I'll be looking to see if there's anybody at all who can provide disruption besides Judon & Barmore...

If you are to read the Pats leaning Globe this AM, no need to play this game on Sunday, just chalk up the loss and move on.

These folks who used to support BB are now championing the donning of pitchforks for BB and his football ineptitude.

If you are to read the Pats leaning Globe this AM, no need to play this game on Sunday, just chalk up the loss and move on.

These folks who used to support BB are now championing the donning of pitchforks for BB and his football ineptitude.
They never championed BB. They are just there to sell newspapers, or get clicks.

I decided to re-watch the week 17 and the wild card weekend no-punt losses to the Bills last night after watching the Bills/Rams game. Here's what I saw:

Week 17 vs. Bills:

- They didn't punt at all, but we held them to 4th and goal on the first two drives. Results: TD and FG. 5 points per drive.

- Down 10-7, Mac tosses an interception (high throw to Harry that was tipped to Hyde). Bills set up shop on the Pats 33.

- We actually stop them on the 1 yard line. So, the Bills have averaged 3.3 points on their first 3 drives here with three 4th and goal scenarios.

- We move the ball 7 yards before punting back to our 42 yard line where the Bulls take over after a 15 yard return.

- We get them in 4th and 7 before Barmore gets a penalty. Then the Bills covert a 4th and 2. The Bills score on this drive to go up 17-7.

- The Pats move the ball from their 25 to the 40 where we have a 2nd and 3 before Trent Brown gets a unsportsmanlike 15 yard penalty. We don't convert and punt it away...the Bills run out of time. Half time.

- The Bills open the 2nd half with a 6 minute drive for a figgie. Isaiah McKenzie was killing us on that drive for 9 yards (Bryant/Philips), 11 yards (Mills), and 18 yards (Bryant with Mills holding penalty declined).McKenize would finish the game with 12 targets, 11 recs, 125 yards, and a TD.

- We then score to pull within 14-20 and a lot of time left. On this drive, Mac almost loses a snap. Mac goes 5/7 for 35ish yards on this drive and lets Harris do most of the work with 5 rushes for 34 yards and a TD. Mac also runs for 6 yards to convert a 4th and 1...and hits Meyers on 4th and 3 on the Bills 10 yard line.

- The Bills then score at the start of the 4th and fail the two point attempt to go up 26-14. We come back and score a TD on the drive where Matt Milano pulls down Mac OOB, but we got an off setting penalty. 26-21 Bills with 7:37 remaining in the game.

- The Bills score a TD on a drive that included a 17 yard completion to McKenize vs. Bryant on 3rd and 10; an 8 yard Allen run on 4th and 1; an Allen shovel pass to Diggs for 19 yards on 3rd and 10; and another shovel pass to Knox for a 2 yard TD on 2nd and goal. 33-21 Bills with 2:30 remaining and the game is over at this point.

Wild card weekend @ Bills:

- Bills score on the first drive with little resistance (that being a 3rd and 3 on the Pats 24 where DMac tackles Allen after he slips out for 15 yards).

- Mac throws an interception from the Bills 34 on first and 10. Hyde made a great play...but Mac had momentum at the time after scrambling for 16 on 3rd and 10.

- Bills score on the next drive with a Singletary 6 yard carry on 3rd and 1 from the Pats 47 and an Allen 5 yard rush on 3rd and 4 from the Pats 16. 14-0 Bills.

- We run it 3x and punt on the next drive. Then the Bills went heavy with Singletary running for 9 yards; 3 yards; 2 yards' 4 yards; 9 yards; 1 yard; and 3 yards for a TD. 7 rushes for 31 yards with an Allen 8 yard run in there. 20-0 Bills (blocked PAT).

- Next drive...Mac takes a bad sack for -8 yards putting us in a 3rd and 15...then a delay of game penalty makes it a 3rd and 20. We punt...the Bills score QUICKLY with strikes to McKenize and Diggs for 18 and 45 yards vs. JC Jackson...then two Allen/Singletary runs for 25 yards...27-0 Bills and the game is essentially over at the half even if we get a figgie to make it 27-3.

- 2nd half was 20-14 Bills for a final score of 47-17 and we even blocked another PAT.

Conclusions:

The wild card loss was more definitive....but the kind of game where everything snowballed as well. After watching the Rams get killed with the Bills' short passing game last night...we had similar problems. Although, Jalen Ramsey allowing 6/7 124 yards and TD with a QB rating of 158.3 is an outlier for sure.....

The thing I am seeing is that our DB's are getting killed against their WR's. I think we gotta play more zone against the Bills...something like cover 3 with safeties in the middle and dare them to run the ball on our sub packages. I'd like to see us bracket Allen and keep him in the pocket as well.

Also, we had trouble against their D-Line. Unable to consistently get 4 yards on the ground. Might be why we are experimenting with zone blocking and maybe some RPO plays.

