PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We all want 6 but how important is it to Brady/BB/Franchise Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patriots win the SB in 17 & 18. SB 53 Patriots pound the Giants 44-3. BB & Goat retire. Beating the Giants is what's left. It would be the ultimate.

Not to mention they took roughly twice as many seasons to do it in and there were 60-75% as many teams in the league while they did it.

49ers won 5 between 81-94. They did it in a pre salary cap world. Were 5-4 in NFCCG's.

Cowboys won 5 between 1971-1995. Were 8-4 in championship games. Missed playoffs from 86-90.

Steelers won 4 titles between 74-79. Didn't win another SB till 05 season. Missed playoffs from 84-88.

Patriots won 5 SB's from 01 to 16. Made playoffs in 14 ( Missed in 02 at 9-7, 11-5 08 season) of 16 seasons. Since Kraft bought the team in 94, Patriots have made playoffs in of 19 of 23 seasons. Gone to 8 Super Bowls. Won 5 of them.

Patriots will have had a winning season in 17 straight years as of the end of 2017 ( Going on a limb they win division next year). Second only to the Cowboys 20 straight years from 66-85. May not reach Cowboys record of 20. Oh well.

In my opinion the allure of six is less about Brady or Belichick at this point. Their legacies are more than secure. Brady owns four game-winning drives in five of his Super Bowl wins. That's absurd. He already had a 10-point comeback against the best defense of the era, now overshadowed by the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history. He's set.

To me, the allure of a sixth SB, especially next year, is that it would make the post-2010 era equal to the previous decade. Winning 3 out of 4 both decades would make them the absolute team of both decades, if not the century. Furthermore, I believe this crop of players (again, from the circa. 2010 'rebuild' onwards) deserve to be fully out of the shadow of the McGinest, Bruschi, Law era. Players like McCourty, Edelman, Gronk, Amendola, Blount, etc... are no longer just 'following the footsteps' of what came before; they are their own 'era' within a greater epoch, bridged solely by the QB and coach.

In retrospect, the '07 team was really an aging core loaded up to the max for one final run, while the '11 squad was an overachieving bunch with a defense not quite ripe. All our frustration about Brady's 'prime' being 'wasted (05-13) suddenly seems moot. The team had to cycle into a new generation, and while we all could point to frustrating losses or missed opportunities, at the end of the day, by 2013 the defense had started to find its new identity, while the offense has continually evolved around Brady. That to me is the most fascinating thing about this team, how all the parts of the ships have changed over the years, how they have a chance to eclipse their own greatness from 10 years ago, and how Brady and Belichick at this point are putting an exclamation point on two decades of excellence.

At first I think there's nothing really to play for. But after hearing Tony dungy and a few other goons say that stealing signals is part of the game and that everyone was doing it, I want us to destroy every team next season. A bunch of hypocrites.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the game that puts Tom and Bill in the pro football* firmament forever and always. Anything else is gravy, and I'm glad of that because I can enjoy it without any pressure ever again :D

* I refuse to sully my post with the league name.

I feel exactly the same way: wonderful if we get more, but this was the ultimate one in which the greatest coach and greatest quarterback of all time made it official and unarguable, and did it in the most unforgettable game imaginable. The one thing you can say about a sixth would be that it would tie us with Pitt for most Super Bowl wins by a franchise (even sweeter, because we would get all ours with one QB and one coach). I absolutely think they can do it.

Obviously the first 3 were huge as that established the dynasty, Then came the quest for 4 to tie Montana and cement Brady as the GOAT for most. Also on the heels of deflategate and the first win since spygate it was a huge win for the franchise and legacy. #5 gave that separation with Brady/BB and the franchise. This is now the best dynasty in football history (SB appearances are the tie breaker). BB has 5 and Brady has 5. Now both stand alone.

So i say this in no way trying to come across as i don't want #6 but how important do you think is it? Is anything really left to prove or achieve. Sure it be fun to chase the Steelers who have 6 rings and tie them or just maybe some crazy way end with 7 (I will worry about getting in position to get 6 first).

However they don't seem as important miles stones as the 4th and 5th were at least to me. Again I am not saying I don't care about #6 cause I damn well do but are the story lines running out here?

Personally I think if we do get #6 then #7 is a much better story line.
More is better.

One thing that goes overlooked is that we did all of this during the salary cap era. The Steelers, Cowboys, 49ers teams had it much easier when it came to $$ and managing the rosters.
I don't think that gets overlooked at all. It seems like they mention it every time they talk about the New England dynasty.

Well I hate to look more than 1 super bowl ahead particularly when not on the door step of winning another but to me 7 would be more important than 6. There is only 1 record left to break and it requires 7. And tying a record is good but breaking it is the whole point :p
I am greedy. A three peat to get to 7 would be nice, and 4 out of 5.

it means nothing to Brady/BB legacy, theirs is cemented and will probably never again be threatened by anyone in modern day NFL

HOWEVER
as a franchise, and just for fun...i want three more things to happen
1. we win SB next year to make it 3/4 again, and tie w/ steelers at 6 for most as a team
2. we go 19-0 two years from now to be undefeated & win 3 SB in a row (never been done) & embarrass the giants in the SB to do it & get #7 making Patriots team having the most lombardis in NFL

but those things are a pipedream for the most part and i accept that...from this point on Im going to gloat and be happy and talk up the patriots and BB and Brady as much as possible, b/c we only have a few years left w/ them

but if those things happened, it would be mind blowing
I think Pats will be favorites to at least be in the SB the rest of Brady's years, usually winning it.

The legacy is there they can simply enhance it from here on out.

4 and 5 were really the critical ones...now hes just chasing himself and a basketball player which I cant believe Im even typing.
he is chasing a few basketball players to be fair

Obviously the first 3 were huge as that established the dynasty, Then came the quest for 4 to tie Montana and cement Brady as the GOAT for most. Also on the heels of deflategate and the first win since spygate it was a huge win for the franchise and legacy. #5 gave that separation with Brady/BB and the franchise. This is now the best dynasty in football history (SB appearances are the tie breaker). BB has 5 and Brady has 5. Now both stand alone.

So i say this in no way trying to come across as i don't want #6 but how important do you think is it? Is anything really left to prove or achieve. Sure it be fun to chase the Steelers who have 6 rings and tie them or just maybe some crazy way end with 7 (I will worry about getting in position to get 6 first).

However they don't seem as important miles stones as the 4th and 5th were at least to me. Again I am not saying I don't care about #6 cause I damn well do but are the story lines running out here?

Personally I think if we do get #6 then #7 is a much better story line.

I've given your post some thought.

The Squealers have 6 Super Bowls. That would be the next accomplishment for the franchise and then #7 to surpass them.

But for BB and TB12...their legacies are secure.

I feel exactly the same way: wonderful if we get more, but this was the ultimate one in which the greatest coach and greatest quarterback of all time made it official and unarguable, and did it in the most unforgettable game imaginable. The one thing you can say about a sixth would be that it would tie us with Pitt for most Super Bowl wins by a franchise (even sweeter, because we would get all ours with one QB and one coach). I absolutely think they can do it.
None of us want to drift into post dynasty 49er land though. I want this organization to maximize this dynasty with as many titles as possible while also always retooling.

I've given your post some thought.

The Squealers have 6 Super Bowls. That would be the next accomplishment for the franchise and then #7 to surpass them.

But for BB and TB12...their legacies are secure.
Yes, and Steelers fans are already freaking out on their boards about "protecting" their 6.

Not exactly my personal feelings, but just nationwide...

3 = Still needs one more to be in GOAT conversation
4 = He's the GOAT, some people will still argue Montana but 60/40 Brady.
5 = At this point the majority (95%) need to admit Brady is goat. There will still be some hold outs. Since it's ""only""" one more than Montana
6 = End it, it's over, 100%. Brady is Mr. Football. More rings than any player in NFL history, as many as Montana + Manning combined. Done.

I mean, I already feel like that with 5, but I'm accounting for morons as well.

Being a fan since the 70's I can tell you its been gravy for me since the first one!

Just keep winning SBs just to piss everybody off.

I love reading posts from other fans who say they're done watching football because the Pats always win.

We want 6? I want 7.
9 would be a nice number, leaves Tom one finger for his wedding ring. Seriously though I didn't need another championship after 49 but I would enjoy if the pattern of championships was identical both times. Three in four years.

And legacy wise 6 is irrelevant at this point. Anyone who doesn't see how good BB and Brady are in denial and will always be at this point never were anyway

Just stunned me to think there are drinking age Patriots fans who even if they started watching at 6 years old have never known a bad patriots team.

I still remember what everyone was calling the stupa bowl back when the Colts and Pats played the last game of the season for the right to the first overall draft pick.

We won (the first overall pick). Kenneth Sims!

I think TB & BB have at least one more in them. I want back to back wins with a more convincing margin but like others have said my prayers were answered in 2001 and the rest of this has been a gravyful dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes