PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The future of Matt Patricia

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
was reading an article on the Patriots wire ... the article stated that Matt Patricias Detroit Lions subsidy is ending after this season...

With Patricia being out as the de facto OC (conjecture based of the team interviewing OC replacements), it begs the question - Whats going to happen with Matt Patricia? Obviously, with the Jerod Mayo situation, combined with the presence of Steve Belichick apparently the de facto DC, I don't think there is a place for him on the defensive side of the ball, where he has the most experience...

If he stays in New England, whats his role? the undefined role of offensive assistant? does he get tabbed as assistant HC? does he take over the role of OL coach? God knows the O-Line desperately needs a coach who isn't splitting time between roles... I think a lot of the issues with Wynn could have been avoided if there was a full time coach in that position, not Matt, with a little help from Billy Yates... Two guys? The potential for mixed messages is multiplied by a factor of four in a situation like that (that is a rigorously studied, scientifically calculated P.F.T.A. number)...

Does he move into the front office? take over the role Ernie held for so many decades? This is the least likely option imo... Ernie had a skill set that is not easy to replicate... While it can be done, how many years will it take for MP to learn that role... too many is my answer... Does he step into more of a front office role?

Does he have a future in New England?
Should he have a future in New England?
Should he have a future in coaching in New England?
Would he make a good DC candidate for another team?

Do you think he stays? Greg Bedard, in that article, said on the Hub that he thought that based on his ties to BB, and how he's been used, its most likely he remains in New England, if RKK ponies up the dough for a new contract...

Glitch Mcdonalds GIF

Joking. I’m fine with anything except being within 10 yards of play calling.

Maximum security prison (in the United States, preferably the south)

I don’t want him anywhere near the Offense
I don‘t hate him and want him totally out of the organization. Obviously he did well while here as our DC so he has a great football mind and I am sure he can still be a asset somewhere in the Organization
BB did him no favors hanging him out as OC this year
BB likes Matt and respects him so I don’t see him ousting him from the building because of BB’s mistake. He puts him upstairs and close to him in some managerial position
I heard his contract payout from the Lions ends this year so Kraft would have to pay a modest amount to keep him here

I like MP. Things didn’t go well on offense this season and he was a part of the problem. Other problems include horrendous redzone execution, untimely/bad OL play, injuries, ridiculously bad fumbles, uneven/ bad QB play, covered receivers…

Fans who think MP is over 50% of the problem are glossing over the other factors imo. He is to blame. But hardly as much as posters here want to think.

I think he moves back into his advisor/off brand Ernie Adams role.
I hope you are right. He is an intelligent man. An advisory role would be best.

Obviously, we want him for away from offensive play calling. But I also want him far away fro defensive play calling. Never was impressed with the D when he was DC. It got better with Flores.

I hope you are right. He is an intelligent man. An advisory role would be best.

Obviously, we want him for away from offensive play calling. But I also want him far away fro defensive play calling. Never was impressed with the D when he was DC. It got better with Flores.
MP is obviously football smart else BB wouldn't have taken him onboard but he seems not to work well at game speed. He needs a role where he can apply his skills contemplatively, not in the heat of action.

Knowledgeable trusted coaches are few and far between and you dont kick them to curb just because they were dealt a losing hand.

Whats so surprising is that so many people here believe that Patricia had complete autonomy over offensive decisions. BB would never allow it and has his finger on every aspect of the Pats team. BB delegates authority, but he did not turn Patricia loose as if he was Charlie Weis.

Its going to comical to see BOB go ballistic after Jones does not execute the game plan. Crying to Kraft that BOB was mean to me wont fly.

Knowledgeable trusted coaches are few and far between and you dont kick them to curb just because they were dealt a losing hand.

Whats so surprising is that so many people here believe that Patricia had complete autonomy over offensive decisions. BB would never allow it and has his finger on every aspect of the Pats team. BB delegates authority, but he did not turn Patricia loose as if he was Charlie Weis.

Its going to comical to see BOB go ballistic after Jones does not execute the game plan. Crying to Kraft that BOB was mean to me wont fly.
Its on BB, that much is for sure. He said so. Matt did the best he could, with what he was given vs his too many responsibilities... at a certain point he should have said Bill, I can't do both roles (OL & OC) ... thats on him, and an indicator that he needs to learn how to say "No" to BB ...

I think he stays on the coaching side... as an undefined assistant... that would be the cheapest route for the team to take, outside of letting him go, so it seems most likely...

Its on BB, that much is for sure. He said so. Matt did the best he could, with what he was given vs his too many responsibilities... at a certain point he should have said Bill, I can't do both roles (OL & OC) ... thats on him, and an indicator that he needs to learn how to say "No" to BB ...

I think he stays on the coaching side... as an undefined assistant... that would be the cheapest route for the team to take, outside of letting him go, so it seems most likely...
A HC or OC is only as good as their QB.

Andy Reid was run out of Philadelphia. SF has a legit shot at winning the Lombardi Cup if Purdy can keep playing at this level.

A HC or OC is only as good as their QB.

Andy Reid was run out of Philadelphia. SF has a legit shot at winning the Lombardi Cup if Purdy can keep playing at this level.
there was a lot of turmoil in Philly when Andy Reid was let go iirc... his son garrett died that same year... the team wasnt focused... it wasnt that they ran him out of town, the iggles let his contract expire... maybe thats just quibbling... but they literally ran chip kelly out of town before the season was over...

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back