Despite the wild card loss....I am pretty confident in the Pats' offense this year after rewatching the Bucs, Cowboys, @Chargers, Bills, and @ Bills games the last 2 days. There is definitely a FINE LINE BETWEEN WINNING AND LOSING IN THE NFL.

Up next on my watch list....Superbowl 51, baby! Then I'll delete it forever.......
You forgot about the dropped JC Jackson INT during the Bills drive while leading 26-21. That really really hurt. Not saying that the Pats would end up winning, but that would've dramatically increased the odds.

Stevenson next man up... for Montgomery..... What the hell? There is an argument that Stevenson should be the guy over Harris. Honestly how does Lazar have a job? It was pretty much predicted Stevenson would probably see an increase in the passing game this year after he went 14 rec (on 18 targets) for 130 yards. People just assumed because he was a rookie playing with a rookie QB that he probably wouldn't be featured in the pass game his 1st year.

The bow-tied bum-kissers formerly of Morrissey Boulevard haven't supported the Pats since John Henry bought the Glob.

Stevenson next man up... for Montgomery..... What the hell? There is an argument that Stevenson should be the guy over Harris. Honestly how does Lazar have a job? It was pretty much predicted Stevenson would probably see an increase in the passing game this year after he went 14 rec (on 18 targets) for 130 yards. People just assumed because he was a rookie playing with a rookie QB that he probably wouldn't be featured in the pass game his 1st year.
The tweet is a little misleading, if you read the article he infers that Stevenson would get increased snaps (not that he's a glorified backup) as a result of Montgomery being out: "the top candidate to remain on the field for passing downs is second-year running back Rhamondre Stevenson."

The key of the game is pass rushing Tua. He can be lethal if given time, with those weapons.

Rattled, he quickly becomes Chad Pennington post shoulder surgery.

Can the duo of Uche/Anfernee Jennings get past their OT? How will Judon do against top tier OT FA Terron Armistead?

Advantage Phins.

And it’s a lot easier to find a starter at LG than it is to find a bona fide edge pass rusher opposite Judon. A to-do task that the Patriots never addressed.
Lethal, he hasn't been lethal in a game yet. He's gotten line 150 yards a game. It's their run game and YAC I'm concerned about

The tweet is a little misleading, if you read the article he infers that Stevenson would get increased snaps (not that he's a glorified backup) as a result of Montgomery being out: "the top candidate to remain on the field for passing downs is second-year running back Rhamondre Stevenson."
It will interesting if the "series by series" approach will remain with McDaniels gone or if that's a Belichick thing especially without the truly "designated" 3d down back at this particular moment post James White.

Did you guys know the Pats didn't have anyone that recorded a 100 yard receiving game in 2021?

Mac was the 3rd most blitzed QB. Look for Miami to blitz him a ton tomorrow.

It will interesting if the "series by series" approach will remain with McDaniels gone or if that's a Belichick thing especially without the truly "designated" 3d down back at this particular moment post James White.

Did you guys know the Pats didn't have anyone that recorded a 100 yard receiving game in 2021?

Mac was the 3rd most blitzed QB. Look for Miami to blitz him a ton tomorrow.
I would like the team to move away from such hard bounded roles for the RBs, I think it makes the team too predictable. It also sets things up to have issues handling the blitz when the dedicated runner is on the field. Hopefully Harris and Stephenson will become more flexible to handle quick passes and punish teams that blitz on first and second downs or at least be able to switch to protection to free up other quick strike passes.

Nver listend to trenni much but man she hates BB for some reason

I would like the team to move away from such hard bounded roles for the RBs, I think it makes the team too predictable.
I’m not a fan of the musical chairs at RB either as it can take them out of a rhythm. Also, I think this is a Bill thing as McDaniels didn’t do musical chairs in Denver and I believe we won’t see Josh Jacobs running in and out on the field either.

It is really frustrating.

Yesterday, I was listening to a podcast about the week one matchup and they were talking about how the Pats will struggle to replace a new OC (as a negative for the Miami game without mentioning the Dolphins transitioning to a new head coach. One would think that it would be more difficult to adjust to a new head coach than a new OC.

I'm really tired of the whole Belichick didn't name an OC so we are screwed talk. Since no OC has been named and Bill hasn't been explicit about the play calling duty the media acts like there is no plan/Bill's plan for playcalling is bound to fail. It's wild that the media doesn't trust Bill's ability to put a staff together by now.

On the bright side under Belichick this team has always been at its best when they are being doubted.
I’ve been a critic of this offensive approach. I thought JM was a good OC. But I’m sick of the Puritan negativity too. I suspect some of the early dysfunction has ironed itself out and we’ll see a better performance on the field than expected.

While we're on offense I'll be watching our OL every chance I get, from snap to whistle...

While we're on defense I'll be looking to see if there's anybody at all who can provide disruption besides Judon & Barmore...
If Judon and Barmore are disruptive, I’m not sure you’re going to need much more than that. Two best D players on the field for either team tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes