PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watch out for the NFL* shenanigans today. Footballs will be measured during today's game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Ok! NFJL* is credible and Blandino running instant replay duties to boot. Gotta luv 'Integrity' here.

They are counting on getting favorable results by choosing a game that has a similar temp but not wet.
They are pathetic!

Exactly! how'bout when its like 30 degrees or lower, constant rain snow, then lets see PSI.

How can this even be accurate if it's not raining too?

It's all about giving them enough time to warm up. Wet takes longer. They will swap out the balls they are testing with the back up footballs.

If they really wanted to see how weather affects pressure they would test them on the sidelines during the game.

If they really wanted a game to be played with footballs at 13 psi they would inflate them on the sidelines and not in a room that is X degrees warmer or colder.

It's not pedantic at all. This conflation of psi and weight is at the heart of why the ignorant think this is an important issue. Maybe if we converted to pascals so the word 'pound' isn't invoked...

I recall that back during the debacle a sports science piece stated that 2 psi was equivalent to the weight of a dollar bill, so negligible but still there was a weight difference. They went on to say that the rain added more weight to the ball than that lost by the lower psi.

Pats should set up extra cameras and hire investigators to shadow these NFL frauds! Just to prevent any league shenanigans.

We already know they will be taking the pressure readings while the balls are cold for us right at the very start of the halftime, and right before the end of the halftime for the Titans!

Probably never record temperatures or ball measurement order. Probably use several different gauges and never record which one is used on which ball and who did the measuring!

Just an unauthorized release after the game that the league found no change in ball pressure at all! See 'we told you' type of leak!

I recall that back during the debacle a sports science piece stated that 2 psi was equivalent to the weight of a dollar bill, so negligible but still there was a weight difference. They went on to say that the rain added more weight to the ball than that lost by the lower psi.
Nope. Psi can go down without the mass of the ball changing one iota if that reduction in psi comes from temperature change alone. Weight only goes down if air is removed

Awesome. All my anger is back. This can't be good for me.

They'll measure out in the cold 3 times, it'll be the same, the narrative will be "we were right".

[QUOTE="Ross12, post: 4481206, member: 33895"]I hope the Pats film their crew inflating the footballs to spec and have video proof of them handing them off to the refs without any other chance for alteration.

However, even if the numbers come out and aren't favorable (they may not be, since it's not a wet game), who gives a s***? The NYJFL already punished the Pats for it. What're they gonna do? Dock an extra pick after the fact just 'cause?

However, IMO I don't think we will ever hear the results.[/QUOTE]

Commish would dock us more draft picks for filming from an unapproved location or some ****

I thought that they were doing this at every game? This is the first time I've heard that it's random. As others have said, suspicious that the NFL chose this game as the first where they announced they were doing it.

There are four outcomes to this:

1. NFL measures everything properly, but under different conditions than the AFCCG. They take initial measurements on the sideline or allow the footballs to equilibrate at halftime. It doesn't look like the PSI levels drop in cold weather, and we look bad again.

2. NFL measures footballs the same way as they did in the AFCCG and finds that the PSI drops. However they lie about the measurements, we look bad again.

3. NFL doesn't say anything. That's how you know they found the PSI dropped. For some reason, they don't want to lie about it. If you don't hear anything, that exonerates us.

4. NFL reports accurate measurements that the PSI drops naturally in cold weather. Ha just kidding! That would never happen.

Either they'll measure them immediately when they hit the cold (to show no PSI differences) or wait until the balls are warmed up (to show little to no PSI differences). What they won't do is measure the balls outside at halftime or right when they first get inside.

Science should be able to tell us the expected/range of PSI based on temperature.

Simply stated, this is rigged for their benefit and the Patriot detriment.

Won't the Balls be at room temperature when first measured? Than at 40 degrees at halftime? Therer should be a decent difference.

Somebody tell them how much air weighs, it must be a mistake.

So if Brady sits this one out and they state that the "random" testing shows tampering, do we lose JG for 4 games or would he just get a fine for an equipment violation?

Kidding btw.

Either they'll measure them immediately when they hit the cold (to show no PSI differences) or wait until the balls are warmed up (to show little to no PSI differences). What they won't do is measure the balls outside at halftime or right when they first get inside.

Science should be able to tell us the expected/range of PSI based on temperature.

Simply stated, this is rigged for their benefit and the Patriot detriment.

According to the testing procedure they released a few months ago they are going to bring them into the locker room and swap them out with the backup footballs.

But yeah they are not going to show any "cold" readings.

How can this even be accurate if it's not raining too?

I don't think they are trying to compare these measurements with what happened in the AFCCG. This is a new protocol they started this season. Their procedures are suspect though.

Surely this just gives Brady more incentive than usual to throw 5+ TDs to Gronk in the first half so that he can slam as many balls into the turf as possible?

In all seriousness, I fully expect the NFL to twist any pressure readings to suit their ridiculous contention. No rain? No guarantee that one team will be using their balls almost exclusively for the last 7 minutes of the half (as was the case in the AFCCG)? No guarantee that the same sequence of half time measurements will be used?

This will be like comparing apples to oranges, despite the Ideal Gas Law occurring in both examples.

They better start picking more games (not just Pats ones) now that the weather has the potential to be similar to that of January

I'm sure the refs will have a booth conference with NY to make sure the measurements are what the league wants.......I mean accurate.

Surely this just gives Brady more incentive than usual to throw 5+ TDs to Gronk in the first half so that he can slam as many balls into the turf as possible?

In all seriousness, I fully expect the NFL to twist any pressure readings to suit their ridiculous contention. No rain? No guarantee that one team will be using their balls almost exclusively for the last 7 minutes of the half (as was the case in the AFCCG)? No guarantee that the same sequence of half time measurements will be used?

This will be like comparing apples to oranges, despite the Ideal Gas Law occurring in both examples.

Spoken like an engineer.
The NYJFL has NO IDEA WHATSOEVER of what constitutes a controlled experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents