PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was Matt Patricia overrated for his coaching here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not by me. His micro managing condescending attitude doesn’t fit in with the players. His defense was soft as **** when he was coordinator and was allergic to pressuring the QB. I was happy when he left

flores was and is an awesome coach

The bottom line is that new coach hires are like 3rd round draft picks. Vast majority do not make it for one reason or another. They almost all go to bad teams and it is hard to get a program established before the owner and fans get impatient. Impossible to tell how impactful Patricia was with the Patriots as we all know BB has a ton of influence but he is clearly already on the hot seat. There are probably only 5 or 6 coaches in the league that are considered good to great (BB, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Reid, Payton) and a handful that look promising at the moment but who knows if they will have sustained success. The rest could be available as coordinators in a year or two.

Probably but I would take him over the Kindergarten Crew we currently have.

Patricia had the following on defense in 2015:

Chandler Jones
Akiem Hicks
Malcom Brown
Rob Ninkovich/Jabaal Sheard

Dont’a Hightower
Jamie Collins

Malcolm Butler
Logan Ryan
Justin Coleman

Devin McCourty
Patrick Chung/Duron Harmon

He thought it was a good idea to feel out Peyton Manning with zone & didn’t start attacking until the second half. Clown.

mattpatriciasb1.jpg

3 Mountain Dews, 3 cups of coffee, and a Propel water which is loaded with sugar. This man may have a widow maker before he gets fired.

Media overrated him because he was a "rocket scientist" and thought it was so cute he wore a pencil in his ear.

Pats defenders indirectly said they liked the approach of Flores over Patricia's as the D was more simplified. Pats D under Patricia most of the time looked hesitant and waited for their opponents to come to them. This made them look they were on ice skates when trying to react as their opponent was running full speed at them.

I will be shocked if he is not fired by year's end along with Quinn. Trey Flowers is also my pick for cap casualty and coming back to the Pats or Dolphins. Awful signing by him and Quinn and that alone should've been a fireable offense.
Yeah I wasn't a fan of Patricia's defensive zone scheme, i.e. always maintain a sizeable zone of distance between you and your opponent.

Loved the Goodell clown shirt though, that was brave.

Like others have said; loved the clown shirt, and thought maybe he could be the long lost D coordinator we'd been looking for since Crennel left. Alas, he was decent, not terrible, not great. The talent on the team bailed him out at times, especially in the playoffs with guys like Hightower making clutch play after clutch play.

Bottom line; if he were fired, I wouldn't be in a rush to have him back.

Matt Patricia sucks.........................................................except when he schooled Tompa (133 yds passing, 54% comp. rate) in 2018 (26-10)
Mike Vrabel sucks (exaggeration for effect)........except when he schooled Tompa (0 TDs, 1 INT, 54% comp. rate) in the playoffs last year (20-13)
Brian Flores sucks (exaggeration for effect).........except when he schooled Tompa (55% comp. rate) in week 17 last year (27-24)

Funny how so many ex NE coaches (player) who know Tompa's game......beat Tompa
Joe Judge finds this interesting as well
----------------------------------------------------------
Sidebar: Brady comp. rate last night.....55%....despite weapons galore

I was never a huge Patricia fan. I didn't think he was aggressive enough. He didn't seem to like to put a lot of pressure on QBs and let the secondary make the plays. We saw how significant it was when Flores took over the defense and he got much more aggressive in his play calling.

I just never got how McDaniels always got killed by fans when Patricia seemed to get a free pass. We would lose a game where the offense cores 28 points and people want to kill McDaniels because it wasn't 35 points. But if you score 28 points on offense, it is on the defense if you lose IMHO. Even with Brady.

keep band-don't-break-Patricia-scheme on a different planet please, don't want to see him for the Pats as DC

The difference between Patricia and Flores was so glaring it was ridiculous, and it's obvious that Flores was/is a really good coach. That's been part of Patricia's problem in Detroit. Here, with his philosophy, the defense could keep it close and most of the time, Brady bailed them out but there were quite a few nail-biters. In Detroit, they keep it close but Stafford comes up empty and that's why they've lost so many close games.

I like the change in philosophy and not letting teams go up and down the field while hoping for the best between the 20s. Granted this season has been frustrating at times, but that part has been exacerbated by the fact the offense is struggling to put up points. However, Patricia's departure and Flores' ascension was such a stark contrast that it does make me question that philosophy and how much more successful they might have been if a few games had been coached differently. I understand they did win a title with him, but I do wonder how much better they really could have been knowing what we know now.

The difference between Patricia and Flores was so glaring it was ridiculous, and it's obvious that Flores was/is a really good coach. That's been part of Patricia's problem in Detroit. Here, with his philosophy, the defense could keep it close and most of the time, Brady bailed them out but there were quite a few nail-biters. In Detroit, they keep it close but Stafford comes up empty and that's why they've lost so many close games.

I like the change in philosophy and not letting teams go up and down the field while hoping for the best between the 20s. Granted this season has been frustrating at times, but that part has been exacerbated by the fact the offense is struggling to put up points. However, Patricia's departure and Flores' ascension was such a stark contrast that it does make me question that philosophy and how much more successful they might have been if a few games had been coached differently. I understand they did win a title with him, but I do wonder how much better they really could have been knowing what we know now.
And how Belichick seemed oblivious to all this in hindsight.

I liked him at the time but in hindsight the dude was spoiled with an insane amount of defensive talent that he underachieved with. Flores took the defense to another level with less talent and right now looks to be the better HC of the two.

Just something I’ve been thinking about seeing how he’s fared as a HC. He’s just not good at it.

Our defense only improved after he left. Plus Flores has been much more successful working with less as a HC out in Miami.

We had good defenses under his watch as well, sure. But how much of that was more BB?
Is this a serious question?!?!?! Of course he was overrated!!!!:rofl:

Media overrated him because he was a "rocket scientist" and thought it was so cute he wore a pencil in his ear.

Pats defenders indirectly said they liked the approach of Flores over Patricia's as the D was more simplified. Pats D under Patricia most of the time looked hesitant and waited for their opponents to come to them. This made them look they were on ice skates when trying to react as their opponent was running full speed at them.

I will be shocked if he is not fired by year's end along with Quinn. Trey Flowers is also my pick for cap casualty and coming back to the Pats or Dolphins. Awful signing by him and Quinn and that alone should've been a fireable offense.
The stiff should have been fired last year and probably before that....he and Gase are today’s Marvin Lewis and Jason Garrett:)

There was a very, very brief period of time where our defense was good and we believed Patricia was the reason for it. That was 2016. Since then, just about everything that happened in New England and Detroit has made him look worse. Now it's hard to argue he was doing anything but holding back how good our defense could have been, even during the good times.

We just lost to one yesterday lol

We actually have a history of doing that. We lost to the ****ing McDaniels Broncos and Patricia Lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes