PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was Matt Patricia overrated for his coaching here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Just something I’ve been thinking about seeing how he’s fared as a HC. He’s just not good at it.

Our defense only improved after he left. Plus Flores has been much more successful working with less as a HC out in Miami.

We had good defenses under his watch as well, sure. But how much of that was more BB?

Overrated by who?

Because I don't remember him being all that beloved here. I don't miss his bend-then-possibly-break defenses even slightly.

Overrated by who?

Because I don't remember him being all that beloved here. I don't miss his bend-then-possibly-break defenses even slightly.
Yes

Boy, compare the defense in his last game here super bowl LII to super bowl LII the next year where he was replaced by nobody, it doesn't look good.

I thought 2016 was pretty brilliant how well we did n terms of ppg with really not a ton of talent defensively but good depth. They were great in the playoffs too , shutting down pitt , holding atl to 21 points and getting how many stops in a row to allow the comeback. It was like a perfectly oiled machine. Not sure how much of that was patricia and how much was bb.

I liked Patricia well enough here but he looks inflexible and counterproductive in Detroit. Meanwhile Flores looks like a hidden mastermind so far in Miami. But things can still change. Watching games of both teams last season the defenses reminded me of how the Patriots played during each of their tenures. The Lions frustratingly conservative, and the Dolphins too aggressive for their level of talent. This year the Dolphins' level of talent has improved so much it unlocks the scheme and they're now a top ten defense, and Detroit is still meh.

I USED to think Matt was good and favored him over Josh as the Hair (sic) Apparent.
I have changed my opinion...about both guys as HC.

P.S. He'll always have a place in my heart for wearing the Goodell clown sweatshirt

Just something I’ve been thinking about seeing how he’s fared as a HC. He’s just not good at it.

Our defense only improved after he left. Plus Flores has been much more successful working with less as a HC out in Miami.

We had good defenses under his watch as well, sure. But how much of that was more BB?
The Patriots somehow won despite Patricia being the Defensive Cord. He was horrid. His bend don't break scheme blew.

I believe there's a list of coordinators who've worked under Belichick who leave and don't accomplish d*ck. He's probably on that list.

We just lost to one yesterday lol
Romeo is one of the few who have had success outside BB's umbrella. Flores seems to be doing very well in Miami, unfortunately. I loved his iterations of the defense. Aggressive. Not this "lets make the game hard on this mobile qb by not actually rushing him at all and simplifying things for him" idiocy.

Hard to tell. Truth is : seems like there are plenty of examples, historically, of VG coordinators who didn’t pan out as HC.
Bud Carson, **** LeBeau, Norv Turner, Gary Kubiak, Todd Haley, Kevin Gilbride, Bill Callahan, Ryan (brothers & father)...

EDIT Kubiak had success. I’ll add Gregg Williams in his place.

Last edited:
Yes unequivocally. I've thought this for awhile. Patricia had an treasure trove on defense. He had Collins, Jones, Revis, Butler, Hightower, Mayo, Wiflork, Gilmore, Van Noy, Flowers, Long, Sheard, McCourty, Chung, Ryan, Ninkovitch. They were awesome so we all assumed Van Noy who inherited the roster after the kinda crap years of 09-11 was a reason. Nope. Soon as he was gone we realized that he was far too conservative and Flores was instantly a massive improvement, then Belichick was an even bigger improvement when he said screw it last year and blitzed all the time

Media overrated him because he was a "rocket scientist" and thought it was so cute he wore a pencil in his ear.

Pats defenders indirectly said they liked the approach of Flores over Patricia's as the D was more simplified. Pats D under Patricia most of the time looked hesitant and waited for their opponents to come to them. This made them look they were on ice skates when trying to react as their opponent was running full speed at them.

I will be shocked if he is not fired by year's end along with Quinn. Trey Flowers is also my pick for cap casualty and coming back to the Pats or Dolphins. Awful signing by him and Quinn and that alone should've been a fireable offense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey